SATA drives slow
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schizoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: SATA drives slow Reply with quote

I am using the ATA_PIIX kernel driver for my SATA controller. There are two new, identical 500gb SATA hard disk and a single SATA dvd-rw drive in the system.

This computer is less than two months old and it never seems to perform well when it comes to file operations. For example. I had a backup of my /usr/portage directory which today I finally got around to removing with an rm -r /usr/portage.old command. This is less than 250mb, and it took well over 10 minutes to complete the operation. I washed out my tea pot, boiled some water, and steeped a fresh cup of tea and it still had not finished. I realize there are a zillion small files in there, but come on!

I have been using dd to copy some dvds to one of the partitions, using a simple dd if=/dev/dvd of=image.iso command. dd is kind enough to let me know that this operation is performing at around 11mb/sec. That is around 8x for a dvd drive. Should it not be a lot faster than this? (Using an ext3 partition instead of XFS gets me 12.5mb/sec)

The computer is always very responsive, but waiting over ten minutes to delete 250mb is a joke. There has to be something off here, right?! I thought it might be XFS so I put ext3 on a partition and as you can see above things are not really much better.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to consider putting those two drives in a RAID array for performance increases, you might also want to switch to a different iosched and or play with
Code:
blockdev --setra VALUE /dev/DRIVE
Schizoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I just want to point out that the 12.5mb/sec number was an XFS partition, and the 11mb/sec is for the ext3. I had them mixed up.

I set blockdev --setra 16384 on both disks and the dvdr (all were at 256 previously) and when using the same dd command that gets me 14.7mb/sec on the ext3 (from 11mb/sec). For the XFS partition I get 15.4mb/sec.

Copying the file from the XFS partition to the ext3 (on separate physical disks) I get a rate of about 25.2mb/sec (4465mb in 177 seconds).

These don't seem like the best numbers to me. Do you think the file systems are a factor here? I don't know what else to try to adjust when it comes to SATA.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I am using the default cfq scheduler. This system has a quad-core cpu and 2gb of ram. I have never setup a raid array and I don't really want to fiddle with that if I don't have to. If the drives don't seem to be performing well without being in an array the array will just help to mask their poor performance, eh?
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizoid wrote:
First off I just want to point out that the 12.5mb/sec number was an XFS partition, and the 11mb/sec is for the ext3. I had them mixed up.

I set blockdev --setra 16384 on both disks and the dvdr (all were at 256 previously) and when using the same dd command that gets me 14.7mb/sec on the ext3 (from 11mb/sec). For the XFS partition I get 15.4mb/sec.

Copying the file from the XFS partition to the ext3 (on separate physical disks) I get a rate of about 25.2mb/sec (4465mb in 177 seconds).

These don't seem like the best numbers to me. Do you think the file systems are a factor here? I don't know what else to try to adjust when it comes to SATA.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I am using the default cfq scheduler. This system has a quad-core cpu and 2gb of ram. I have never setup a raid array and I don't really want to fiddle with that if I don't have to. If the drives don't seem to be performing well without being in an array the array will just help to mask their poor performance, eh?

try with the deadline scheduler. the average transfer rate should be about 40MB/s and up. 12MB/s just seems slow to me. you might also want to test from a livecd to rule out the kernel.
Schizoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give that a shot next time I rebuild the kernel.

Am I crazy or isn't there a way to change scheduler without rebooting?
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizoid wrote:
I will give that a shot next time I rebuild the kernel.

Code:
$ cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]
$ echo deadline > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

;)
niceness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizoid wrote:

Code:
# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
noop [anticipatory] deadline cfq

# echo deadline > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
noop anticipatory [deadline] cfq

EDIT:
@gimpel
2 minutes faster...
mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: SATA drives slow Reply with quote

Schizoid wrote:
I am using the ATA_PIIX kernel driver for my SATA controller.

If your mainboard has ICH9/ICH9R chipset you should choose AHCI mode in BIOS for Linux installation. I'm getting close to 76 MB/s physical transfer speed between two identical WD 500 GB drives.
Schizoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SATA drives slow Reply with quote

mbar wrote:
Schizoid wrote:
I am using the ATA_PIIX kernel driver for my SATA controller.

If your mainboard has ICH9/ICH9R chipset you should choose AHCI mode in BIOS for Linux installation. I'm getting close to 76 MB/s physical transfer speed between two identical WD 500 GB drives.

Yes, it is an Asus P5K board. I have seen people suggest AHCI mode before but there is nothing in the bios to adjust. The only SATA setting in there is an option to choose between "Normal" mode and a "compatibility" mode. It does not make clear what these do. I have tried both and they don't seem to make any difference.

Is there a way to see if AHCI mode is on or working?

With the deadline scheduler I get 15.3mb/sec doing a dd from the dvdrom to an ext3 partition, and 15.4mb/sec going to an XFS partition. Copying the file from one partition to the other is the same 25mb/sec rate.
Schizoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another example, unpacking source files always takes a very long time. I feel like the computer can compile things faster than it can unpack the source code sometimes.
Code:

patrick@Gohan ~ $ time tar jxf firefox-3.0b1-source.tar.bz2

real    3m5.543s
user    0m12.254s
sys     0m2.369s
patrick@Gohan ~ $ ls -oa firefox-3.0b1-source.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 patrick 34385058 2007-11-22 03:20 firefox-3.0b1-source.tar.bz2
patrick@Gohan ~ $

Granted, there are lots of tiny files in source code, but my old clunker with an ata4 ide drive was faster than this.
Lifthanger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on my amd64 gentoo. My root is XFS and esspecially untaring sources and deleting them again takes a very long time. Monitoring the process with dstat showed write speeds of under 10MB/s while hdparm -t gives around 95 MB/s.

Maybe we can find a solution together.
Schizoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, here is the same operation on an ext3 partition in the same system.
Code:

patrick@Gohan /mnt/Local $ time tar jxf firefox-3.0b1-source.tar.bz2

real    0m24.867s
user    0m10.606s
sys     0m1.884s

A bit of an improvement, eh?
Lifthanger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm seems like an xfs issue..
I'll install another hdd to make some test partitions today. I'll post the results.
Lifthanger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the results: untaring the 55MB netbeans sources and rm -rf of the sources afterwards. Kernel is 2.6.23 AMD64 - io-scheduler doesn't make a difference.
The HDD yields 75MB/s in hdparm.

reiserfs3:

real 0m31.201s
user 0m26.055s
sys 0m3.274s

real 0m2.791s
user 0m0.052s
sys 0m2.548s

ext2:

real 0m30.638s
user 0m25.794s
sys 0m2.300s

real 0m0.866s
user 0m0.032s
sys 0m0.416s

xfs:

real 3m37.179s
user 0m26.066s
sys 0m4.524s

real 2m27.426s
user 0m0.052s
sys 0m2.080s

This last test is on a software raid 5 array with 32bit kernel. hdparm nets around 140MB/s but on heavy access it gets cpu restricted, or at least that was my impression.

xfs:

real 1m47.089s
user 0m48.151s
sys 0m7.888s

real 0m21.938s
user 0m0.184s
sys 0m4.876s

Seems to me as if xfs and AMD64 don't like each other very much... I'm open to other conclusions though.
nbkolchin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this guide for XFS tuning: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1479435
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: