Sharing /usr/portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Sharing /usr/portage Reply with quote

I was wondering if it's possible/feasible to share the /usr/portage directory between multiple installs of Gentoo. I've read one topic that said something about it being possible using read-only access, but that was in a possible case of multiple simultanious access over an NFS server. I'd prefer to have read-write access so that I can do an emerge rsync from whichever version I decide to boot from, and it would never be used simultaniously by different installs of Gentoo. What I want to do is place /usr/portage on another partition on my HD so that if I would either need to reinstall gentoo or if I would have a second installation of Gentoo to a different partition, I could use that and cut my download times way down. (especially the emerge rsync stuff).

Does this seem like a feasible thing to do?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Beattie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is right, but what you have to do is have one computer host the NFS share and then export it just like a typical NFS share... then you make the other computers mount that directory with read write access. you should be able to use it transparently from any computer.
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good... but I'm not using it on multiple computers. I'm dual booting Gentoo and, uhm, Gentoo. :P I just wanted to share that partition when I boot into one or the other. I know it sounds silly, but I'm doing it because I want to have one set up as my normal user environment, and then I want the other to try stuff in without worry of screwing too much up. Like for trying out GCC3, new versions of X when the come out, or something like that...

Still sound feasible?

Jeremy
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. Just make the /usr/portage directory it's own partition, and put it in your /etc/fstab to automount on boot. Neat idea!

Cool.
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thinker5555.

I follow the same path. My solution would (will) be to have a /home-partition which is shared by the "several" gentoo-installs. One of the directories in /home will be the portage-directory which is to be symlinked to /usr/portage. The other directoires contain my user(s).
That gives me the advantage of having the same home in all my gentoo's and the shared portage-dir.
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the help. I believe I'll give it a go, then. I especially like the idea of putting it on my /home partition. I have that seperate as well, (and I went a bit overboard giving it 5GB of space... so this will use it nicely) Thanks again! :)

Jeremy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: