Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
oops... need help big time. glibc downgrade error.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karkle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: oops... need help big time. glibc downgrade error. Reply with quote

ok... I just did something really really dumb.

I was running gcc 3.2.2 and glibc 2.3.x and I wanted to the glibc-2.2.x libraries because I have a binary that required the older version. So for some stupid reason I did the following:

Code:
 emerge sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.2.x.ebuild

I'd give you exact versions of everything but ls no longer works so I don't have them. As you can guess... just about every binary on my system is now broke. bash, env being two key ones that don't work and thus I can't emerge anything. So that's my dilemma.

SO my question is... is there a way to use a boot disk, chroot and compile just the glibc library or maybe just log on and change the symbolic links to point to the right glibc libraries.

Any thoughts.... once I reboot I'm not going to be able to come back...
ThreeFarthingStone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: oops... need help big time. glibc downgrade error. Reply with quote

karkle wrote:
I was running gcc 3.2.2 and glibc 2.3.x and I wanted to the glibc-2.2.x libraries because I have a binary that required the older version. So for some stupid reason I did the following:

Code:
 emerge sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.2.x.ebuild

That is usually not necessary. Most binaries that need 2.2 will usually work fine with 2.3.
karkle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: All Fixed Reply with quote

yeh... I figured out that it was not necessary to make that change, unfortunately too late.

Here's how I solved the problem:

1. boot using Live CD
2. mount my / directory using: /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
3. cd to the mounted /lib and change all symbolic links that point to 2.2.5 libraries to point to the proper 2.3.1 libraries

For example:
rm ld-linux.so.2
ln -s ld-2.3.1.so ld-linux.so.2

I did that for all libraries and now everything appears to work.
whew...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: