Memory key drives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fgarbrecht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Memory key drives Reply with quote

Having read through the faq and various postings on getting a USB memory key drive working under Gentoo, I have been unsuccessful in getting mine to work. I've got an IBM memory key, and although Gentoo recognizes it's presence in the USB port, dmesg returns error messages that the device is not responding. Rather than beat this dead horse, I was wondering whether those who have gotten their USB memory drives to work under Gentoo could respond to let me know what types of drives they have successfully installed so that I can buy one that I know is likely to work.

Thanks, Fred
wrynn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone gave me small 32MB HP USB drive. It seems to work fine. shows up as /dev/sda.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
moritz_aut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my iomega usb stick works without any problems
gholam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: working usb memory stick Reply with quote

I actually just got mine working today for the first time (haven't played with it before). I have a 64Mb Fujifilm.

You need Generic SCSI Support enabled in the kernel with SCSI disk support. Also you need the USB Mass Storage Support enabled (and make sure they're all loaded if modular). Plug in your flash drive and look at your dmesg. It should say "/dev/sda" or somesuch after spewing info about the stick and scsi stuff.

Best of luck -- it shouldn't be too hard.

Oh, and remember to unmount it before unplugging! :D
fgarbrecht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I got my hands on a newer IBM USB memory key - 256 mb - and it was recognized immediately and I was able to mount it OK. The older 128 meg IBM memory key is not initialized properly for some reason; lots of dmesg gobbledygook like 'uhci_result_control() failed, and e3 SPD Stalled Babble Length' !! So I'll use the newer device and be happy 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: