Compiz fusion - scrolling in firefox - window resizing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Compiz fusion - scrolling in firefox - window resizing Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to the xgl/aiglx and compiz world. I installed compiz-fusion and I'm pretty happy with it except for 3 different things:

-Scrolling in Firefox is slow and laggy
-resizing windows is slow and laggy
-switching to full screen in mplayer with F does not work (video goes full screen and directly goes back to the original size). This one is not that important since when I go to full screen using the menu it works.

So any ideas how to solve these problems? I have a ati video card and using the open source drivers (radeon) with aiglx. I'm using xorg-server 1.3 (update to 1.4 gave me problems with my mouse: a single click behaves as a double click!?).

Looking around on the forums I saw that other people had the same problem with Firefox. But unfortunately I didn't find any solution...

Thanks for your help.
EnderWiggin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewB,

I assume that you are using the fglrx (ATI binary) driver as these symptoms are widespread with the latest driver. Is that correct?
NewB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no i'm using the open source driver, no fglrx. My card is not supported anymore by the fglrx drivers (it's a radeon 9000 Mobility FireGL).
EnderWiggin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have a card compatible with the opensource card so I have little experience with it.

The forums on phoronix.com are also very helpful with ATI driver issues (binary, opensource, etc.) so you might want to cross-post there. If you get an answer, be sure to submit it back to this thread as well. =)
charlie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For help with scrolling performance:

Using the kmenu/Settings/CompizConfig Settings Manager click General Options then Display Settings tab then move the Refresh Rate Slider to 200 then uncheck the Sync to VBlank box.

If you don't use KDE then type ccsm at a console which would bring up the CompizConfig Settings Manager.

Also you may wish to use the buggy Compiz Fusion from the git archive (http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Installation).

You may also wish to disable smooth scrolling in Firefox.

Compiz Fusion needs to be optimized still. It's still not has fast as it should be.
NewB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For help with scrolling performance:

Using the kmenu/Settings/CompizConfig Settings Manager click General Options then Display Settings tab then move the Refresh Rate Slider to 200 then uncheck the Sync to VBlank box.

If you don't use KDE then type ccsm at a console which would bring up the CompizConfig Settings Manager.

Also you may wish to use the buggy Compiz Fusion from the git archive (http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Installation).

You may also wish to disable smooth scrolling in Firefox.

Compiz Fusion needs to be optimized still. It's still not has fast as it should be.

This helped for the scrolling (still not perfectly smooth, but much better than before).

I'll try to install the git version of compiz fusion.

Could an update of xorg (from xorg-server 1.3 to 1.4) help? Or has it nothing to do with it!? What about radeon drivers, could it help to install the svn version of it?
charlie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the Radeon driver starting compiz with --indirect-rendering or --loose-binding may help. To check out your frames per second with those options enable the Benchmark plugin in ccsm and bind a key whereby to start it.
imanel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing - it's not fault of version of Xorg that it uses single-click as double-click - it's desktop manager's option(see mouse options) and can be simply disabled...

Second thing - some time ago I have the some problem, but using beryl and compiz separately(both had the some problem) Then I just set to "show only border" as resize graphic. In Firefox(or some other aplications) you should disable "smooth scrolling" as someone alredy said - thats because compiz/beryl try to render frame-by-frame including special effects, and there's a lot of frames;)

About mplayer - I never had that problem... This might be connected with ATI drivers...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: