success on ibook2 but latest ppc ISO maybe bad
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gogor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: success on ibook2 but latest ppc ISO maybe bad Reply with quote

hi,

just to say that i made a (almost) successfull install of gentoo on my new ibook.
As i and others reported in this forum i ran into the ext3/kernel bug during bootstraping with the latest iso (kernel -r3) so i had to use an older iso (kernel-r2). I do really think that the latest ISO has a bug and should be replaced by one with kernel -r2 or later but NOT kernel-r3.
after that all went almost fine, the pb was that this ISO didn't have the modules for my ethernet (sungem) so i had to download all base-packages in macosx on an hfs partition and then mount this on distfile (actually i had problems with filenames too long for hfs partitions wich you can solve by this
=> download on hfs+ with osx
=> tar
=> cp archive on hfs
=> boot gentoo cd mount hfs partition untar package to distfiles)
now i've got a minimal system (no xfree) but i havent't been able to connect with rp-pppoe yet, after talking with the modem (flashing leds) it gave a timeout, i'll continue trying.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a new ISO in the very very near future. AFAIK there is a sungen module n the ISO (my machine also uses sungem and I was able to get it working).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: