Comparing Xubuntu and Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nestal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Comparing Xubuntu and Gentoo Reply with quote

Recently I installed Xubuntu in my old laptop (which is a Samsung Q25) with Xubuntu. I just wanted to try out this Ubuntu that everybody is talking about. I used to run Xfce with Gentoo just fine on this old laptop, so I expect it should be fine with Xubuntu.

It turns out that I was wrong. It is a Pentium-M 1.4GHz with 256MB of RAM. I need to run 3 instances of firefox in different profiles on it. It took about 5 seconds to switch windows (the Alt-Tab thing)! I have to wait for the windows to redraw slowly.

After a week I can't stand it. I reinstall Gentoo on it. I tried to make everything minimal, i.e. -gnome -kde, you know :wink: , which is only possible in Gentoo. And now it runs as fast as a rocket! No more delay in redrawing windows. I can even switch desktop instantly!

I guess Xubuntu still starts gnome services in order to make their network manager applet to work. Those stuff eat out a lot of system RAM make my laptop do a lot of paging.

Any other clue?
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats what you getting running with the ubuntu crowd ;)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Xubuntu and Gentoo Reply with quote

nestal wrote:
.After a week I can't stand it. I reinstall Gentoo on it. I tried to make everything minimal, i.e. -gnome -kde, you know :wink: , which is only possible in Gentoo. And now it runs as fast as a rocket! No more delay in redrawing windows. I can even switch desktop instantly!

With a minimal OS well configured, you can make miracles :)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put Xubuntu on a laptop way older than that one, and I ran into a more amusing issue: it took almost 4 minutes to go from logging in to being functional. ;) Gentoo with Xfce, though, fairly usable on an old P2 233.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing Xubuntu and Gentoo Reply with quote

nestal wrote:
I need to run 3 instances of firefox in different profiles on it.

What do you expect... I run Kubuntu on my old P3/600MHz laptop with 192MB ram. It isn't blazing fast, but it works well. Of course, turn off all services that you don't need.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gentoo, you start with almost 0 services, but for the others distro, there a lot of services that a person doesn't need 50% of the time, so theses things can slow down a computer.

Last edited by d2_racing on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Xubuntu and Gentoo Reply with quote

nestal wrote:

I guess Xubuntu still starts gnome services in order to make their network manager applet to work. Those stuff eat out a lot of system RAM make my laptop do a lot of paging.

Any other clue?

uuur, I would of at least expected them to use wicd (networkmanager-like with gnome stuff stripped, I use it on my archlinux-based laptop)
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a more or less slim version of Ubunut, just install the commandline system, and then use apt-get to install X and xfce, it should be as fast as Gentoo then, almost no services are running.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or... just use Arch (if gentoo isn't an option)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Arch can be fun, because it has the same philosophy for services.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch is a decent alternative because the bulk of their repository is binary-based instead of source-based, which can be a blessing on a slower machine.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
Arch is a decent alternative because the bulk of their repository is binary-based instead of source-based, which can be a blessing on a slower machine.

yup thats why I use it on my eeePC and my slow CPU server (gentoo for fun on main desktop)
Sure I could use my main desktop as the main workhorse to build the other two and maintain it that way but... horses for courses
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:

In fact, I like Arch a lot on my old coucou, because compiling Gentoo on that box was just crazy.
nestal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my surprise it didn't take long to install a such a minimal Gentoo system. It took only a few hours. I guess Xubuntu was so slow because the 3 firefoxes took all the memory.

Seems like compiling things doesn't use a lot of memory (except when you compile C++ source e.g. KDE), so installing Gentoo to my old laptop isn't that slow. In addition I didn't install large amount of apps cuts the compile time even more.
pathfinder
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you mind posting your
/etc/make.conf

keywords, mask and use files?

cause i have a similar laptop, and the disk just got burnt. So I have to buy another, and I should try to recover the old system, or I should install a new one. But you know, once you have everything fine on it, it s a little annoying having to do everything again. Added I m not sure it will really be fast...

A question. If I copy all the FS in a new disk, and copy t back to the laptop, will get rid of the defragmentation problem?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
kalos wrote:

In fact, I like Arch a lot on my old coucou, because compiling Gentoo on that box was just crazy.

I hear you. On this old laptop, it took almost 25 minutes to compile vixie-cron. ;)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a binhost!
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
use a binhost!

I know binhost was an option, but the reality is that I would never use the laptop anyway, so away to the closet dungeon it went.
Urban Cowboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, exactly, does xubuntu have that gentoo doesn't? An easier means of installation?

.. part of me thinks I am about to be sorry I asked.
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
or... just use Arch (if gentoo isn't an option)

Arch lacks the quantity of packages, and, more disputed, also quality.

Urban Cowboy wrote:
What, exactly, does xubuntu have that gentoo doesn't? An easier means of installation?

Faster install times (of anything not just the system), and real package-management.

It's drawbacks are that more disk space is used, because you can't trim the installed packages, with todays harddisks this is mostly no problem though.
I am a purist, that's why I like Gentoo better, I also don't like it when packages get installed, I don't know what they are doing, that's why I like Gentoo better, but, from a more pragmatic point of view, using *buntu is way more comfortable, and has a very productive environment, which is certainly superior to Gentoo.
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
I put Xubuntu on a laptop way older than that one, and I ran into a more amusing issue: it took almost 4 minutes to go from logging in to being functional. ;) Gentoo with Xfce, though, fairly usable on an old P2 233.

Similar scenario, but with kubuntu... Halfway through the login delay I started looking for a gentoo boot disc and returned before it completed. At that point I had seen enough. Back to gentoo with fluxbox i went.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: