Stability issues on HP NetServer LCII
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl420
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Stability issues on HP NetServer LCII Reply with quote

After installing a second PII266 processor in this HP LCii, I fired up the gentoo install and proceeded as usual. I compiled EVMS and friends into the kernel (gentoo-sources), as I was planning to make a volume from the 3 9GB scsi drives in the machine. After think about it for a while I just decided to use the drives stand alone, and thats what I did, accessing them all seperatly. After running for about 2 days, I've been having lock up problems. Randomly, the computer will totally lock up, not sending any video, or accepting any connections. I though this might be due to the fact that when I installed the 2nd CPU, the VRM I installed with it seemed a little older (from an HP LH Pro, PPro machine) than the one that was installed for the first, original CPU. So as of right now, I've uninstalled the second CPU, and I'm recompiling the kernel w/o RAID or EVMS. Do you think that these stability issues could be do to the fact I was using RAID & EVMS, or the gentoo-sources in general, or does the VRM issue sound more like it would cause this kind of problem (b/c i would really like to have both CPUs in there, 266mhz just isnt going to cut it ;))

Thanks for any input,
Karl Haines
karl420
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have now recompiled the kernel w/o the extraneos BS (evms/raid) that i wasnt using. i ran the computer with only one processor for a while, with no problems. so then i slapped in the other processor. again with the freezing. Are there know stability problems with the gentoo-sources kernel, or is my hardware unstable?

Thanks,
Karl
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried removing the first CPU and replacing it with the second? Try and narrow down where the problem is.
karl420
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanilla-sources fixed the problem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: