Audacity 1.3.2 fails to start giving error in pa_unix_oss.c
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babudro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Audacity 1.3.2 fails to start giving error in pa_unix_oss.c Reply with quote

Audacity 1.3.0b was working fine for me, but since I installed 1.3.2 it gives me this:

Quote:
me@mymachine ~ $ audacity
Expression 'ioctl( stream->capture->fd, SNDCTL_DSP_SETDUPLEX, 0 )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1115
Expression 'PaOssStream_Configure( stream, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inLatency, &outLatency )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1228
Expression 'paInvalidSampleRate' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1044
audacity: src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c:1122: PaOssStream_Configure: Assertion `component->hostChannelCount > 0' failed.
Aborted

revdep-rebuild says everything is fine, and I've tried re-building Audacity. When I look in the audacity.cfg file I see the "duplex" setting is zero. My keywords are "~amd64 amd64" and USE flags I've tried are:
Quote:
USE="flac libsamplerate mp3 unicode vorbis -ladspa"

as well as
Quote:
USE="flac mp3 unicode vorbis -ladspa"

I tried building with "-oss" (even though "oss" isn't listed in the USE flags) but that didn't make any difference. I also tried building with "debug" in the USE flags but it didn't give any more information. Sound works fine with Amarok, Audacious, etc. and I tried without any other sound apps running (which has not been a problem since version 1.3.0b anyway). I downgrade to 1.3.0b and everything works fine again.

Anyone got any ideas?

-----------------
Machine: Asus motherboard, AMD64 3700 CPU, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon X300 PCIe, kernel 2.6.18-suspend2, stage 1 build using gcc 4.1.1

Last edited by babudro on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its OK here, might be a 64-bit problem..?
babudro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cintra wrote:
Its OK here, might be a 64-bit problem..?

v1.3.2 does run on my 32-bit P4 machines, however, I also have another Athlon64 on which it also runs properly.

Last edited by babudro on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
babudro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: My problem with Audacity 1.3.2 has expanded to my P4 32-bit laptop, which had been running 1.3.2 as noted in my prior post. Something must have changed with an update, but I can't seem to spot it.

Similar to my Athlon64 machine, the P4 is now saying this:
Quote:
(audacity:18669): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
Expression 'ioctl( stream->capture->fd, SNDCTL_DSP_SETDUPLEX, 0 )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1115
Expression 'PaOssStream_Configure( stream, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inLatency, &outLatency )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1228
Expression 'paInvalidSampleRate' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1044
audacity: src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c:1122: PaOssStream_Configure: Assertion `component->hostChannelCount > 0' failed.
Aborted

I tried upgrading to the new 1.3.2-r1 release but that made no difference except that the audacity line number changed on the first line from 18669 to 23100. The pa_unix_oss.c line numbers remained the same.
babudro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding wxGTK is no help to pa_unix_oss.c problem Reply with quote

Well, although nobody's answering I see people are reading these posts so in case it's helpful to anyone I'll say that I tried rebuilding wxGTK and Audacity, but still have the same pa_unix_oss problem. This has been a tough one to find a solution for; I can't find anyone else talking about it, and that sure seems weird considering I had one machine that was running 1.3.2 properly and then developed this problem, and another that had it from the first time I compiled it.
babudro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Further pa_unix_oss.c problems develop Reply with quote

Pondering this problem today, I considered that the machines running Audacity 1.3.2 were stable "amd64" builds, while the other Athlon64 and P4 machines were unstable (~amd64 and ~x86) builds. So I went and checked to see if my two "amd64" machines still worked: One did, one did not.

The error message on the third machine to now develop the Audacity problem says:

Quote:
Aborted

Nothing about duplex, but still it references pa_unix_oss.c

Is weird, yes?
rasmussen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Further pa_unix_oss.c problems develop Reply with quote

babudro wrote:

Quote:
Aborted

I am having the exact same problem on my (32 bit) machine now.

Did you ever find a solution?
babudro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Further pa_unix_oss.c problems develop Reply with quote

rasmussen wrote:

I am having the exact same problem on my (32 bit) machine now.

Did you ever find a solution?

No, but it comes and goes. Some updates have caused it to work on various machines, and then recently my P4-based Thinkpad stopped working again with the same pa_unix_oss.c error. Weird. I tried updating the kernel (2.6.19 to 2.6.21) but no change there (I didn't expect any).

I posted a query on the Audacity mailing list and an "audacityteam.org" person wrote back saying the only thing he could think of was that I might not have OSS emulation enabled in the ALSA portion of the kernel, but I didn't miss something as obvious as that.

So I'm still stumped. I've taken to using Rezound when Audacity is being flakey. That has been a valuable learning experience because I've discovered that Rezound has much better-sounding processors (like "adaptive normalise") whereas Audacity is faster at manipulating mono/stereo tracks... but that's another topic.
rasmussen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Further pa_unix_oss.c problems develop Reply with quote

babudro wrote:
No, but it comes and goes.

I just upgraded to the 1.3.3 release of Audacity -- that seems to have solved it *knock-on-wood*.
babudro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Further pa_unix_oss.c problems develop Reply with quote

rasmussen wrote:
babudro wrote:
No, but it comes and goes.

I just upgraded to the 1.3.3 release of Audacity -- that seems to have solved it *knock-on-wood*.

It was when I upgraded to 1.3.3 that Audacity stopped working on my laptop again. I update my machines quite often, a couple of times a week usually, so it appears as if there is some item on which Audacity is dependant that goes in and out of sync with the most current Audacity release. Since you got it working, maybe my next update will fix me up, too.
brent_weaver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all... I am assuming that 1.3.3 is masked unstable. I am a knucklehead with portage, what do I need to do to unmask that package?
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
echo 'media-sound/audacity' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
OmSai
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babudro wrote:
me@mymachine ~ $ audacity
I had an error with the same C-file in audacity-1.3.2-r1 (the stable, unmasked version) on AMD64.
Code:
$ audacity
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, outputDeviceInfo, StreamMode_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1206

I've temporarily solved it by applying aoss:
Code:
$ aoss audacity &

I admit this is the half-ass way to make it work.
The real solution is to enable oss support in the appropriate library
Does anyone know which one it is???

But it did my small job for me.
I needed to extract an mp3 clip and save it.
Using aoss let me playback the mp3 file in audacity but
But it doesn't save my clip as a working MP3 file (i.e. it writes the mp3 file as it should but audacious / mplayer can't play it back cos it was saved wrong).
Yes, I selected /usr/lib64/libmp3lame.so
And yes, I've tested that lame works.
So I just saved my clip as a wav and manually converted it to mp3 (at 48kHz for my case)
Code:
lame -h --abr 48 excerpt.wav excerpt.mp3
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do other OSS programs work? Have you done the OSS emulation steps in the ALSA guide? Have you enabled the oss USE flag globally?
OmSai
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01mf02 wrote:
Have you enabled the oss USE flag globally?
That was it. I added it to /etc/make.conf and then emerged the necessary libraries
Code:
emerge -Npv world | grep oss

Thanks 01mf02!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: