Aug-11 LiveCD Hangups?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Aug-11 LiveCD Hangups? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I seem to have some wierd issues with the Aug-11 LiveCD. At least, I did not have this issue with the previous experimental LiveCD. The system is an Ultra60 with dual 360Mhz processors, 1024MB RAM, and (2) 9GB Drives.

When doing various emerges during the installation, emerge will just stop responding. Doing a top in another virtual console shows a process taking up 100% of the CPU but nothing seems to be happening. The last two times it happened, the process was grep. What I see on the screen is something like:
Code:

merging sys-apps/hdparm-5.3-r2
<cursor just sits here>

I let it sit for 35 minutes, and nothing happened. I hit control-c, then ran emerge again, and it worked fine. This has happened multiple times (5 I think) with different ebuilds. The process hog command has been different as well (grep, cat, and I believe cp as well).

It is a very intermittent problem, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed something like this? I've got another Ultra60, with similar configuration (though different hard drives) that I'm going to attempt to install tonight to see if I get the same issue.

Thanks

SMF

Also, mirrorselect crashes bad for me, anyone else? It does setup a GENTOO_MIRRORS tag in the make.conf, but its about a thousand characters of crap, with an occasional web address embeded into the crap.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SMF,

I'm guessing you are seeing these "lockups" while emerging system? And when you say you haven't seen these errors using previous LiveCDs, was it was on the system?
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Hi SMF,

I'm guessing you are seeing these "lockups" while emerging system? And when you say you haven't seen these errors using previous LiveCDs, was it was on the system?

Weeve,

I had it happen once or twice during bootstrap, as well as during 'emerge system'.

A point to note, it just did it again while typing this post. The screen shows:

Code:

>>> Install which-2.14 into /var/tmp/portage/which-2.14/image category sys-apps
man:
info:
prepallstrip:
strip:
strip:
    /usr/bin/which
>>> Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/which-2.14/image/

>>> Merging sys-apps/which-2.14 to /
<cursor blinking>

Doing a PS in another VC shows grep taking up 100% of the CPU. Doing a 'ps -deaf' shows:

Code:

root   2209    7810  0   18:31 tty3   00:00:14 python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge system
root   21037  2209   0  19:12 tty3   00:00:00 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh preinst
root   21049  21037   0  19:12 tty3   00:00:00 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh preinst
root   21050 21037 99 19:12 tty3   00:07:03 grep -E -v ^SANDBOX_

I obviously cleaned that up some, and any spelling mistakes are mine, since I can't copy/paste. Normally, on Solaris, I'd kick off a truss on the process and figure out what the process is actually doing, so I'm not sure what else to attempt. Stoping and starting emerge system works, but its a bit of a pain.

Also, I had originally installed the older LiveCD (the one before Aug-11) and got to kernel compile before a powerfailure dumped the drive.

Hope that gives you enough information, or, more information that you had before.

Well crud, the system came back and started working again. 'grep' was using 100% CPU for at least 15 minutes, then its working. The next hang up I'll let sit for longer, though I did let it sit for 35 or so minutes earlier. Perhaps I'm just totally underestimating the speed of this system.

SMF
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Hi SMF,

Weeve,

I had it happen once or twice during bootstrap, as well as during 'emerge system'.

A point to note, it just did it again while typing this post. The screen shows:

Code:

>>> Install which-2.14 into /var/tmp/portage/which-2.14/image category sys-apps
man:
info:
prepallstrip:
strip:
strip:
    /usr/bin/which
>>> Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/which-2.14/image/

>>> Merging sys-apps/which-2.14 to /
<cursor blinking>

Doing a PS in another VC shows grep taking up 100% of the CPU. Doing a 'ps -deaf' shows:

Code:

root   2209    7810  0   18:31 tty3   00:00:14 python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge system
root   21037  2209   0  19:12 tty3   00:00:00 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh preinst
root   21049  21037   0  19:12 tty3   00:00:00 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh preinst
root   21050 21037 99 19:12 tty3   00:07:03 grep -E -v ^SANDBOX_

I obviously cleaned that up some, and any spelling mistakes are mine, since I can't copy/paste. Normally, on Solaris, I'd kick off a truss on the process and figure out what the process is actually doing, so I'm not sure what else to attempt. Stoping and starting emerge system works, but its a bit of a pain.

Also, I had originally installed the older LiveCD (the one before Aug-11) and got to kernel compile before a powerfailure dumped the drive.

Hope that gives you enough information, or, more information that you had before.

Well crud, the system came back and started working again. 'grep' was using 100% CPU for at least 15 minutes, then its working. The next hang up I'll let sit for longer, though I did let it sit for 35 or so minutes earlier. Perhaps I'm just totally underestimating the speed of this system.

SMF
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Still having issues Reply with quote

Weeve,

I started installing the 11-Aug LiveCD on my home system. I still appear to have some sort of issue with Ultra60s and the 11-Aug CD. I just kicked off my bootstrap after some problems with gettext (Something to add to the FAQ: Don't add "~sparc" to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS before bootstrap). the system finished configure for gettext and is now hanging.

I see this in one VC:
Code:

Checking wether the C++ compiler (g++ -mcpu=ultrasparc -O3 -pipe) works...no
configure: creatiing ./config.status
<cursor blinking>

Doing a top in another console shows that 'rm -f conftest.defines' is taking 100% of one CPU. I let it sit for 25 minutes, then hit CTRL+C.

I kicked off bootstrap again and it went right by that spot. I don't know if it is related, but at the very beginning of the build for gettext, there was a message that line 12 in emerge.sh tried to access /dev/stdout and it did not exist. This is similar to the /dev/stderr messages I was getting this morning on a separate system. Both problematic systems are Ultra60s, with exactly the same hardware except for the hard drives. One has dual 36GB 10K RPM drives, the other has dual 9GB 7200RPM drives.

I'll keep killing and restarting until I get through bootstrap. Is there a method to tell bootstrap to start where it left off?

Thanks.

Steven

---------------------------------
System Specifics:
Ultra60
Dual 360Mhz Processors
1024MB RAM
(2) Seagate 36GB 10K RPM SCSI Drives
OBP 3.25
Elite3D UPA Frame Buffer

Booted from the 'gentoo-smp' kernel.

-----------------------------------
make.conf changes:
Added "-java" to USE
Added GENTOO_MIRROR with close mirror
uncommented ultrasparc CFLAGS
added MAKEOPTS=-j3
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is no mechanism to resume bootstrap.

As we are using a beta kernel for the latest versions of the LiveCD, there may be something in there causing a problem. I will attempt to replicate here.
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Unfortunately there is no mechanism to resume bootstrap.

As we are using a beta kernel for the latest versions of the LiveCD, there may be something in there causing a problem. I will attempt to replicate here.

My system at the office started its kernel compile yesterday, so its 95% done. When I finish, I'll see if emerge still has hangups (I intend to run gnome and/or kde, which will be LOTS of emerging).

Thanks for looking into it.

SMF
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to test this and I can replicate. I have in the past had problems with the external SCSI CD-ROM I have to test with (probably due to it not being terminated), but this definitely seems to be different. I'll look into it more and let you know.

Thanks,
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Finally got a chance to test this and I can replicate. I have in the past had problems with the external SCSI CD-ROM I have to test with (probably due to it not being terminated), but this definitely seems to be different. I'll look into it more and let you know.

Thanks,

Thanks for looking into it Weeve. Fortunately, my 2 Gentoo-SPARC boxes are loaded at the moment, but I may start a new one in the near future, if you need some additional testing.

SMF
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: