Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
alsa sound problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: alsa sound problems Reply with quote

I'm trying to follow the Desktop Configuration Guide for sound installation but it refuses to work correctly.

I did everything, as far as I can tell, correctly. However, when I reboot, it can't load the snd-emu10k1 module for my SB Live! sound card:
I get: in dmesg after boot

EMU10K1/Audigy soundcard not found or device busy

and I can't run amixer as it says:

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your card is exactly the same configuration that is used in the Desktop Guide I doubt you have anything wrong in your setup (unless you made a small type-o or did read it correct, but I will dismiss those two possibilities). Did you compile any sound options into your kernel? I have heard in MANY places that if you use ALSA you should only provide basic sound support in the kernel and NO specific support for sound cards (neither modules nor direct support in the kernel). If you have sound support (other than soundcore) in your kernel you might try removing it. Also keep in mind that if you ever recompile your kernel all your "other" modules will go away (like ALSA and NVidia for example) so you will have to reload ALSA and any other extra modules you have after you recompile.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
bemixam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it is your kernel

had you activate sblive support in your kernel ?
Kawada
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same card, so I'll try to tell you exactly what I did. In your kernel settings under sound options, the only one you should say Y to is Sound Card Support. DO NOT say Y to Creative SB Live! (EMU10K1), although making it a module does not cause any problems as long as you don't load it (it's nice to have the module as a fallback if you can't get alsa going though). From there, I just followed the Desktop instructions to the letter. I had previously done an emerge of KDE with the USE flag set to alsa, so alsa was already emerged for me (check that you do have alsa-driver emerged). Next edit the /etc/modules.d/alsa file as it says in the instructions. Check VERY carefully for typos (this is where I ran into all of my trouble, I had written snd-cardX instead of snd-card-X). You should not alter anything else in this file. Next do the update-modules, so that the system will be aware of the changes you've made. Check through the /etc/devfsd.conf file to make sure the sound section matches exactly with the one in the instructions (unless you've made changes to it, it should already be fine). If that's okay, do the rc-update add alsasound boot (make sure it is boot and not default). After a reboot, everything should come up fine. If it doesn't, triple check to make sure there are no typos in those files (I spent two hours of frustration before I realized this was my problem, never just assume you did it right) and if the files are absolutely correct, perhaps check the hardware.

Hope this helps
gino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: it works :) Reply with quote

thanks Kawada..
I had the EMU10K1 compiled into the kernel.
It works now though, thanks much. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: