View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crotty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Openssh 3.4 password problems? Reply with quote

I've searched the forums, and tried compiling openssh 3.4 via emerge and directly from source, but I keep getting the same problem. When I try to log in (with the right password, as root or a normal user), it tells me permission denied, please try again. It's like this whether or not I turn on UsePrivelegeSeparation, which i doubt has anything to do with this. It was not happening with the emerge of openssh right before 3.4, but it started with 3.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Crotty
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange problem, since 3.4 works fine here on Gentoo aswell as on OpenBSD.

Man page says this about PrivilegeSeparation, althought it's not really clear (at least to me):

Code:

UsePrivilegeSeparation
             Specifies whether sshd separates privileges by creating an
             unprivileged child process to deal with incoming network traffic.
             After successful authentication, another process will be created
             that has the privilege of the authenticated user.  The goal of
             privilege separation is to prevent privilege escalation by con-
             taining any corruption within the unprivileged processes.  The
             default is ``yes''.

Perhaps try using the default config for sshd and see what gives?

Greets
crotty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: I agree, weird problem... Reply with quote

The really weird thing is that i just compiled openssl-0.9.6d and the latest openssh-3.4 from source on a redhat test box, and the same freakin thing happened...damn, i was hoping other people had this problem...
this has to be a configuration file problem, what possible option deals with this weirdness....i'm stumped....
thanks

Crotty

(oh, and i tried it with the default config files, and with the PrivSep thing, same problem... i'm gonna cry )
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your log files have anything pertinent in them?

--kurt
crotty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pertinent info from my log file: (/var/log/messages)
when i restart sshd:
sshd[14039]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22

when i telnet in:
PAM_pwdb[14016]: (login) session opened for user whoever by (uid=0)

but when i ssh in:
sshd[14039]: Failed password for whoever from 127.0.0.1 port 1033 ssh2

also, there's a modprobe error abou net-pf-10
modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-10
but isn't that for IPv6?
Could my problem be that i'm not compiling in PAM support or something like that?
Thanks in advance,
Crotty
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this same error, I've re-emerged openssh but I still get it :( Actualy, I can ssh in as the first user account I created, but none of the other ones.
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this exact smae problem. Has anyone figured out what this is about or how to fix it?

Bung-Foo
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone found a solution yet? I just ran into the same problems. But found out that root can login, no users though...
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, same issue. no solution yet. I've got a thread going on the gentoo-newbies mailing list. I'll post here if/when I find a solution.

Bung-Foo
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lied, check /etc/passwd make sure the line for your user indicates a shell to use should look like this

bung-foo:x:1000:100::/home/bung-foo:/bin/bash

shell entry should be at the end.

Bung-Foo
Xor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my 2c

do you allow root to login directly? some systems (configs) have disabled that... check you sshd_conf :)

I emerged openssh 3.4p1 in gentoo a while ago, there was no problem with the package.
Blahbbs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: That's the Ticket. Reply with quote

That's the ticket... Check your entry in the /etc/passwd file and make sure you have a shell defined. I added /bin/bash to the end of the account entry and ssh worked like a champ.

Thanks bung-foo...

--Blahbbs
bung-foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetness. glad you got it working. I picked up that info from the gentoo-newbies mailing list.

Bung-Foo
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very strange.. i just emerge and starting using openssh.. and i'm having a big problem with it..

I can login as root, and my main user.. but when i try another user (3rd),, i get password failed each time.. i've changed the password a couple time, and the shell.. aswell.. it's currently set to just /bin/bash and login's normally.. just not through ssh.. and ideas??

My goal also is for this 3rd user account to a public account, so i want it to accept all keys from everyone to excrypt each session.. it's kicks off a BBS and i thoguht this would be a good replacement for Telnetd could i be missing something with generating a key for the 'bbs' user.. hmmm
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandr4ke wrote:
when i try another user (3rd),, i get password failed each time. and ideas??

Try shutting down the main sshd daemon with
Code:
# /etc/init.d/ssh stop
...then try running it in debugging mode with something like:
Code:
# /usr/sbin/sshd -d
...see the sshd man page for information about making the debugging mode more verbose.

Then try to connect and see if you get some more detailed information that might help you diagnose just where the connection is breaking down. If the client side is using openssh also, you can try running it in verbose mode (-v) to get debug messages on that side too. Otherwise, see the documentation for the client you are using.
EPrime
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw, I enabled PrivSep here (Mandrake 7.2) and haven't had a problem with ssh or anything related.

Given that this option has less code running as root the least one should do is try it out and if it doesn't work or causes unwanted side-effects alternatives can be tried.

I'd prefer not to get into the fingerpointing business, so this is a purely technical observation from my own experience with it.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After consulting with jmglov, his post has been split into its own thread in Gentoo Chat.
jmglov
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPrime wrote:
Fwiw, I enabled PrivSep here (Mandrake 7.2) and haven't had a problem with ssh or anything related.

Red Hat and Mandrake released new RPMs with PrivSep enabled. I am sure that it works without overt problems on a lot of systems. Thats is not the question.

The question is rather, "why should we be running largely untested, unaudited code on mission-critical and/or security-sensitive servers?"

My answer is, "we should not!"

EPrime wrote:
Given that this option has less code running as root the least one should do is try it out and if it doesn't work or causes unwanted side-effects alternatives can be tried.

I agree that PrivSep is, in theory, a damned good idea. Unix philosophy has long dictated two things:

1) Keep it simple, stupid, and
2) Do *not* use root unless you need to!

OpenSSH, in its 3.1 incarnation, violated both of those maxims. So PrivSep is certainly A Good Idea(tm), and may well become A Good Thing(tm). But that does not mean that it is now. The code is so new that the OpenSSH team has not been able to port it to many different platforms. And the individual vendors are are responsible in the end for releasing PrivSep-enabled packages or not. Some vendors, like Red Hat and Mandrake, did. Others, like Sun, did not.

I happen to think that Sun is right in the case. So why did Red Hat and Mandrake quickly release packages and Sun not? Because, in the end, Sun *has* to be accountable to its customers. Red Hat has shown in the past that it is willing to push out beta-level code in its actual releases (and I refer to the gcc-2.96 fiasco[1]).

EPrime wrote:
I'd prefer not to get into the fingerpointing business, so this is a purely technical observation from my own experience with it.

The reason that I posted my largely political attack on how the OpenSSH team handled the whole PrivSep issue is that I felt they used a technical vulnerability to slingshot a political issue past otherwise reluctant vendors. Pretty shady stuff, if you ask me.

--Josh Glover

[1] Here is a pro-Red Hat view. I happen to disagree, but it does a good job of explaining some of the issues surrounding Red Hat's decision.
http://www.bero.org/gcc296.html
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followups to jmglov's post should be directed here. I would graft these last two posts onto that thread, but alas, phpBB has not this feature.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems logging into sourceforge with ssh. I don't know if this is the same problem, but I fixed it by forcing protocol 1 (RSH I think). You can create a ~/.ssh/Profile file and add the line "Protocol 1,2" I think.

Cheers
Brad
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradB wrote:
I fixed it by forcing protocol 1 (RSH I think). You can create a ~/.ssh/Profile file and add the line "Protocol 1,2" I think.

Thanks for the tip. There still may be servers that are only running SSH protocal 1 where this is necessary. A couple of points of clarification: RSH is the unencrypted predecessor of SSH, it's a completely different animal. Use of SSH protocal 1 has been deprecated because it has some security vulnerabilities related to design flaws in the protocol itself. So, if you have control of the server environment, and you're in a situation like BradB describes, try to upgrade your server to something that speaks protocol 2.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradB wrote:
You can create a ~/.ssh/Profile file and add the line "Protocol 1,2" I think.

As rac said, you want to avoid using protocol 1 whenever you can. However, in the event that you *must* use 1 for some reason, make sure the line is entered as follows:

Code:
Protocol 2,1

That tells ssh to try protocol 2 first, and to fall back on 1 only if that fails. The other way, ssh always tries protocol 1 first, which is a Bad Thing. :)

--kurt
dingo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the exact same problem a few minutes ago on a remote machine, only root could ssh in. I found the problem to be with the 'adduser' program gentoo uses to add users, it doesn't give them a shell in /etc/passwd (since i've never even physically touched this machine i've never tried from the terminal). After much frustration I fixed it by adding /bin/bash to the end of the line in the user's line in /etc/passwd. Hope that works.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dingo wrote:
I found the problem to be with the 'adduser' program gentoo uses to add users, it doesn't give them a shell in /etc/passwd (since i've never even physically touched this machine i've never tried from the terminal).

I've seen several people with this problem, and I still don't fully understand why it happens to them. In any case, when you make the user you can specify a shell with the -s argument to adduser, and you can use "adduser -D -s" to set the default shell for all future users.
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Exactly the same problem Reply with quote

I have found that it is actually a pam configuration issue, no.. gentoo has it fine, its just that pam expects the user to have a shell.

You have to set the users shell, you can do this when you add a new user by

adduser -m -s /bin/bash username

(if you have bash installed)

or to a running user with

usermod -s /bin/bash username

On the upside, if you do not give a user a shell, they can not log in remotely with ssh, yet still log in with ftp and other daemons.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: