A crazy thought
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: A crazy thought Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone that reads the forums often, are sick of people always posting about topic that have gone over a million times before hand. So this thought came into my mind. Please bear in mind its 6am Sunday Morning.

Perhaps the first page you go to when you type in https://forums.gentoo.org should not contain, any threadlists, instead only the option to search the forums. This way it would cut down on duplicate posts.

Perhaps your saying, hmm ok, but what about the people that go here all the time? They don't want to click on a link that goes to the thread lists everytime. This is very true, but, all the people that come to forums.gentoo.org more than likely has it bookmarked. Well, simple, bookmark the page with something to this effect. https://forums.gentoo.org/?skip or whatever it maybe.

Or maybe just might do the trick if used properly ;) haha
Code:

<font size=6 color=red>SEARCH THE DAMN FORUMS</font>

Maybe I'm just crazy and this doesn't make any sense to anyone else, or maybe it just isn't fesible, but I thought I would share this with you all.

https://dylix.org/
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That idea doesn't really fit in to the Gentoo community... I mean, we're supposed to be friendly to newbies... then again, I haven't spent a lot of time answering questions in the support forums so I can't tell if that sort of thing would actually be so useful it would warrant the bad attitude...
fdavid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The duplicated topics and posts disturb me as well, but i wouldn't expect too much of that kind of solution. People won't stop posting already discussed topics, but will complain about the change...in duplicated threads.

Gentoo forums provide great support and it shouldn't be messed up. So i would be glad as well, wehen people would use the forums with more care, but i'm sceptic of the successfulness of such kind of changes. Nonetheless i would be glad, because i always start at the search page.
stustill
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fine as it is, it would be irritating to have to navigate through one more page everytime you come to the forums, and besides, there is already a Quick Search thingy-me-bob at the top of the page!

Stu
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a little far-fetched, but bear with me. What if, upon clicking the "submit" button, the server autmatically parsed your message and performed a search based on the important words in the message. You would then be directed to a page with links to all of the search results and a couple of buttons:

1. "Nevermind, I found my answer (Canel Post)", and
2. "Those threads didn't help (Continue with Post)".
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone would just bookmark the forum list page like I suspect a lot of people do already. Theres little point in this. Maybe for the first 50 posts you make you could have a question saying..."Are you sure you've searched for the answer?" :-D
Hehe, this would probably just lead to the first 50 posts by each user saying things like..."I can't wait to get rid of that fucking confirmatino message!".
This thread should be in gentoo forums feedback.

Puggy
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmitchell wrote:
This may be a little far-fetched, but bear with me. What if, upon clicking the "submit" button, the server autmatically parsed your message and performed a search based on the important words in the message. You would then be directed to a page with links to all of the search results and a couple of buttons:

1. "Nevermind, I found my answer (Canel Post)", and
2. "Those threads didn't help (Continue with Post)".

This would be well annoying I think. Also people would go straight to the posting stage without searching themselves even more if they knew it was going to try and search.

And how do you know the important words?
A lot of the time the titles are totally irrelevant or too general to the actual problem..
e.g.
title:Install failed
Body:emerge isn't there on my install.

Puggy: Have you gone into the chroot?

reply: I did that last night. Then I shutdown and am continuing the install this morning. Can I just go back in or do I have to start over?

Puggy: You'll have to start again, but from stage1 this time. :twisted: Mwahahahahaha

Ok, it's 3:20. time for bed methinks.

Puggy
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: