New User Needs Assistance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holymacaroni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: New User Needs Assistance Reply with quote

hi, i just installed gentoo and everything seems to be working great. i read through the emerge intro doc, but i have a quick question. i just started my installation of xfree-4.3.0-r3, but i forgot to uncomment the USE="gnome" flag in my /etc/make.conf file. so if i wait until xfree is done compiling and uncomment the USE flag in my make.conf file, could i use the upgrade feature of emerge to reinstall X using the new USE flags? i really don't want to have to unmerge X and its dependencies and have to start all over. thanks!
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New User Needs Assistance Reply with quote

holymacaroni wrote:
hi, i just installed gentoo and everything seems to be working great. i read through the emerge intro doc, but i have a quick question. i just started my installation of xfree-4.3.0-r3, but i forgot to uncomment the USE="gnome" flag in my /etc/make.conf file. so if i wait until xfree is done compiling and uncomment the USE flag in my make.conf file, could i use the upgrade feature of emerge to reinstall X using the new USE flags? i really don't want to have to unmerge X and its dependencies and have to start all over. thanks!

xfree doesn't have a USE="gnome" option...
Code:
$ emerge -vp xfree

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R  ] x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r3  -3dfx -sse +mmx +3dnow +xml2 +truetype -nls -cjk -doc -ipv6
holymacaroni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, thanks. still learning the in's and out's.
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find out what USE flags were enabled with:

Code:
etcat -u 'x11-base/xfree'

etcat is in the gentoolkit package.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can change the USE flags whenever you want to without any consequences (that i'd know of)

maybe it'd be a great time to quickly explain what the USE flags actually do ...i think that's best done on an example.

USE="gnome gtk -kde -qt" (i have it the other way around ;)) makes the same result with emerge, as would have make --with-gnome --with-gtk --without-kde --without-qt

for example this USE flags would with let's say emerging mplayer disable the qt and kde compatibility of the app if it exists (unless the app ebuild forces it, so it's safe) and enable gtk and gnome compatibility if it exists

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
holymacaroni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i understand how the USE flags apply in regard to the /etc/make.conf file.

what i'm curious about is what the significance of the flags listed are when i do a -vp (i know p is just the pretend option). using the example above:

$ emerge -vp xfree

[ebuild R ] x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r3 -3dfx -sse +mmx +3dnow +xml2 +truetype -nls -cjk -doc -ipv6

what is the difference between the flags with - and the ones with + in front of them in regard to retrieving them using the -vp option from the ebuilds?
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holymacaroni wrote:
$ emerge -vp xfree

[ebuild R ] x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r3 -3dfx -sse +mmx +3dnow +xml2 +truetype -nls -cjk -doc -ipv6

what is the difference between the flags with - and the ones with + in front of them in regard to retrieving them using the -vp option from the ebuilds?

Al the flags that appear affect the package, the ones with a '-' are disabled, the ones with a '+' enabled. In the example you won't ave support e.g. for ipv6 but you will have support for truetype.

Also note that USE flags not only influence the compilation of a package but might add/remove packages otherwise not needed/needed as dependency.
zbert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:

Al the flags that appear affect the package, the ones with a '-' are disabled, the ones with a '+' enabled. In the example you won't ave support e.g. for ipv6 but you will have support for truetype.

Also note that USE flags not only influence the compilation of a package but might add/remove packages otherwise not needed/needed as dependency.

After performing an emerge -pv packagename, do the USE flags shown affect the compiling of the program automatically or do I have to manually set the recommended use flags in /etc/make.conf?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: