Emerge enanchement.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Emerge enanchement. Reply with quote

Well, I want an option in "USE" for "emerge" that will have my programs updated only if a major version number of that programs has been relased :)

Code:
USE="only-major-version"

Code:
emerge gentoo-sources

for example, if I have a 2.4.20, will update my kernel only if 2.5.x has been relased.

Is it cool or not? :)
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the idea doesn't sound that bad-but I believe in practice it would difficult-and counterproductive.

the majority of minor releases(changes in the minor number version) are bug-fixes, security patches and the like, which are generally desirable-as they tend to function better as the minor number increases. Of course there are plenty of exceptions. Major number version changes frequently reflect changes in the API- which affect all packages dependent on them. These API changes are actually what cause most of the initial bugs in new package release on Gentoo-because the changes are not alway apparent, and what ramifications they have on other dependent packages is not yet clear.

My personal position would be to plead for a USE flag which only allows for minor upgrades and not major upgrades which might make the system unstable.....
paolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:

My personal position would be to plead for a USE flag which only allows for minor upgrades and not major upgrades which might make the system unstable.....

That was my idea 'cause I'm really conservative :)
(A have some machines (!Gentoo) working with kernel 2.0)

ByEZz,
Paolo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: