Random Freezes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaitz3v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Random Freezes Reply with quote

Hello,

Since I bought my laptop, I've been experiencing random freezes.

These freezes happen mostly when my CPU is not on "performance" governor and I leave the laptop idle for a while (5 minutes of system idle are enough to do the trick). These freezes happened before I've installed CPU frequency scalling, so it's not likely to be related.

When the laptop freezes, the mouse works, so as the sound (mpd). BUT when I press any key from the keyboard, it takes a veeerrryyyyy looooong time to process the key (like typing into a console a character, it shows after some 3 minutes or so). while the system is processing the key, the mouse stops to work, but the sound keeps running.

I cannot kill X, it just takes etternally. When I switch to a console (ctrl+alt+F1), after some loong time, it shows the console. When I type the login (root), it takes a good while to appear "root" typed, and when I type the password it times out.

The CPU Frequency Monitor shows that the CPU is scalled to its max, even if the system is idle and the governor is "conservative" or "on-demand".

I don't know even what configs should I post here to help you, but I would like some help. I've tried finding this error, without any success. Just tell me what configs you want, and I'll post them there.

I've put this issue in kernel because I strongly believe it's a kernel-related issue. But I don't know how to make the kernel log it's every move (or if it is even possible), so I would need some help.

Thanks for your time (and pacience)
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird... I've occaisionally seen symptoms like that, but I forget why. I think that kind of thing happens if my PCI sound card wedges out of its spot...

After a freeze, try running dmesg.

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
zaitz3v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY! Found out why that was happening.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-586988-highlight-tsstcorpcd+dvd.html?sid=2282898810f33aef70907dd76afd83db

Looks like my TSSTCorp dvd-writer and hald-addon-storage wouldn't get along. So, I've followed the guide here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Asus_A6T#Hard_Disk_Drive_.26_Optical_Disk_Drive and the problem went away (so far) with the firmware upgrade...

How do I mark this thread as SOLVED?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put [SOLVED] in the title...

poly-p man

Glad it's fixed

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Duplicate Threads, refer to the topic zaitz3v linked to above, "TSSTCorp dvd-writer randomly freezes my system [SOLVED]".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: