C compiler cannot create executables
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: C compiler cannot create executables Reply with quote

I know that questions similar to this have been posted but I'm wondering if there might be a better solution than reinstalling. Here's what happened.

First I ran a stable system with #accept_keywords="~x86". Then after an update something broke and in an act of desperation switched to accept_keywords="~x86" and upgraded some packages. I never did an emerge -u world so I figured that pretty soon the stable packages would catch up to me and I would switch back to #accept_keywords="~x86". That never seemed to happen and I ended up with more and more unstable packages just to stay ahead of the security fixes. Then I started to have troubles with some updates. More of the unstable ebuilds were failing to compile. Since the system in question is rather important to me I figured I should return to a more stable position of #accept_keywords="~x86".

I think you can guess the rest.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get out of this without starting over? Some programs work fine and some do not so I think I have one version of libC and GCC compiled for something else. It seems as though the programs that work were compiled a while ago and the ones that don't were recent unstable compiles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. After searching the forums database I have found that people with slightly similar problems fixed this by copying the /usr dirctory from the stage 3 CD while others simply started over. I would like to find a better solution if possible but I suppose a reinstall isn't so bad. At least it's Gentoo. ;-)

Cheers,

Scott
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: C compiler cannot create executables Reply with quote

cornice wrote:

Some programs work fine and some do not so I think I have one version of libC and GCC compiled for something else. It seems as though the programs that work were compiled a while ago and the ones that don't were recent unstable compiles.

I think that is a good start. What version of gcc and glibc are you using?
cornice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC = 3.2.2
GLibC = 2.3.1-r4

I get a lot of messages like this:

libpthread.so.0: version 'GLIBC_2.3.2' not found

I'm wondering if there is a way to copy the necessary files to get GCC working (either manually or with a binary ebuild) and then do an emerge -e world. I just don't know exactly where to start when copying files. I have a stage 3 tarball and another gentoo system running 3.2.2-r2 and 2.3.2-r1 to copy from though.

I guess I can do a make install on the other box and watch what goes where and then copy by hand from the stage 3 tarball. Then again I'm not sure what might break in the middle of that process if anything. I suppose booting from CD would be wise. :wink:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any easy way to fix your problem. I see a lot of these messages, where people blindly update world and screw up their gcc/glibc. Maybe portage should PRINT A BIG WARNING on gcc/glibc upgrades, or not let people do it with emerge world.

Anyways, I think you're stuck at re-emerging everything you emerged during your ~x86 period, i.e. anything that gives this type of message:
Quote:

libpthread.so.0: version 'GLIBC_2.3.2' not found
cornice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe portage should PRINT A BIG WARNING on gcc/glibc upgrades, or not let people do it with emerge world.

What would that warning say? Is there a good rule of thumb for keeping glibc and gcc in sync? I have done emerge -ud world for a while now. I do use -p first to see what's going to be done but the process of simply keeping up to date seems pretty smooth. My issue I think stems from the fact that I went backwards (unstable -> stable) and I don't think the dependancies were correct for doing that. Live and learn I guess...

Quote:
Anyways, I think you're stuck at re-emerging everything you emerged during your ~x86 period, i.e. anything that gives this type of message.

Unfortunately it's getting to the point where I can emerge anything that I'm having trouble with. I was all set to go to bed after issueing an update world when I found that gcc and glibc were out of sync. GCC happens to be one of the programs that depends on the newer glibc. If I could somehow simply emerge a working GCC I would be all set but I don't see an easy way to do that.

Thanks for the help.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip for future experiments like this: put buildpkg in your FEATURES varaible in make.conf or use the -b option for emerge. That way you generate binary packages of all installed programs, they can really help in such situations.

Last edited by Genone on Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
cornice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A tip for future experiments like this: put buildpkg in your FEATURES varaible in make.conf or use the --b option for emerge. That way you generate binary packages of all installed programs, they can really help in such situations.

Great tip. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: