Problem with emerging nvidia-kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Problem with emerging nvidia-kernel Reply with quote

Hi,

i have problems with emerging the nvidia-kernel.

I was using a 2.5.70 because of some problems i went back to a 2.4.21_rc8-gss kernel (this kernel because of the good support of nforce 2 mainboards).

Also i am using the GCC 3.3. But i do not think, that that is the problem, because i have already compiled the nvidia-kernel with that compiler.

OK here is what i get, when i try to emerge nvidia-kernel (that last not masked version, the unstable version brings up the same error):

root@local danielw # emerge nvidia-kernel
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4349-r2 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4349.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4349.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4349-r2/work
* Linux kernel 2.4.21
>>> Source unpacked.
rm -f nv.o os-agp.o os-interface.o os-registry.o nv-linux.o nv_compiler.h *.d NVdriver nvidia.o
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `Gentoo'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `if [ -z yes ]; then if [ (Gentoo != (Gentoo ]; then echo " "; echo "You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with "; echo "a compiler different from the one that was used to compile "; echo "the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there "; echo "are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and "; echo "system crashes. "; echo " "; echo "If you know what you are doing and want to override this "; echo "check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH. "; echo " "; echo "In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the "; echo "name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel. "; echo " "; echo -en "\033[1;31m"; echo -e "*** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***"; echo -en "\033[0m"; exit 1; fi fi'
make: *** [gcc-check] Fehler 2

!!! ERROR: media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4349-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 87, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

An emerge sync does not solve this problem.

I hope someone can help me,

DanielW
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't using the latest version. Problably you're using an outdated resync mirror. Emerge sync and then emerge the latest version:
Code:
emerge /usr/portage/media-video/nvidia-kernel/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4363-r2.ebuild

------------------------------------------------
Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
hype
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `if [ -z yes ]; then if [ (Gentoo != (Gentoo ]; then echo " "; echo "You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with "; echo "a compiler different from the one that was used to compile "; echo "the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there "; echo "are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and "; echo "system crashes. "; echo " "; echo "If you know what you are doing and want to override this "; echo "check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH. "; echo " "; echo "In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the "; echo "name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel. "; echo " "; echo -en "\033[1;31m"; echo -e "*** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***"; echo -en "\033[0m";

Doesn't it quite clearly say what the problem is. You are running a kernel that is not compiled with gcc 3.3 but now you are trying to compile nvidia-kernel with gcc 3.3.
DanielW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry people, you both are wrong :-(

To:

first of all the 1.0.4349-r2 is the lastest stable relase and i am using an actuell rsync mirror and i have tried very often to emerge sync the last days to solve this problem.

second of all the never unstable ebuild wich you had mentioned has the same problem also. The problem also is there when i pick up the kernel modul from nvidia.com.

Thanks for your try to help me.

hype:

No the message seems to say that.

But, i have used GCC 3.3 for both. the kernel and the nvidia-kernel. There is no other gcc on my system and i have compiled a lot of kernels the last days.

And if you lock exactly at the error message you see, that the error message is not that i am using a differnt gcc version to compile the nvidia-kernel as for the kernel.

The error message is /bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `Gentoo' and the rest of the message is a quote of this line 1. And in this line there are echo comands which are able to output such an error as you have mentioned.

So also thanks to you for your try, but still no solution. :-(
hype
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I also checked the ebuild which does make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH="yes" so that couldn't even be the problem when using the ebuild.
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielW wrote:
sorry people, you both are wrong :-(
To:

first of all the 1.0.4349-r2 is the lastest stable relase and i am using an actuell rsync mirror and i have tried very often to emerge sync the last days to solve this problem.

second of all the never unstable ebuild wich you had mentioned has the same problem also. The problem also is there when i pick up the kernel modul from nvidia.com.

Thanks for your try to help me.

Code:
*  media-video/nvidia-kernel
      Latest version available: 1.0.4363-r2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 645 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.nvidia.com/
      Description: Linux kernel module for the NVIDIA's X driver

That's from portage and from nvidia's hp:
Code:
Linux Graphics Driver Download

Version: 1.0-4363
Operating System: Linux IA32
Release Date: April 24, 2003

1.0.4363-r2 > 1.0.4349-r2

so 1.0.4363-r2 it's the latest release

I have the module on my computer running gcc 3.2.3 znd glibc 2.3.2. Only after hype's post I noticed the gcc 3.3, I honestly never tested with it sorry :?

hype
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, To but as he said the "unstable" version 1.0.4363-r2 gives the same error so it is not a solution - (I checked it is indeed ~x86 masked).
flurix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing relevant files from /usr/portage/distfiles.
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hype wrote:
Yes, To but as he said the "unstable" version 1.0.4363-r2 gives the same error so it is not a solution - (I checked it is indeed ~x86 masked).

You're right about that:) I've also gave my gcc and glibc version, it can be the cause.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: