Which kernel source?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legio Italica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Which kernel source? Reply with quote

Hi all,
i'm using ck-sources for my desktop right now and i like it, the point is that i read that CK will stop working on his patchset and i was wondering which kernel to try in the near future...
I know there's a custom-kernel overlay but judging from here the only kernel update is kamikaze (that i'm going to try probably even if i'm scared from the name :P).
Searching the forum i took into considaratio to try viper-sources but last version is 2.6.21, is the project discontinued or it will be update in the future?

Thanks
di1bert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Viper sources were being discontinued.

I've always just used good old faithful Gentoo Sources though. I never really noticed a difference
when using -ck or -viper although I didn't really extensively test them.

</0.02c>

-m
Legio Italica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah probably viper is discontinued, anyway i've installed gentoo-sources to have at least 1 stable kernel just in case the other reveals to be too unstable...
unK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck patchset + the newest genpatches for 2.6.22 works very well for me. I had a few problems with 2.6.23 (no one module built properly) so I would recommend you to stay with ck or deal with combination I use. I also think there's no point in update your kernel immediately when the newer version is released until it has something which can give you serious benefits :wink:
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently the only custom kernel patchset that is still active is kamikaze. Viper-sources are discontinued because Vipernicus died. And ck-sources are discontinued because Con Kolivas has given up kernel development. Ragnarok-sources was based on the full ck-patchset, so that is discontinued as well.

Edit: seems dark-sources has just seen a new release as well.
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: recommend gentoo-sources-2.6.23 Reply with quote

I was a big ck-sources fan as well. As 2.6.22 progressed I finally moved back to gentoo-sources, which weren't as snappy for desktop use. However, since the release of gentoo-sources-2.6.23, which uses the new CFS scheduler I feel that the desktop performance I had with ck-sources is back, and am quite happy with it (outside of https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135745).

Chris
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am interested in the new CFS that 2.6.23 offers, which is what I expect a few people are interested in. CFS has some backports available, but not sure if gentoo-sources will do the back port or just let it exist in 2.6.23 (which is fine by me).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: