Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
My Gentoo turned out to be a killer-penguin!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralphj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: My Gentoo turned out to be a killer-penguin! Reply with quote

When last week, for the nth time, Debian unstable upgraded to a broken freetype-version, I thought: enough of this, I want an other distro. Since I have a fairly old PC, an IBM Aptiva with an AMD K6-2 380 MHz, I thought: let's push this thing to the max before I buy a new one. I decided to install Gentoo.

The installation was painless, though the first and second stages took about 10 hours. After that, I could boot into my new Gentoo-setup. I then decided to do an 'emerge gnome' which took a whopping 21+ hours to complete!

Still, I had no problems, it finished without any errors. Setting up X is always a pain, so I took a cd which had all my Debian config files on it, to see how I had X set up there exactly.

Then suddenly, out of nowhere, MC complained about not being able to read to the cd. I unmounted it, and tried to mount it again. Mount gave me the 'too many filesystems mounted or etc.'-error. I wanted the cd back, so I decided to reboot. Gentoo closed nicely and rebooted.

Then it just froze on the bios-screen. The off-button didn't work, the only thing I could do was a ctr-alt-del - I couldn't even get in the bios-setup. I thought it might have gotten a bit overheated, so I switched it off.

When I tried to boot it 12+ hours later the situation was exactly the same. I did notice that the bios-screen showed only 64MB of memory, while I have 192MB. I removed the 128MB block and put it in the slot where I had the 64MB. Booting the PC now shows 128MB at the bios-screen - so apparently at least one memoryslot is broken.

So what's up with all this? Is it my motherboard? Does any of this sound familiar to any of you?
iceburglar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Gentoo turned out to be a killer-penguin! Reply with quote

ralphj wrote:
Since I have a fairly old PC, an IBM Aptiva with an AMD K6-2 380 MHz, I thought: let's push this thing to the max

I assume you mean 350. Here's my ode to my Aptiva 2158-240:

This same model was my only machine up until about a month ago (just built an NF7-Sv2/XP2600 box). I am very fond of my Aptiva, and it served me very well since late 98, dual-booting Win2kPro and RedHat (6, 7, & 8 ). Win2k ran very fast on it, but KDE and Gnome under RH were painful.

I am planning on re-commissioning it as a headless gentoo box, to serve out its remaining days as a webserver. It was never turned off for more than a half hour (to add a PCI card or whatever), and never had a problem. I was wondering how long a stage 2 install would take, thanks for posting that data. Gladly, I have no need for X on this.

Quote:
Then suddenly, out of nowhere, MC complained about not being able to read to the cd. I unmounted it, and tried to mount it again. Mount gave me the 'too many filesystems mounted or etc.'-error. I wanted the cd back, so I decided to reboot. Gentoo closed nicely and rebooted.

I started getting severe filesystem errors on my first attempted install (on a new Shuttle SK41G XPC). When I ran reiserfsck, I think it even told me I should throw away my hard drive (might have been fdisk or cfdisk that told me this). Basically it said the errors I was getting would progressively get worse, not worth it... buy a new drive.

This was unacceptable since the drive was brand new, and the first thing to touch was gentoo. I yanked it and put into my windoze box, and ran a low level testing utility from Western Digital (120 GB ATA100, took 3 hours to run) which tested every block (or something) and it passed.

The latest problem I'm having is that a "halt" or "shutdown -h" doesn't actually power down the box (I have to hold down power button for 4 secs).

For some reason, Gentoo seems to run my CPU temps very high, and I have a hunch this is where the problems may be caused. It also may be issues with the kernel, but I've compiled custom kernels on RH several times, and never had any stability problems

Quote:
Then it just froze on the bios-screen. The off-button didn't work, the only thing I could do was a ctr-alt-del - I couldn't even get in the bios-setup. I thought it might have gotten a bit overheated, so I switched it off.
...snip...
so apparently at least one memoryslot is broken.

So what's up with all this? Is it my motherboard? Does any of this sound familiar to any of you?

Apparently, some hardware probing (lm_sensors) on IBM Thinkpads can permanently kill them, I wonder if IBM Aptivas are vulnerable to such things as well.

Please keep me informed of anything you find out.
But to one person, you may just be the world. - Source Unknown.
ralphj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems my CD-ROM drive has broken down - and that's it... I tried to boot it today, and when it hung I just left it for a couple of minutes. When I came back, the machine had booted up perfectly, except that the CD-ROM was inaccessable. I removed the drive and everything's ok...

Weird, this probably has little or nothing to do with Gentoo...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: