Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leo.fontenelle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
# add slowusb after cdroot

Couldn't this be the answer to the "No Bootable media found. Waiting for new device." issue?
the_isz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Howto create a Gentoo 2007.0-r1 LiveUSB Reply with quote

theDuck wrote:
Many thank's Andrew. I followed your instructions and now have a Gentoo 2007.0-r1 Minimal x86 LiveUSB. :D

I have writen up my notes in the hope that others might find them useful. So here is my howto:

[...]

Then try it out! :P

Thanks for the roundup, theDuck! This helped me get a bootable pen drive from the Gentoo 2008.0_beta2 Minimal CD. I merely didn't have much success using syslinux (e.g. the config file you mention was missing), so I switched to grub, which I also find more helpful as the 2008 minimal CD already has a usable menu.lst for it.

My steps were almost the same as yours, I'll just repeat them for better readability (if someone also wants to use grub):

Remember to substitute sda with your pen drive's device file and hd1 with your drive in grub. The latter one can often be determined by trial and error. Like on my system, there is no other ext2 filesystem, so I knew I found my pen drive when grub reported such a fs. The first one should be easily found by checking dmesg's output after you insert the pen drive into an usb slot of your system.

Download iso image (I used "install-x86-minimal-2008.0_beta2.iso"). Then:

Code:

fdisk /dev/sda                                                                # partition the usbdrive
      d                                                                       # delete partitions
      np1[start][finish]                                                      # create new primary partition
      a1                                                                      # make partition bootable
      w                                                                       # write table
mke2fs /dev/sda1                                                              # make ext2 filesystem
tune2fs -c 0 /dev/sda1                                                        # prevent filesystem checks
tune2fs -i 0 /dev/sda1                                                        # prevent filesystem checks
mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom                                                           # create cdrom mount point
mount -o loop,ro -t iso9660 install-x86-minimal-2008.0_beta2.iso /mnt/cdrom   # mount iso image
mkdir -p /mnt/usb                                                             # create usbdrive mount point
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb                                                      # mount usbdrive
cp -r /mnt/cdrom/* /mnt/usb                                                   # copy iso image to usbdrive
umount /mnt/cdrom                                                             # unmount iso image
cd /boot/grub                                                                 # change into grub directory of your desktop's system
cp stage1 stage2 e2fs_stage1_5 /mnt/usb/boot/grub                             # cp the necessary stage files to the stick
umount /mnt/usb                                                               # unmount usbdrive
grub                                                                          # Start grub
      root (hd1,0)                                                            # Make your pen drive the root (lookout for ext2 fs)
      setup (hd1)                                                             # Install grub into pen's mbr
      quit                                                                    # Quit grub

Reboot, and have fun :)

Edit: corrected order of commands and added note
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_isz,

I followed your instructions and the computer boots...but only until the grub prompt. Am I missing something?
(I tried with the "install-amd64-minimal-2008.0-r1.iso" and, just in case it matters, it doesn't have a boot directory, so I had to create one inside the USB stick myself before copying the stage* files)

Regards.
the_isz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mani001 wrote:
the_isz,

I followed your instructions and the computer boots...but only until the grub prompt. Am I missing something?
(I tried with the "install-amd64-minimal-2008.0-r1.iso" and, just in case it matters, it doesn't have a boot directory, so I had to create one inside the USB stick myself before copying the stage* files)

Regards.

Hi Mani,

sorry for not having answered but I was rather busy in the past days.

Also, it has been quite a while since I wrote the respective message, but of course I'll do my best to help you. As you might have seen, I used the x86 minimal iso, while you are using the amd64 one, so that might be a good guess to try out. Otherwise, I need some more information to be able to help you. What exactly is going wrong? If I'm guessing right (I can't do more with the information given), you're presented a plain grub console, which doesn't help you much without knowing what to enter. The reason for this is that the iso file you downloaded doesn't have a grub config file (which would have been located in the boot directory that you created). Again, it might be a good idea to try the x86 minimal iso. If that one doesn't have a boot directory either, you should probably stick with the other solutions not based on grub, or you have to figure out how to create an own grub config file (or alternatively learn how to use the grub console, which is pretty much the same :) ).

I hope that helps you for now, otherwise, let me know.

Greetings
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much the_isz...and sorry for the delay :oops:
Your guess is correct: the problem is I only can see a plain grub console...and I'm not much of a grub guru :roll:
In the end I tried the original solution posted by theDuck and it worked like a charm with the amd64 minimal...so I guess we can call this a solved issue. Another job well done :D

Greetings.
the_isz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help... if I did :D
user118696
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should update the official LiveUSB documentation.

I needed to create a bootable USB key to install Gentoo on a "removable media"-less netbook and thought while reading it that FAT16 was a bit old fashionned... finally found this useful post. Thank you.
thecooptoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - i too want to try gentoo on my Aspire One.
IWhen I put the USB stick into the Aspire machine and change the boot order , the USB drive flashes several times
and i get a grub screen.

Is it possible to make an image of the install-minimal bootable pendrive that works for someone available ( Id host it )
microtechno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks heaps the_isz
I have been trying to get gentoo on my eee pc 1000 for a while. Followed a few diffrent installs and nothing worked. You have done the trick.
microtechno
AMD X2 6000+
3GB DDR 667
Gigabyte ATI Radeon 2900XT
Dual Boot Vista/Gentoo (Gnome)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: