Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
missing devices after emerge -u system. SOLVED.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: missing devices after emerge -u system. SOLVED. Reply with quote

Today i updated my system during the short period when glibc 2.3.2-r1 was marked stable. To make things even worse a new (though stable) baselayout was emerged too. On the next bootup neither my network card nor the usb mouse, etc, were found - those entries aren't in the /dev directory.
I emerged the "old" glibc 2.3.1-r4 hoping to get back to normal but it didn't help, i also tried to emerge the "old" baselayout, didn't help either.
The devfs daemon seems to be running fine.
Can anyone tell me how to get those devices back? :?

Last edited by thaldyron on Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrZoidberg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: what's up with new glibc? Reply with quote

Why did portage emerge a new glibc yesterday and now today it wants to downgrade back to the old one again?

I emerged, did etc-update, and everything seems fine except for a few error messages about missing /dev/rtc. Everything seems ok, though. Should I allow portage to downgrade?

Since this emerge takes a long time (3+ hours)
I would like to know what's wrong with the new glibc.

I have perused the forums, but its really hard to find information about just what the hell is going on with gentoo. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Did you make sure that /etc/conf.d/net, /etc/hosts, /etc/fstab, and /etc/modules.autoload were correct? etc-update will clobber these files (among others) unless you stop it. I just copied the originals before running etc-update and then copied them back afterward. This could be why so many things broke after your upgrade.
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you make sure that /etc/conf.d/net, /etc/hosts, /etc/fstab, and /etc/modules.autoload were correct?

Yes already did, they are the same as before.
Nuwen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like maybe someone thought it was stable briefly, then changed their minds. If everything seems to work it's probably fine, I'd say just leave it alone. Might just be some little thing in the ebuild that isn't going to be a problem for your system.

It sounds like /etc/modules.autoload must have been overwritten, so you'll just have to fix it. etc-update is supposed to tell you what's changed and let you check it, if it's overwriting things like that without asking you should post a bug report. There's a very good reason why it asks you to look over what it's doing. :wink:
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: what's up with new glibc? Reply with quote

DrZoidberg wrote:
Why did portage emerge a new glibc yesterday and now today it wants to downgrade back to the old one again?

I emerged, did etc-update, and everything seems fine except for a few error messages about missing /dev/rtc. Everything seems ok, though. Should I allow portage to downgrade?

No, do not downgrade. Read the very top post in the Forum, it explains what happened. You may have no problems with the version of glibc that was installed. You will have problems if you downgrade.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=62324&sid=73a8b50eddcd1618682466353e1d5aa9
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it looks like modules.autoload has been overwritten but i'm sure of _not_ been doing an "etc-update". I will try that again, maybe it's time for a bug report.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: