View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troggy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: The linux addiction ??? Reply with quote

Damn ! Linux got me ! I like it so bad that I think alsa is sending messages to my subconscious mind when I play sound. I started with gentoo in early April this year - a friend of mine told me about it and having already had some experiencec with debian, I freed some space on my disk and began doing a stage 1 install on my athlon... before I had mostly played on my box and had fooled around with Photoshop but since I started to play with my Gentoo I have experienced serious changes to my point of view:

-I wasn't interested in anything near computer science before. Now i took theoretical computer science as a minor at my studies and I like it so much that I have decided to drop physics and make computer science my major.
-The type of books I usually read changed from books about art & design to stuff like Tanenbaum's Modern Operating systems, etc.
-My consumption of caffeine hast tripled (though that may be related to my studies in general :wink: ).
-I don't watch news on TV anymor nor do I read any newspapers. Instead I read slashdot and heise News
-I worship the great vaderkoala :twisted:

Did linux change your life that drastically too or did you change and therefore dealt with linux or didn't you change in any way and were born with a UID tattooed to your forehead ?

Greetz
Troggy
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I have had similiar experiences.

Ever since I started using Linux, I have become more interested in Computer Science, before, I was just interested, now, I actually know more than the IT faculty combined.

Getting interested in Linux also got me to start Thinking Different; the next computer acquired was an iMac G4. Before, I didn't even realise Mac OS X existed...

Furthermore, my usage of the CLI has skyrocketed; even on Windows I try to use cygwin as much as possible as opposed to Visual C++... Except when developing a rather large application with hundreds of little classes.

Before, I was planning to learn C#, now, I plan to learn PHP and LISP.

One last thing: Before, I only used Visual Basic and C++. Now, I use C, C++, Objective-C, Java and bash...

If anything, for most people, using any UNIX or UNIX-like system is the first step to getting a wider view of the computer world.

Speaking of UID, who has 666?
allend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't need linux to be interested about Computer Science 8) But it does change my life. No need to pay microsoft and no need to buy games anymore!
hgomersall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allend wrote:
Didn't need linux to be interested about Computer Science 8) But it does change my life. No need to pay microsoft and no need to buy games anymore!

That's a really good point. I no longer play games, because I can fill my free time by tweaking my system, or learning about some new (to me) software or language, or just reading about linuxy stuff. I haven't felt the need to play games in a long time. I'm sure that is a good thing though.
Gandalf_Grey_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using linux about a year ago, at the same time I decided to go to university for comp sci (this was at the endish of grade 11). The two may or may not be mutually inclusive, however now I want to keep learning more and more. I don't watch TV anymore (except for anime), read slashdot as my source of news, I never ever play games anymore.
Useful Idiot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hgomersall wrote:
That's a really good point. I no longer play games, because I can fill my free time by tweaking my system, or learning about some new (to me) software or language, or just reading about linuxy stuff. I haven't felt the need to play games in a long time. I'm sure that is a good thing though.

This is exactly what happened to me. I used to play a lot of games when I used Windows, but now I'm either hacking my computer or finding out new stuff about Linux and computers in general from web and books etc. Basicly I'm doing things I couldn't do in Windows.

My friends have a hard time understading this. They mostly use Windows and don't really have a glue how deep in your system you can go and that my "cool-looking-but-very-weird-desktop" - as they call it - is just the surface. Try telling them how much fun it's to try out latest mm-sources, compile your system with latest glibc and gcc or just generally play with the OS. Next minute they will be asking what games does it run or does Photoshop work in it.
2k..
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story is slightly different

I used to be interested in computers and started studying software engineering at uni, i sucessfully completed the first 2 years but in the third year i had a breakdown.

3 years have passed since quitting uni and my interest in computers was pretty much destroyed, the course at uni was just crap, bad modules poorly taught.

6 months ago i installed redhat before moving onto slack and now gentoo (i plan to stay with gentoo :) ) and my interest is back again, i feel hungry to learn and do more. I am inspired to start coding again it's almost 4 years since i wrote a line of code!!!

I love linux :)

Mike
thegarbageman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a programmer since my first computer. BASIC on the 8088. I eventually moved to Windows 3.1 > 95 > 98. I was writing little games to play and things to help me at work. Then I discovered Linux. Suddenly, there was an explosion of possibilities. I would never go back to Microsoft.

You say you don't play "games" so much anymore. What is a game? An activity designed to entertain, that is governed by a set of rules. I think we have just stumbled upon the best game yet.
hgomersall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegarbageman wrote:

You say you don't play "games" so much anymore. What is a game? An activity designed to entertain, that is governed by a set of rules. I think we have just stumbled upon the best game yet.

linux: the game of keeping oneself free from itches.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is diferent yet again.
i was moderately interested in computers, and as you do on a windows box started looking at exploits, before i knew it i had found 8 on my schools network and started playing with them, then i accidentally (sortof) hacked into the schools NT server and barely new it for about 2 mins until i realised i was browsing the person sitting next to me's files., i though OH SH*T as one does.

i got into hot water and the idiots of the school blamed me for M$ Word crashing and stuff, but no damage was done so i got warned not to do a thing again.

i started looking at my security very shortly after. hearing of linux around the net as being the Ultimate Secure tank i gave Redhat 7.2 a go. it was ok, i could play mp3's and managed to mount my windows hdd.

then after a while i moved on to Mandrake 8.2
after 2 days i got the internet working (got a broadband connection a few days before), i was like WAHOOOO

then Mandrake 9.0 came out a bit later, LOVELY it was my Main OS within a month.

then in about April this year i tryed Mandrake 9.1, it was BULLSH*T.
been hearing about Gentoo, WTF i just messed up my system.
installed it, failed, another go, failed, another go failed.

i wouldn't give up.
it installed (i was new to compiling Kernels)
and now i use Gentoo as my Main OS and 2 other computers on my network run linux, my laptop runs Gentoo, my router (home-made) runs IPCop.

my dads dual boots Windows ME and 2K (he's a heavy vidio editor and DVD <cough>backup-er

my sister runs Windows ME.

ever since i started using linux my knowlege has grown amazingly.
(i didn't know what a packet was before, now i'm making my own firewalls)
i still play games (Quake 3, UT2003_demo, RTCW:ET, AA, all under linux.

i have my PS2 hooked up to the network and play SOCOM a LOT.

but i still enjoy making problems in linux and trying to solve them (my last one was "rm -rf /usr/src/linux-2.4.20", took me a day to fix it)

hope this wasn't toooo long, oh god i wrote an essay at 1:35am in the mornin.
Papapishu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img:dc377d3ecf]http://www.starfleet.it/immagini/images/borg-queen.jpg[/img:dc377d3ecf]
Welcome to the collective, Troggy of Gentoo.

I have always had the hacker nature, so therefore Linux was as natural to me as water to a fish.
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The linux addiction ??? Reply with quote

Troggy wrote:

-The type of books I usually read changed from books about art & design to stuff like Tanenbaum's Modern Operating systems, etc.

I've read that, its one of my course texts. Quite a good book, and we had a wicked lecturer for it as well.
Gandalf_Grey_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viperlin wrote:
mine is diferent yet again.
i accidentally (sortof) hacked into the schools NT server and barely new it for about 2 mins until i realised i was browsing the person sitting next to me's files., i though OH SH*T as one does.

i got into hot water and the idiots of the school blamed me for M$ Word crashing and stuff, but no damage was done so i got warned not to do a thing again.

Kinda what happened at my school. The 4 IB comp sci students (me and 3 others) are the only students really adept with computer sin my school. One of us is an absolute genius at computer. He has found a shitload of exploits in the latest novell stuff. Such as that the default is that it creates a few printer accounts, with netwrok admin access, with no password. Luckily our school has a VERY good network admin, and he thanked him.

The rest of us have found tiny exploits, such as the ability to get onto any computer, run any program, go on the internet etc without logging in. but nothing of the printer accounts magnitude.
porter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to spend a lot of time with playing multiplayer games. Linux helped me to get rid off this addiction but now i have a new one - linux :D .Furthermore it made me more interested in computer science, although i was interested in it before.
NatuNobilis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been interested in computers. I was the guy everyone in my school class used to ask when they had a problem with MS-DOS/Win3.1/Win95. That was school.

But I used to think: "I just like computers as tools. I don't wanna be a Computer Scientist." I chose Biology as my professional carrer.

Now I'm graduated, but in the middle of the process I installed and (progressively) liked Linux (starting in '99 with RedHat 5).
Now I *love* Linux, can't live without it, and can't stand any windows flavor (except for w2k, which I usually say is "almost good" -- I haven't bought it, of course).

With this ever-growing love for Linux and especially Gentoo, I will apply for a PhD on computational biology. I also plan to learn the basics of CS from books (my cousin is a post-graduate computer science genius, and I borrowed some of the books he's learned from). Preferrably, *before* beginning the PhD course.
During the first year of my Masters I took an undergrad C course, and I'm now trying to learn Python from free web resources. It's been quite difficult though, and I feel ashamed of my difficulty. C'mon, Python _is_ easy, isn't it?

I have never played much on my machines, and now I play a little less. I find it definitely good too.

NatuNobilis
scrllock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.. 2 years ago (freshman year of HS), I first discovered linux.. Now that I use it constantly, I no longer watch tv, and don't spend nearly as much time playing games. Still have to work on that whole social thing tho.. :roll:
lizardloop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar experience for me, since I installed gentoo on my main box about a month a go I've almost completely stopped playing Counter Strike, only play Unreal Tournament when my friends bring their computers round to my house for a LAN party. I only watch TV for the simpsons now. Guess I've got the linux addiction too.
bd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first tried linux i didnt unterstand a shit. But after installing gentoo i knew enough to learn more. And i think that's the reason that i spend tooooo much time staring at my computer.

Now, my mother thinks i'm asleep since 4 hours. I cant leave my computer!!
Troggy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I only watch TV for the simpsons now. Guess I've got the linux addiction too.

DAMN ! There is no usable Linux driver for my TV Tuner Card (cx881chipset) yet, so I have to boot Windows to watch the simpsons. That's somehow humiliating :oops:

Greetz
Troggy
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linux didnt give me the "addiction", gentoo did. i started on mandrake and was instantly put off. that was 7.1 thou, quite some time about still valid point thou:) when i started using gentoo 3months ago thats when i got hooked i love hacking away on it. so much so that ive just setup apache and started php coding. for some reason coding just feels "right" in linux. whenever i coded *shudder vb* in windows or any code it just didnt feel right some how, cant describe it. i think linux having gcc helps alot aswell
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troggy wrote:
There is no usable Linux driver for my TV Tuner Card (cx881chipset) yet

Are you sure?
bashir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The linux addiction ??? Reply with quote

Troggy wrote:
Damn ! Linux got me ! [...] -I wasn't interested in anything near computer science before. Now i took theoretical computer science as a minor at my studies and I like it so much that I have decided to drop physics and make computer science my major.

I have to agree.

Still I am using gentoo, it isn't still playing with computers - 'cause I'm interested in. :lol:

Now it's more like a drug. I obvisiouly stuck in an addiction.

I read books like "Firewalls and Internet Security" or "The Tanenbaum", books about the philosophy of Free Software.

Sometimes I think I am crazy - I have to learn for my second exam - and my studies have nothing to do with "DDoS attacks on my little server" (real problems like "Is Tourette's syndrome a lesion in the striatum" don't care me anymore). :evil:

So please Larry take me back to real life.

bashir
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my scoop:

I went to a tech mag high school where you could choose from a 5 different technology tracks. By the tenth grade you had to have it locked down because that's when you took your specific classes. I choose information technology. I took like DOS (which they called OS fundamentals 8O ), PC repair, and some higher level MCSE stuff where we actually had to build our own networks. That's were I learned a lot about the OSI model, TCP/IP, etc...

Well it wasn't to the end of high school that I actually got my first machine (second hand) and taught myself programming one summer (QBASIC and HTML). Eventually I went to a local college and got a job working tech support and learned a lot their. I saved up, bought an ibook, and that's when I started into UNIX and CLI stuff. Some guy at work gave me a redhat disk and I was hooked. And somehow I ended up at Gentoo :D

And anyone who tells you tech support is easy is lying!

Oh, and games: I used to play about 10 hours of CS a day (yeah I know that's a lot), but honestly now I don't have enough time in the day to read all the interesting Computer Science literature that exists. I actually sold all my i386 hardware because I didn't have any use for them.

Last edited by zenlunatic on Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nalfein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm addicted to gentoo since i install it one month ago. I never realy fell in love with any OS before gentoo. i was using mandrake and i felt about the same that a felt in windows environments.

I'm studiing in computer sciences in Canada and i'm so disapointed to see what will be the future of computer sciences. We are about 50 person in our whole promotion that are using unix like OSs. 6 month ago we integrate our first linux(debian) laboratory and since the begining it's the most desert place in the faculty (same thing for our sun laboratory). People continu using Windows AHHHH.

I'm so disapointed and i fear for the future of computer sciences.
digitalb0y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Gentoo, The Addiction Reply with quote

I orginaly started with Slackware96 back in HighSchool, Cause I hated Windows 95 soo much. That was back before there were grapical installs. I got it working on my 486 and ran good. Too bad did'nt have Internet at the time, nor was there a decent file browser like "norton commander" at that time (or at least what I could find) . So I lost intrest for a while, about a year later checked out RedHat, Had an Graphical Install , Alot Easyer than Slackware to install , then to Mandrake the following years, The I FOUND GENTOO!!! in 2002, WOW What an Addiction, I've learned SOO much more about Linux, I Have it on Both of my two Desktops Frist my AthlonXp1800 then My P2-400.
Next im going to uninstall Mandrake on my Dell 750mhz and putting Getoo on It!!! Cant Stop, the Addiction
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: