View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: The "Quick and Dirty" Ximian Desktop Reply with quote

Ok, I wrote this up as I was doing it so that I could document all the steps I took. After having completed it, I don't recomend it to anyone unless they have a spare box to test on and/or don't mind recompiling Gnome from scratch as soon as newer versions come out. You've been warned.

----

*Disclaimer 1*

This most definatly has the potential to destroy an otherwise perfectly working Gnome installation. You do this at your own risk.

*Disclaimer 2*

I do not know the legalities of installing this software on an "unsupported" distribution. What I do know is that this is an Open Source project and that all files downloaded here are taken directly off a public ftp server. That tells me they do not mind someone downloading and using it. Again though, use at your own risk.

On a personal note, Ximian has to know that people are going to try to hack this in some way since as of this writing, they're only supporting 2 distributions. Assuming that no users from any other distro are going to want this is silly.

*Disclaimer 3*

As the subject states, this is the "quick and dirty" Ximian Desktop. Installing software this way runs exactly counter to the spirit of Gentoo. If you have a moral/ethical problem with precompiled binaries, this isn't for you. I would suggest waiting for the (semi)offical build that is currently underway.

----

Still with me? Alright, lets get to it. First thing you need are the RPM's. I've found ximian.netnitco.net to be an extremely fast mirror. They only allow 25 users at a time, so you might have to wait, but I got all files at no less than 200k/sec apiece. Ah, one last note before we begin: Ximian is big. We're talking 400 megs. There is some devel stuff that we probably don't need, but this method is "quick and dirty" so we're going to install the whole shebang. Modify these instructions as necessary if you only want certain packages. Its probably a good idea to make a dir in /home to hold these files. I'm doing this from /home/lurid/ximian. All referances to `lurid' should be replaced with your user name.

1. Right, so first things first: Getting the RPM's.

Code:
mkdir ximian
cd ~/ximian
wget ftp://ximian.netnitco.net/pub/mirrors/ximian/xd2/redhat-80-i386/*

I choose to go with Red Hat 8 because it appears to be mostly similar to the structure of Gentoo. At least from what I've seen. So, this will take awhile, even with the speed of this mirror. Feel free to take a nap.

2. Next comes the fun part: Nuke Gnome.

Yeah, you're going to unmerge all your Gnome stuff. This is important to keep consistancy with packages. Having two half versions of Gnome around is going to cause you headaches. Doing an emerge -u world is going to want to update Gnome, which is going to kill Ximian, etc. This part is actually kinda fun (I thought so, at least). The easiest way to do this is from the console. Open /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/whatever_version_you_have.ebuild. Doing

Code:
emerge -p gnome

Should tell you the version you have. For example:

Code:
lurid@virulent gnome $ emerge -p gnome

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R  ] gnome-base/gnome-2.2.1

I would then open /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.2.1.ebuild. Now you'll see a nice long list of packages. Kill 'em. Unmerge every package listed. When you're done with that, you'll want to unmerge Galeon (if you have it) and Mozilla, as Ximian provides both of these for us. If you've got Open Office installed, nuke that too as well as GIMP. Lastly, don't forget to unmerge `gnome-2.2.1' so that Portage doesn't try to update later.

3. The file hunt: Get rpm2targz

I had a hell of a time finding this program. I don't know if its in portage, but I couldn't find it. I ended up just downloading a tarball from Slackware, untarring it, and copying the file to /usr/bin. I'm sure there is a more elegant way, but I'm impatient. Once you find it we use it to convert the RPM's to, dun dun dun.. tar.gz files. This is a simple process, but took a while on my machine (probably because my hard drive(s) are very slow). Keep in mind this step needs double the space of the RPM's, so thats about 800 megs of free space total. Once we have our tarballs, we can nuke the RPM's dropping the space back to what it should be.

Code:
lurid@virulent ximian $ rpm2targz *

(take a nap)

lurid@virulent ximian $ rm *.rpm

4. Installation: XD2 here we come!

Assuming you've done this as a user (which I did) you now need to become root. Since these are just RPM's in a better format, we don't need to worry about compilation. These tarballs can just be untarred from /

Code:
lurid@virulent ximian $ su
<password>
root@virulent ximian # cd /
root@virulent / # for i in /home/lurid/ximian/*.gz ; do tar xzvf $i ; done

Sit back and watch your shiney new Ximian Desktop install.

5. Almost there: Fixing up some loose ends

After doing all this I was informed (heh) that I needed to upgrage to GLIBC-2.3.2. Its in Portage, but its unstable (as if that mattered, if you've come this far ;). So emerge that now if you need to. From here you can try to start up Gnome, but for me Metacity was seriously borked. Emerge the unstable version (2.4.55) and all works well.

Code:
root@virulent root # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -O metacity

-O disables dependancy checking. This is neccessary otherwise Portage will try to install Gnome, overwritting Ximian. Now we just copy the startup script.

Code:
root@virulent root # cp /etc/X11/gdm/gnomerc /home/lurid/.xinitrc

And then simply (as your user) startx. Everything *should* work as you're used to. I had no other problems at all except with Open Office. For it to work you need to emerge XML-Twig (and its deps).

Code:
root@virulent lurid # emerge XML-Twig

After that, Open Office works great. And damn does it look good. Only problem is that its an older version, so its still dog slow when it comes to loading.

You must realise that now that you've done this, you can no longer use Portage for anything Gnome related. You also cannot upgrade via Red Carpet because it customizes its dependancy checking based on distro (and we aren't so lucky). This is pretty much a one shot deal. If you like it (I do) use it, if you hate it.. well, you're mostly screwed because there is no easy way to uninstall. :P But I'm pretty sure re-emerging Gnome would overwrite anything we've done here.

Good luck!

Last edited by lurid on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ emerge -s rpm2targz
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : rpm2targz ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  app-arch/rpm2targz
      Latest version available: 8.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 3 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.slackware.com/config/packages.php
      Description: Convert a .rpm file to a .tar.gz archive
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshot
Better Screenshot

D'oh. Thanks. I think I was looking for rpm2tgz, not rpm2targz. So I took the hard way. Just makes it easier for everyone else, then. ;)

Last edited by lurid on Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
Screenshot

D'oh. Thanks. I think I was looking for rpm2tgz, not rpm2targz. So I took the hard way. Just makes it easier for everyone else, then. ;)

Heh..I was also looking for rpm2tgz at first. Then I tried emerge -s rpm, and came up with a short list, one of which was the right one.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an update that makes Galeon a bit more sane. By default, for whatever reason, after doing this Galeon puts its tabs on the _left side_ of the browser. This is extremely ugly as you can see [url=66.186.223.128/gal-xd2.jpg]here[/url]. A simple fix for this is to be found in gconf-editor.

Go to: apps ->galeon ->UI ->Tabs

Then create a new key called tabbed_position and set it as 2. Bingo! Normal tabs. :D
geek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have XD2 now working (mostly) after following lurids instructions. The problem that I'm having is that gnome-terminal generates an error when I attempt to run it. Anyone else with this problem?
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Yeah, it doesn't work. I never use it, I prefer ATerm personally.. so I didn't even notice that it was broken. I emerged rpm and just re-downloaded Ximians gnome-terminal and did a

Code:
rpm -iU --nodeps gnome-terminal-2.2.1-0.ximian.5.6.i386.rpm

And now it works fine. I don't know what caused it to not work from the begining. Really though, you should concider ATerm. ;)

Glad you decided to take the plung, though. This thread has been viewed an awful lot and no one is replying, so I guess everyone is scared. :P If you come across any other problems let me know. Personally, everything has worked great for me. My only problem is that I didn't bother to unmerge a lot of packages, so Portage is kinda messy at the moment. I'm thinking of reinstalling Gentoo and doing this from the begining (ie. emerging no Gnome packages), that way everything will be nice and tidy.
geek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly like Eterm better than gnome-terminal, but I want to have everything working. The only other problem I've had is one oowriter lockup. Then again, I've been running it for under 24 hours.

This is currently running on a PIII 500 with a Matrox G400 using xinerama. I'll be installing it on my wifes new laptop once Gentoo is initially setup. I'm also interesting in setting it up without having gnome previously installed.

I hope the Ebuild project works out, because I'm really enjoying this desktop.

I'm compiling rpm and I'll let you know if and when it works.
SKBo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
Screenshot
Better Screenshot

Which MP3 player is this (on the second link) ? It is part of the portage tree ? Or from the Ximian stuffs ?
Well... I want it !!! 8O
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geek: Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Ebuilds too. I'd much rather do this from within Portage and using RPM's just feels kinda dirty. ;) But I also wanted to use XD2 without waiting. This is a good compromise.

SKBo: Thats net-Rhythmbox. I don't believe its been officially put in Portage yet. I used the ebuild from breakmygentoo.net. There are two versions: net-Rhythmbox and Rhythmbox-cvs. net-Rhythmbox is a fork of Rhythmbox, which has more completed features and is generally more useable than Rhythmbox-cvs (eg. You can make playlists with net-Rhythbox, but can't with Rhythmbox-cvs). Its not realated to Ximian at all. :)
SKBo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot ! I'll try that, I looooove breaking my Gentoo :P
geek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
rpm -iU --nodeps gnome-terminal-2.2.1-0.ximian.5.6.i386.rpm

Fixed my gnome-terminal problem.

rpm's make me feel dirty too. :oops:
IcEr3K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried to install Ximian without installing GNOME or KDE beforehand.. and when I try to start Ximian, it asks for all these libs... Help?
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What libs does it ask for specifically? Could be two things:

1. Did you run ldconfig after installing? I think Gentoo does it with the env-update command. Give it a shot.

2. If they're libs that you haven't downloaded as part of the Ximian packaged, can you emerge them? As far as I knew, Ximian was complete on its own though.
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Problemz Starting Reply with quote

I cant get the desktop started it seems. when I do startx I get my nvidia logo and all but then X crashes before ximian loads. When I try to start any gnome related app from blackbox I get the following error. What am I missing?

/usr/bin/galeon-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgnome-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Problemz Starting Reply with quote

dessaliness wrote:
I cant get the desktop started it seems. when I do startx I get my nvidia logo and all but then X crashes before ximian loads. When I try to start any gnome related app from blackbox I get the following error. What am I missing?

/usr/bin/galeon-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgnome-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Did you copy over the start up script from /etc/X11/gdm?

Code:
cp /etc/X11/gdm/gnomerc /home/your_user/.xinitrc

Also try doing updatedb and then try to locate the lib.

Code:
lurid@virulent lurid $ locate libgnome-2.so.0
/usr/lib/libgnome-2.so.0.200.1
/usr/lib/libgnome-2.so.0

If you followed the directions I don't see why I'd have a file you didn't. Sometimes files aren't recognised as being there until you run ldconfig (env-update) and/or updatedb.
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Problemz Reply with quote

Hey I didnt see the files you have. Hmmm I got this output when I was changing the files to gz format. My connection fluctuates sometimes. It tends to get very very awful at times. Think some of the files got corrupted?

zip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
Processing file: libIDL-devel-0.8.2-0.ximian.5.1.i386.rpm

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
Processing file: libart_lgpl-2.3.12-0.ximian.5.2.i386.rpm
incomplete literal tree

Processing file: libart_lgpl-devel-2.3.12-0.ximian.5.2.i386.rpm

Processing file: libbonobo-2.2.2-0.ximian.5.1.i386.rpm

Processing file: libbonobo-devel-2.2.2-0.ximian.5.1.i386.rpm

Processing file: libbonoboui-2.2.2-0.ximian.5.1.i386.rpm

Processing file: libbonoboui-devel-2.2.2-0.ximian.5.1.i386.rpm

Processing file: libcapplet0-1.5.12-0.ximian.5.10.i386.rpm

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
Processing file: libcapplet0-devel-1.5.12-0.ximian.5.10.i386.rpm

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
carrett
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is probably a stupid question, but what's so great about XD? it seems like it's nothing but gnome+evolution and a slick-ish theme....correct me if i'm wrong.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessaliness: Yes, I'd say that is a Bad Thing (tm). There should be no error messages when you convert the files. I hate to say thats the problem because that means you'd have to redownload the entire thing, and if that wasn't the problem, you'd of wasted a lot of time redownloading. :( All I know is what I did and the experience I had when doing it. I had no error messages at all, and everything Just Worked (tm) for me. So.. I'm leaning towards bad files.

carrett: There is nothing "so great" about Ximian. Ximian is basically run by Gnome developers who have made a commercial product that offers some improvments from the base Gnome installation. Some of these improvements include a "slick-ish theme" that extends to all levels of the desktop, from GDM to legacy Gnome 1.4 programs. Other major improvments include the major work done to the GUI of Open Office, which, if you've ever seriously used it, you should be able to appreciate immensely.

There are many other minor improvments and patches to little things, such as the file select dialog, that just make the entire desktop look and feel better. If you're looking for a revolutionary change from Gnome 2.2, you're not going to find it. If you'd like a nicely integrated version of Gnome 2.2 with some minor improvements that make the little things easier, you'll like Ximian.

Its really designed for corperate use and people that have never seen a Gnome desktop before. Some of the changes are nice because its made things easier (being able to type smb:// in Nautilus is a plus) while other things like lableing Galeon as "Web Browser" seem like moves to make newbies free more at home. How does someone new know what Galeon is? Everyone knows what a browser is, so its labled as such. Its a nice touch for new users.

All in all, with Ximian, its the little things that count. Those are the things I like about it.
IcEr3K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
What libs does it ask for specifically? Could be two things:

1. Did you run ldconfig after installing? I think Gentoo does it with the env-update command. Give it a shot.

2. If they're libs that you haven't downloaded as part of the Ximian packaged, can you emerge them? As far as I knew, Ximian was complete on its own though.

Well, here's the exact message:

Code:

gnome-session: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea?
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcEr3K: Uhm, yeah. You need to emerge openssl. :wink:
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Yeah Yeah Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got it up and running after re-emerging some of the stuff I had uinstalled because I saw them listed among the Ximian rpms. For the fellow who asked why Ximian... I have one word by way of response. .... "Elegane".

Byt the way lurid did you get open office to work immediately? And the games too? Cuz some of them dont work for me. :roll: what do I need to do to get open office to work? My error is as follows:

Installation of OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 failed:
'/usr/lib/ooo-1.0.3/program/setup -R:/etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf -v -nogui >& ~/.openoffice-install-log'

Any Ideas?
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I went and extracted the open office file from the top directory ( / ) now I get the this error in my log:

/usr/lib/ooo-1.0.3/program/setup.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Its the same error I get when I try to run xchat despite trying numerous versions of openssl. Ideas anyone?
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Questons Questions Reply with quote

Hmmmm.

Lurid:

1. Where do you get those lovely icons and stuff I seen in your screenshots? Can I borrow them :twisted:

2. Is it ok to do a emerge of evolution? Will this mess up the Ximian Desktop?

Hey wak up you guys, its morning.... at least here in Jamaica. :wink:
geek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution 1.4 beta failed for me because of it's dependencies on packages that I had to remove to get xd2 installed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: