Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on NSLU2 (Anyone got it working lately)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on NSLU2 (Anyone got it working lately) Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has gotten an install of Gentoo recently working on a slug. I am pouring over the docs ATM and when I get home I gonna give it a go. Just was looking to see if there were any recent successes in this.

[EDIT]

Well just wanted to let everyone know that the WIKI is a little off and I will be updating it, so far all is good and emerging samba and soon to get the file sharing working.

[/EDIT]
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I started installing Gentoo on my Linksys NSLU2 a few days ago and now finally almost everything looks good. I ran into a few problems but nothing that couldn't be solved with a bit of thinking and googling.

The major problem has been the age of the initial tarball (stage3-armeb-uclibc-softfloat-2005.1.tar.bz2), making it hard to upgrade some things.

• Python was blocking itself
    Python-updater was blocked by the old python version and the new python didn't want to install without python-updater. Unmerging python was not an option, because portage/emerge needs python. Finally got around that by emerging python with --nodeps.

• The old version of portage (2.0.x) was not happy with the portage tree and I had to calculate the digests for every new package until I got portage upgraded.

• I lost one or two days of compiling by upgrading to gcc-4.1.2 which compiled fine but I couldn't compile uclibc after that. Now I'm using gcc-3.4.6 (masked gcc-4.x) and I'm almost through emerge -eav world.

• Had to mask syslog-ng-2.x because it needs libiconv which isn't available for uclibc.

• gawk and screen won't compile with uclibc-0.9.28. Got a workaround for gawk.

Didn't try to compile a kernel yet. I'm running the one from the flashed firmware (SlugOS, OpenSlug, whatever, I'm always confusing these names ...).

If it helps anybody I can offer a tarball of my system for download after it has finished compiling.

Andreas
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen wont compile, that is odd I got it working on mine.

Basicly all I have had to do thus far is:

• The same Python issue you had
  • Used metalog instead of syslog-ng as it seemed to have some glib dep
  • Changed the make flag to what I used for my headless severs and also by the advise of "solar" in #gentoo-embedded
    Code:
    CFLAGS="-march=armv5t -mtune=xscale -Os -pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -Wstack-protector -Wformat=2 -DAI_ADDRCONFIG=0x00000400"
    CHOST="armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    #UCLIBC_CPU="ARM_XSCALE" <-- Seemed to cause an issue with some of the packages compiling; recommended to use by wiki
    USE="${USE} -X -alsa -arts -bitmap-fonts -emboss -encode -gif -gnome -gtk"
    USE="${USE} -gtk2 -ipv6 -jpeg -kde -motif -mp3 -vorbis -mpeg -ogg -opengl"
    USE="${USE} -oss -png -qt -avi -quicktime -sdl -truetype -truetype-fonts"
    USE="${USE} -type1-fonts -mysql"
    USE="$(USE) uclibc"

So far I have two outstanding issues that I hope to fix after my emerge -e system finishes

• zlib does not compile correctly
  • busybox does not compile correctly

Correct me if I am wrong but I dont realy need busybox correct?
Thanks for the warning on gcc as I was just compiling that to see what goes. Ill mask it and put it off for another day.
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the only one having troubles with screen, see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=618167
If you got it compiled I will compare the flags you are using in make.conf. Maybe I'll find the problem this way.

Zlib and busybox compile fine on my device. Emerge -e world completed without any errors yesterday. I think you are right, you should not need busybox. Here are the essential parts of my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -mbig-endian -Os -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
USE="-alsa -apache2 -arts -expat -gnome -ipv6 -kde -kerberos -ldap -qt -qt3 -qt4 -bitmap-fonts -truetype-fonts -type1-fonts -xorg justify samba uclibc"
FEATURES="ccache noman noinfo nodoc"
UCLIBC_CPU="ARM_XSCALE"

Andreas
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_st wrote:
I'm not the only one having troubles with screen, see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=618167
If you got it compiled I will compare the flags you are using in make.conf. Maybe I'll find the problem this way.

Zlib and busybox compile fine on my device. Emerge -e world completed without any errors yesterday. I think you are right, you should not need busybox. Here are the essential parts of my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -mbig-endian -Os -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
USE="-alsa -apache2 -arts -expat -gnome -ipv6 -kde -kerberos -ldap -qt -qt3 -qt4 -bitmap-fonts -truetype-fonts -type1-fonts -xorg justify samba uclibc"
FEATURES="ccache noman noinfo nodoc"
UCLIBC_CPU="ARM_XSCALE"

Andreas

can you post the output of:
Code:
ls -lah /etc/make.profile

andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, here is my make.profile:
Code:
$ ls -lah /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Dec 20 08:03 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/arm
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_st wrote:
Yes, here is my make.profile:
Code:
$ ls -lah /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Dec 20 08:03 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/arm

Nice :D and gcc version? what vercion of gcc are you runnig ? i masked 4.x cause i read that id brakes some packages for arm.
this is my packages.mask:
Quote:

>=sys-devel/gcc-4.0
>=app-admin/syslog-ng-2.0.5
>=sys-libs/db-4.3.28
>=sys-apps/busybox-1.6.2
>=sys-apps/gawk-3.1.5-r4
>=net-firewall/iptables-1.3.8-r3
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.12r-r9
>=sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.18

and this is the output of my `emerge --info`:
Code:
Portage 2.1.3.19 (uclibc/arm, gcc-3.4.6, uclibc-0.9.28.3-r0, 2.6.16 armv5teb)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16 armv5teb XScale-IXP42x Family rev 1 (v5b)
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:47:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p17-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r6
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.10-r5
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.5, 1.7.9-r1, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.24
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="arm"
CBUILD="armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc"
CFLAGS="-march=armv5t -mtune=xscale -mbig-endian -Os -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/bind"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv5t -mtune=xscale -mbig-endian -Os -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks metadata-transfer nodoc noinfo noman sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://64.50.238.52/ http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo http://mirror.utdlug.org/linux/distributions/gentoo/ http://gentoo.netnitco.net"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="arm automount bash-completion bzip2 caps ccache cgi cli cracklib crypt curl curlwrappers embedded ftp geoip gif gzip httpd idn ipfilter iproute2 jpeg lighttpd logrotate mail mailwrapper minimal mudflap ncurses nfs offensive openmp pcre perl png readline server session shaper softquota spl ssl syslog tcpd tcpwrapper tidy uclibc unicode unzip usb vhosts vim vim-syntax vroot xinetd xml xtended zip zlib" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="uclibc" KERNEL="linux" USERLAND="GNU"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

my system if fully working but there are some packages that i have to mask in order for it to work properly.
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned above that I'm using gcc-3.4.6.
Gcc-4.1.2 compiled fine but couldn't compile uclibc.
I have masked only the following:
Code:
>=sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.12
>=app-admin/syslog-ng-2.0.0
>=sys-devel/gcc-4
sys-fs/udev

I have not installed sys-libs/db and net-firewall/iptables.
I have installed busybox-1.7.4 and gawk-3.1.5-r5.
Winston
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_st wrote:

Andreas

I had your screen issue as well, and it has already been dealt with: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=168281 :-)

The provided patch fixed it for me - Good luck!
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will have a look at the patch.
Registered Linux user #62727
Winston
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_st wrote:

I have not installed sys-libs/db

I found just another fix while obviously walking your exact same path. sys-libs/db fails during econf because "/usr/bin/rpcgen" can not be found. It seems to be provided by glibc, but not so by uclibc. There is a package called openrpcgen, which brings what we need: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182956 I only had to add the "arm" keyword in the ebuild file and now sys-libs/db does not complain anymore.

Hope, this helps. :-)

PS: Do you use a crossdev-environment with distcc on a more powerful gentoo system? It seems like a reasonable thing to do.
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not installed sys-libs/db because it is not a dependency of any of my installed packages. Orvtech mentioned that he has masked sys-libs/db >= 4.3.28. I just don't need it at the moment.

Currently I'm not using distcc. I would probably use it if I would have the same version of gcc on the NSLU2 and my dual Athlon machine but I have 3.4.6 on the slug and 4.1.2 on the server and didn't want to install another gcc version.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Got an NSLU2 the other day and have been trying to get it up and running with Gentoo. Initially did the install on the USB drive whilst it was attached to my main comp, but quickly found it was impossible to chroot into it.

Anyway, its connected to the NSLU2 which is running SlugOS-4.8beta and I've been following the two Wiki articles and am now having a bit of a problem.

When I first mounted and chrooted to the Gentoo install I got the following error when trying to do anything with portage/emerge...

Code:

# emerge --sync
libc.so.6: aborted attempt to load python!

So I tried extracting the stage3 again, wiping over everything, and this allows me to sync no problem. After that I thought the next thing to do would be to update python and portage, so python first and it installs fine using the "--nodep" flag, but if I then try to update python as one should when upgrading major versions I'm back where I started...

Code:

* Byte compiling python modules for python-2.5 .. ...                                       [ ok ]

* If you have just upgraded from an older version of python you will
 * need to run:
 * /usr/sbin/python-updater
 * This will automatically rebuild all the python dependent modules
 * to run with python-2.5.
 * Your original Python is still installed and can be accessed via
 * /usr/bin/python2.x.
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r5 merged.
>>> Recording dev-lang/python in "world" favorites file...

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
 * IMPORTANT: 1 config files in /etc need updating.
 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.
# /usr/sbin/python-updater
libc.so.6: aborted attempt to load /usr/bin/python!
 * Unable to proceed. Can not find PORTDIR. Make sure the command:
 *   portageq portdir
 * returns a value. If it doesn't, make sure you have updated to
 * latest portage version.
 * Report bugs to http://bugs.gentoo.org/
# emerge -av portage

Is this a problem that either of you have encountered before?

Some (useful) information...

Code:

# ls -lah /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 33 Mar 14 11:09 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/arm/

# cat /etc/make.conf
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
CHOST="armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arm"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.virginmedia.com http://mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/"
USE="apache2 arm bash-completion bzip2 ccache gzip logrotate pam ssl uclibc usb"
USE="${USE} -alsa -bitmap -expat -gif -truetype-fonts
FEATURES="parallel-fetch ccache -noman -noinfo -nodoc"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf
LINGUAS="en_GB"
UCLIBC_CPU="ARM_XSCALE"

Any thoughts on how to proceed? It seems I get one opportunity to emerge after extracting the stage3, I suspect "something" is going wrong when env-update is run (and >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... occurs).

If you've any notes of exactly what you did I'd be very grateful, or any solution to this seemingly circular problem.

Cheers

slack
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I really dropped gentoo from my slug and am just running SlugOS 4.8 on it. Worked OK just got tired of waiting days for a compile on it to finish.

However what stage files and what not are you using? It should not matter, but I was using SlugOS 3.10 when I did mine.

I also ran into a python problem, but my end solution was to manualy install it and rip out the others, then from there emerge worked for me. I would hope this has been fixed by now though.

Also are you getting any other errors on your emerge-sync?

I'll try ta give ya a hand, but as I said dont have gentoo on it anymore =(

<EDIT>

I also forgot to mention that you may end up having issues trying to load kernel modules too, If i remember correctly there was a way to get them into the flash, but then you had to be careful not to store too much on it or you will brick it. In my case I needed the tun device for a vpn and just could not find a clean way to do it.

</EDIT>
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have Gentoo on mine. Yes, the initial install and compiling of everything needed a lot of time but since then it just runs and I have not changed much lately.

Emerging python with --nodeps was not the only thing I had to do to come across that initial problem but I don't remember what else I tried. I think I had to emerge python twice or something like that. Your error messages don't look familiar for me. After the successful installations of python and portage the hard part was over.

If it helps I can make a tarball of my installed system. I was running emerge -e world with an up to date portage tree at the end of December or start of January. I have different CHOST and CFLAGS settings and I'm using "arm", not "~arm". If that is OK for you and you can download maybe 200MB I will upload it to one of my web servers.

Andreas
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool, thanks for the replies.

Part of the problem was that I'd messed up the config files somehow, I had tried to prep the USB HD from my desktop/server whilst awaiting delivery of the NSLU2. Changed some key system files and the error is caused because I changed CHOST too early so things were linked against glibc instead of uclibc.

Will hopefully get things working by installing from source and doing everything myself (thanks for the offer andreas_st), but might encounter some problems along the way and if I can't find a solution might post here.

Cheers,

slack
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, I'm making head-way with this. Had to emerge --nodeps python and then make the digest for each package until I had portage updated. Am now forging ahead with emerge -uDN world, but hit a problem with zlib (will return to that later). But have now hit a problem whilst trying to update uclibc...

Code:

I'm having a similar problem trying to update uclibc on an NSLU2 (which has an arm processor) running standard arm (have tried ~arm to test the -r1 and -r2 updates, but I get the same problem as below, i.e. ).

ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_udivsi3.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_udivsi3.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_divsi3.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_divsi3.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_umodsi3.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_umodsi3.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_modsi3.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_modsi3.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_dvmd_lnx.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_dvmd_lnx.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_muldi3.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_muldi3.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_fixunsdfsi.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_fixunsdfsi.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_divdi3.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_divdi3.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_moddi3.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_moddi3.oS)
ld: ERROR: /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_clz.oS) uses hardware FP, whereas libuClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP
ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-gentoo-linux-uclibc/3.4.4/libgcc.a(_clz.oS)
shared_libc.a(difftime.o): In function `difftime':
time.c:(.text+0x8): undefined reference to `__floatsidf'
time.c:(.text+0x2c): undefined reference to `__subdf3'
shared_libc.a(_fpmaxtostr.o): In function `_fpmaxtostr':
_fpmaxtostr.c:(.text+0xec): undefined reference to `__nedf2'
_fpmaxtostr.c:(.text+0x110): undefined reference to `__eqdf2'
_fpmaxtostr.c:(.text+0x12c): undefined reference to `__divdf3'
_fpmaxtostr.c:(.text+0x138): undefined reference to `__ltdf2'
_fpmaxtostr.c:(.text+0x190): undefined reference to `__muldf3'
_fpmaxtostr.c:(.text+0x384): undefined reference to `__gedf2'
_fpmaxtostr.c:(.text+0x428): undefined reference to `__adddf3'
shared_libc.a(__psfs_do_numeric.o): In function `__psfs_do_numeric':
scanf.c:(.text+0x51c): undefined reference to `__truncdfsf2'
shared_libc.a(strtof.o): In function `strtof':
strtod.c:(.text+0x1c): undefined reference to `__extendsfdf2'
make[1]: *** [shared] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.3/work/uClibc-0.9.28.3/libc'
make: *** [shared] Error 2
 * ERROR: sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.3 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 2473:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die "make failed";
 *  The die message:
 *   make failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.3/temp/environment'.

Am upgrading to gcc-3.4.6-r2 in the hope that this will resolve that, but if anyone has encountered this problem before I'd be grateful to know how it was resolved (or even if you haven't encountered it, but know how to solve it:D)

Cheers,

slack
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you any direct help but I know that there have been issues with the floating point unit. That's probably the reason why the tarball I started with had the CHOST set to "armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc". I didn't change this and you might probably also need it if you use uclibc with software FP compiled into it.

Andreas
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_st wrote:
I can't give you any direct help but I know that there have been issues with the floating point unit. That's probably the reason why the tarball I started with had the CHOST set to "armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc". I didn't change this and you might probably also need it if you use uclibc with software FP compiled into it.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going through the instructions here with a view to upgrading things, and had changed profiles and set CHOST set to "armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc" although I was working from an unpacked stage3-armeb-uclibc-2005.1.tar.bz2 as opposed to stage3-armeb-uclibc-softfloat-2005.1.tar.bz2

I think I might just start from scratch (again :roll: ) using the softfloat tarball . Isn't there some saying about 30th time lucky? Ah, well, I'll get there in the end :D Good job this is for home rather than something important!

Cheers
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

So I started again from scratch with the correct stage3, and have upgraded everything (excluding those packages mentioned here as needing to be masked). I plumped for metalog as opposed for syslog-ng too as per comments in this thread.

However, when I come to reboot from the Gentoo install (with SlugOS-4.8-beta as the firmware on the flash memory) I get activity from the disc, but it then just hangs, with the Ethernet light on green and the Ready/Status light on amber.

I have to unplug the USB drive, and then power-cycle the slug as the reset button won't do anything. It will reboot fine from the SlugOS in the flash, and I can plug the drive in again and mount it. I've been poking around in /var/log/ to see if there is anything informative, and I've found /var/log/dmesg but can't see any obvious errors with it...

/var/log/dmesg:

Linux version 2.6.21.7 (slug@otto) (gcc version 4.1.2) #1 PREEMPT Mon Dec 24 23:12:24 UTC 2007
CPU: XScale-IXP42x Family [690541f2] revision 2 (ARMv5TE), cr=000039ff
Machine: Linksys NSLU2
Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback
On node 0 totalpages: 8192
  DMA zone: 64 pages used for memmap
  DMA zone: 0 pages reserved
  DMA zone: 8128 pages, LIFO batch:0
  Normal zone: 0 pages used for memmap
CPU0: D VIVT undefined 5 cache
CPU0: I cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
CPU0: D cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
Built 1 zonelists.  Total pages: 8128
Kernel command line: rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/mtdblock4 rootfstype=jff
s2 rw init=/linuxrc noirqdebug
IRQ lockup detection disabled
PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 512 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
Memory: 32MB = 32MB total
Memory: 30292KB available (1912K code, 153K data, 84K init)
Calibrating delay loop... 266.24 BogoMIPS (lpj=1331200)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
NET: Registered protocol family 16
IXP4xx: Using 16MiB expansion bus window size
PCI: IXP4xx is host
PCI: IXP4xx Using direct access for memory space
PCI: bus0: Fast back to back transfers disabled
dmabounce: registered device 0000:00:01.0 on pci bus
dmabounce: registered device 0000:00:01.1 on pci bus
dmabounce: registered device 0000:00:01.2 on pci bus
SCSI subsystem initialized
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
Time: OSTS clocksource has been installed.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
TCP reno registered
NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.97 (double precision)
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (C) 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler deadline registered (default)
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 2 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
serial8250.0: ttyS0 at MMIO 0xc8000000 (irq = 15) is a XScale
serial8250.0: ttyS1 at MMIO 0xc8001000 (irq = 13) is a XScale
RAMDISK driver initialized: 4 RAM disks of 10240K size 1024 blocksize
IXP4XX NPE driver Version 0.3.0 initialized
NFTL driver: nftlcore.c $Revision: 1.98 $, nftlmount.c $Revision: 1.41 $
IXP4XX-Flash.0: Found 1 x16 devices at 0x0 in 16-bit bank
IXP4XX-Flash.0: Found an alias at 0x800000 for the chip at 0x0
 Intel/Sharp Extended Query Table at 0x0031
Using buffer write method
cfi_cmdset_0001: Erase suspend on write enabled
erase region 0: offset=0x0,size=0x20000,blocks=64
Searching for RedBoot partition table in IXP4XX-Flash.0 at offset 0x7e0000
6 RedBoot partitions found on MTD device IXP4XX-Flash.0
Creating 6 MTD partitions on "IXP4XX-Flash.0":
0x00000000-0x00040000 : "RedBoot"
nslu2 mac: 00:1d:7e:aa:c6:d5
0x00040000-0x00060000 : "SysConf"
0x00060000-0x00080000 : "Loader"
0x00080000-0x00180000 : "Kernel"
0x00180000-0x007e0000 : "Flashdisk"
0x007e0000-0x00800000 : "FIS directory"
npe: searching for firmware...
npe: found at 0x1c010, IXP425/NPE-B func: 00, rev: 2.1, size: 11964, id: 01000201
Image loaded to NPE-B Func:0, Rel: 2:1, Status: 82c00000
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
input: ixp4xx beeper as /class/input/input0
i2c /dev entries driver
x1205 0-006f: chip found, driver version 1.0.7
x1205 0-006f: rtc core: registered x1205 as rtc0
Registered led device: ready
Registered led device: status
Registered led device: disk-1
Registered led device: disk-2
TCP cubic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
XScale DSP coprocessor detected.
x1205 0-006f: setting the system clock to 2008-03-22 10:36:32 (1206182192)
VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 84K
PCI: enabling device 0000:00:01.2 (0140 -> 0142)
ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: EHCI Host Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: irq 26, io mem 0x48002000
ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 5 ports detected
ohci_hcd: 2006 August 04 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
PCI: enabling device 0000:00:01.0 (0140 -> 0142)
ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.0: OHCI Host Controller
ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.0: irq 28, io mem 0x48000000
usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
PCI: enabling device 0000:00:01.1 (0140 -> 0142)
ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.1: OHCI Host Controller
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.1: irq 27, io mem 0x48001000
usb usb3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WDC      WD2500JB-00GVC0  08.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 53 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 53 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 >
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
usb-storage: device scan complete
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
IXP4XX Q Manager 0.2.1 initialized.
ixp4xx_mac driver 0.3.1: eth0 on NPE-B with PHY[1] initialized
EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
Adding 498004k swap on /dev/sda2.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:498004k

So it looks like its booting up fine and loading the drivers (IXP4xx), checking RAM, USB drivers etc., and then detects the USB HD itself and gets as far as adding the swap (/dev/sda2), but no further.

I've changed the profile to...

/etc/make.profile:

# ls -alh /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Mar 17 16:03 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/arm/

and my /etc/make.conf looks like...

/etc/make.conf:

# more /etc/make.conf
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
UCLIBC_CPU="ARM_XSCALE"

# USE flags to include
USE="apache2 arm bash-completion mp3 ogg perl python ssl uclibc zlib"

# USE flags to exclude
USE="${USE} -alsa -cdr -dvd -dvdr -gnome -gtk -gtk2 -ipv6 -kde -opengl -qt3 -qt4 -X"

# Features
FEATURES="parallel-fetch ccache noman noinfo nodoc"

# emerge options
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--verbose --alphabetical"

# Layman
source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

## Gentoo sync and mirrors
SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.virginmedia.com http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gent
oo/"

# Overlay
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"

I'm loading the ipx400 modules on booting...

/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6:

# more /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
# /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6:  kernel modules to load when system boots.
#
# Note that this file is for 2.6 kernels.
#
# Add the names of modules that you'd like to load when the system
# starts into this file, one per line.  Comments begin with # and
# are ignored.  Read man modules.autoload for additional details.

# For example:
# aic7xxx
ixp400
ixp400_eth

and have the following services starting on boot...

rc-update:

# rc-update -s
            bootmisc | boot                         
             checkfs | boot                         
           checkroot | boot                         
               clock | boot                         
         consolefont | boot                         
            hostname | boot                         
             keymaps | boot                         
               local |      default nonetwork       
          localmount | boot                         
             metalog | boot                         
             modules | boot                         
            net.eth0 |      default                 
              net.lo | boot                         
            netmount |      default                 
           rmnologin | boot                         
                sshd |      default                 
               udhcp |      default                 
             urandom | boot                         
          vixie-cron |      default     

If you've any thoughts on anything I might have missed or be doing wrong I'd be very grateful.

Also any hints or tips on how to get more information as to whats going wrong would be very useful.

Please say if I should post any more config descriptions and so forth.

Thanks in advance,

slack
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem after I rebooted before I had upgraded everything. I booted SlugOS, reattached my disk, entered the chroot environment again and finished the updates. After that it booted as expected. Have you upgraded everything? Maybe you need to run revdep-rebuild. Sorry, I can't help more than that. Debugging the boot process without a monitor or at least a serial console is terrible.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi andreas_st,

Yep, I've upgraded everything reported by emerge -uDN world (thought this would maybe be a bit quicker than emerge -e system).

Portage is up-to-date, as is uclibc. gcc is masked up to >=sys-devel/gcc-4.

Hadn't thought about trying a revdep-rebuild, good shout, will try that out this evening when I get home (haven't left it up and running today).

Cheers for the input,

slack

<edit>

Just came across this post which points to settings in /etc/conf.d/rc to get more information out during the boot-process, so will be trying this too.

</edit>
andreas_st
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing: after finishing the updates I executed
Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
to be sure that everything has been built with the new toolchain. I know it is annoying because it runs a whole day but I usually do this after a (major) gcc or libc update and it assures consistency in the system. It could be possible that my system only booted after running this. I'm not sure because I don't remember.

Andreas
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that andreas.

I may just end up doing that anyway, and cross my fingers. Hopefully it will work, if not I can then try working out whats wrong.

Thanks again for the input,

slack
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven anyone manage to get metalog working on the NSLU2, i get the daemon started but it does not log anything, no errors, nothing ... syslog-ng was uninstalled during last week emerge -uDvN world since it was not suported any more (that version).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: