Thunderbird to XP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaleNixon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Thunderbird to XP Reply with quote

My system's cpu is currently a 1.3GHz Athlon Thunderbird. I use the following CFLAGS:

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe"

A friend is about to sell me his old Athlon XP 1900. Will my packages compiled with the above CFLAGS run on this new processor? From what I've read, the -march flag breaks compatibility with /older/ cpu's, not newer ones.

The reason I'm asking is because I have about a week before I get the new processor, and I'm debating doing an emerge -e world with my CFLAGS set to "-mcpu=athlon-xp -03 -pipe". Anyone have any insight into this matter?
spirinaites
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1GHz Athlon Thunderbird compiled with CFLAGS="-march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer", just moved my hard drive to a Athlon XP 1900+, no changes made and everything is working.
DaleNixon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks!
gearheadsmp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: possibly Reply with quote

Using -03 breaks compatibility with other CPU's (ie trying to copy binaries from a P3 to a AthlonMP). The switch from a Tbird to a 1900+, with the 1900+ being a Palamino (or at least that's the kind of 1900+ NewEgg has in stock) won't affect you, because you (theoretically) won't be removing any of the flags the Tbird optimizations had. In hindsight, the XP/MP line support SSE, so you'll prolly want to remerge glibc and some of your math-oriented apps for that. As to what CFLAGS to use, I use the following which I copied off the great CFFlags Central thread:
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse,387"

I use this with my Barton 2500+.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: