View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Well, not to make anyone drool to much, but I took the steps I did when I wrote that little mini-howto and I have this. The theme is Gorilla from the new gnome-themes-extra package. I downloaded it and installed it with the configure, make, make install deal. That wasn't the best way I guess because it installed everything to /usr/local and I had to move everything. There is a ebuild for it now (breakmygentoo, I believe) but I don't know what the deps are. Might have to install it with -O. If you install the tarball like I did, you'll need to add --prefix=/usr to configure.

dessaliness: I'm using openssl-0.9.6i-r2 and I have no problems with OO, Xchat, or anything at all really. Did you remove your current installation of openssl when you installed Ximian?

I think I might try killing everything on my box and doing this all over from scratch so I can try to replicate any problems anyones having and see if I can fix them. Keep in mind though that I didn't remove all that much stuff from my computer before installing. I thought you probably should to keep issues with Portage from popping up, but in hindsight that might be the reason for the problems. :(

geek: Why are you using Evolution beta? Use the version that comes with Ximian.
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am installing from scratch on my little brothers machine too. How would you advise? Should I go through emerging gnome frist, or just try a fresh Ximian install. I think some of the problems I encountered was because of all those things I uninstalled because I saw them listed amongst the files I downloaded for Ximian. I will let u all know how it goes.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the things I removed from a stable Portage version of Gnome are the things I had listed. Mozilla, Galeon, GIMP and Open Office. I can't remember if there was anything else I said, but those stand out most in my head. I guess it was a bad idea to remove anything more than that. I'll amend my directions. :) If you're installing fresh with no Gnome bits at all, you can be adventurous and let us know how that turns out (because I was thinking of doing the same, myself) or you can be safe and emerge Gnome first, so that all the support libs are pulled in and installed, then remove the files listed in the ebuild and drop the Ximian RPMs on top of it.

Up to you, but either way, let me know how it goes. :)
IcEr3K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try to install from fresh.
It writes all the libs in /usr/lib and conflicts with your current libs, not good. When you try to run Ximian, it'll try and load the libs that are located elsewhere, and moving them all to the correct dir would be a waste of time. Might as well emerge GNOME.
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Ok. Thanks for the warning
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: