Using a desktop machine to compile software for old laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_J_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Using a desktop machine to compile software for old laptop Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I'll format my machine within the week due to the purchase of a new processor.
The two distros I'm currently consedering are Gentoo and Ubuntu.

Gentoo will win if I can get my newbie self a question answered... :D

Is it possible, after I have this desktop machine under Gentoo, to pre-compile a system for another machine?

I'm buying a Fujitsu B142 which is a nice little laptop. Windows is out of the question, so I've been roaming threw linux distros and what not, to get all the knowledge I need.

If it's possible to get an install inside a 4GB USB pen... I'll use Gentoo. If not I'll might just use something else...
The laptop doesn't have cd or diskette so I really need a USB based option.

I could always get a cable somewhere and try a net based install, but I rather not.

So...

Can I get a Pre-compiled tar on a 4GB USB pen drive as well as a USB pen based install?

P.S. : Just blurt out a link in case I missed anything... :oops:
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Using a desktop machine to compile software for old lapt Reply with quote

Mr_J_ wrote:
I am pretty sure I'll format my machine within the week due to the purchase of a new processor.
The two distros I'm currently consedering are Gentoo and Ubuntu.

Gentoo will win if I can get my newbie self a question answered... :D

Is it possible, after I have this desktop machine under Gentoo, to pre-compile a system for another machine?

I'm buying a Fujitsu B142 which is a nice little laptop. Windows is out of the question, so I've been roaming threw linux distros and what not, to get all the knowledge I need.

If it's possible to get an install inside a 4GB USB pen... I'll use Gentoo. If not I'll might just use something else...
The laptop doesn't have cd or diskette so I really need a USB based option.

I could always get a cable somewhere and try a net based install, but I rather not.

So...

Can I get a Pre-compiled tar on a 4GB USB pen drive as well as a USB pen based install?

P.S. : Just blurt out a link in case I missed anything... :oops:

If the two boxes have compatible architectures (for example, if both are pentium IV machines, or if one is a pentium IV and another one is an athlon-xp but you plan to use -march=i686) then the thing can be done in a direct way. You can install gentoo on your main box, and then just clone the installation (tar it, for example) and deploy it as-is on the other box. Just make sure you use tar -p to preserve file permisions. You can take your tar file in an usb drive or in any other place, that is totally irrelevant.

If you need more precise info on anything, just ask.
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u might as well be interested in cross compiling (using both pc-s to compile)
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: