View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Gnome2 wrapper. No flames this time please Reply with quote

okay,
Due to the trolls on the forum I've abandoned the Gnome 2 beautification Guide and FAQ thread, and will not follow that anymore.

I've got better things to do than to read long inflamatory posts about peoples opinions.

if there are more Gnome 2 questions, and discussion, please follow up here.

General note: dont forget to unmask after you have rsync'ed

FAQ. and guide: http://gentoo.org/~spider/
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome2 wrapper. No flames this time please Reply with quote

Spider wrote:
okay,
Due to the trolls on the forum I've abandoned the Gnome 2 beautification Guide and FAQ thread, and will not follow that anymore.

I was planning to read that thread tonight from start to finish, good thing you've warned me about it.

Don't take too hard, let the trolls be trolls and keep up the good job 8)
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome2 wrapper. No flames this time please Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:

I was planning to read that thread tonight from start to finish, good thing you've warned me about it.

Actually, the thread is quite good until the last four posts where it comes to opioninbashing, why this sucks and why its a lost cause.

I just have a problem with trolls.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome2 wrapper. No flames this time please Reply with quote

Spider wrote:
Actually, the thread is quite good until the last four posts where it comes to opioninbashing, why this sucks and why its a lost cause.

Oh, thanks for the info, well on to the reading :)

Spider wrote:
I just have a problem with trolls.

So, lets stop feeding them :twisted:
wohlford
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Gnome Still Broken Reply with quote

For some reason, my Gnomes are broken. I had already made a rule for myself not to install any heavy betas on this particular system. I have VMware for that. Alas, I did, and both my Gnomes are quite broken. I'd love some help fixing them.

First, I unmaked the Gnome2 stuff and emerged. Logged out of KDE and tried to go into Gnome2. No success. Seg faults abound. Went back in to KDE. Emerged rsync again and unmerge all listed packages in gnome2 mask. Emeged gnome back and still Gnome 1.4 dosen't work. Still get a lot of segfaults. It goes pretty fast so its difficult to document. Something with the end of '-panel' crashes. Then several other thing go down. Finally it seems Nautilus comes up without and leave just Home and Trash on the desktop. I open either and it seems no window manager is running.

I'm really quite surprised I'm having so much difficulty with this Gnome2 install. Everything about Gentoo has been extremlly solid and beautifully brilliant. I'd like to go back down to 1.4 until Gentoo decides Gnome2 is default. Any help will be appreciated.

Jason
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome Still Broken Reply with quote

wohlford wrote:
I'm really quite surprised I'm having so much difficulty with this Gnome2 install. Everything about Gentoo has been extremlly solid and beautifully brilliant. I'd like to go back down to 1.4 until Gentoo decides Gnome2 is default. Any help will be appreciated.

OUCH!
this is quite bad, seems that something on your system is quite unhealthy. I do hope it worked long enough to launch bug-buddy so you could get some backtraces? I know I'd need both that and other things to nail something like this down. And I also hope you filed one or five bugs to http://bugzilla.gnome.org (bug-buddy is your friend here too)

in order to remove Gnome2 from your system, just look inside the package.mask for the section about Gnome 2 and remove the packages listed there, then emerge gnome (with theese masked) to get a basic gnome install.

you may want to use emerge -e gnome to make sure everything is actually rebuilt properly, as it seems your environment has some deep-going unstability about it.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: gnome-system-monitor Reply with quote

Hello, im in the process of emerging gnome2, When It gets to gnome-system-monitor the ebuild dies, because scrollkeeper isnt installed yet(not very obvious). Is it possible to change the dependecies so scrollkeeper gets built first?

I manually installed scrollkeeper, now, to continue :-)
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: gnome-system-monitor Reply with quote

sa wrote:
because scrollkeeper isnt installed yet(not very obvious). Is it possible to change the dependecies so scrollkeeper gets built first?

Will fix!
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Nautilus translucent selector: Reply with quote

maverick
http://www.golemroxx.nl/nautilusbug.png

this is a bug and should be filed in http://bugzilla.gnome.org I'm not able to help you with this bug.
Cooldy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: How do I change from Metacity to Sawfish Reply with quote

I just emerged Gnome-2_rc2 and it sets up Metacity as the default window manger. I don't like Metacity very well, so I would like to changes it to sawfish. How can I go upon doing this.
I already emerged the newest sawfish, if you wanted to know.
Thankyou for taking the time to read my post.
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: How do I change from Metacity to Sawfish Reply with quote

Sure, this is quite a simple task of opening "preferences" and "session manager"
after that you select metacity, kill it, launch sawfish, and then marks that as "respawn" in the session manager.

after this you have to apply your settings, and you're go with a new WM : )

if anyone has a simpler way to do this, or better instructions, tell me ;)

Cooldy wrote:
I just emerged Gnome-2_rc2 and it sets up Metacity as the default window manger. I don't like Metacity very well, so I would like to changes it to sawfish. How can I go upon doing this.
I already emerged the newest sawfish, if you wanted to know.
Thankyou for taking the time to read my post.

neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome2 wrapper. No flames this time please Reply with quote

Spider wrote:
okay,

we have gnome and trolls now? sounds like we need a linux build of NWN so we can get some troll hunting going ;)
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished emerging gnome2 with gcc3, its NICE! I have one question...
how is the best way to get the gnome-audio files for gnome2? or is there such a thing?
wohlford
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome Still Broken Reply with quote

Spider wrote:
wohlford wrote:

OUCH!
this is quite bad, seems that something on your system is quite unhealthy. I do hope it worked long enough to launch bug-buddy so you could get some backtraces? I know I'd need both that and other things to nail something like this down. And I also hope you filed one or five bugs to http://bugzilla.gnome.org (bug-buddy is your friend here too)

Well, I unemeged Nautilus and that seemed allow me to get to the Gnome menus to open a terminal. I was also able to open the Gnome preferences and change window managers to twm(ugg). That allowed me to do things with windows. I then unmerged sawfish, re-emerged it and deleted the .sawfish directory in my home. I then tried messing with buy-buddy, but couldn't quite figure out how to use it with any sort of purpose. I'll be more than happy to help in reporting bugs, but need some detailed instruction on how to do so.

Spider wrote:
in order to remove Gnome2 from your system, just look inside the package.mask for the section about Gnome 2 and remove the packages listed there, then emerge gnome (with theese masked) to get a basic gnome install.

I did that before I posted.

Spider wrote:
you may want to use emerge -e gnome to make sure everything is actually rebuilt properly, as it seems your environment has some deep-going unstability about it.

What does emerge -e gnome do exactly. More to the point, can I do an emerge -e world to rebuild my whole box?
Cooldy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:35 am    Post subject: Make Gnome foot bigger(i.e. global main menu) Reply with quote

Ah, much better no more metacity crap, back to good old sawfish. No if I could only make the little Gnome foot bigger. Do you knwo how to do this?
Thank you very much for helping get rid of metacity.

Ok, I figured that out to I just had to left click the icon instead of right clicking it, then I went to panel->Properties and I changed the panel size to Large.
It looks much better now, seeing that I am running @1600x1200.

Playing around with Gnome is a lot of fun, if I find any bugs, I'll send them to bugzilla.
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing all of the great things about Gnome and seeing the spectacular desktops, I was very interested in installing it even though I'm more of a blackbox (yeah, not even flux :)) person. however, I've been unable to get it to install. It seems to die whenever it tries to compile the applets. Any advice? Things I should post?
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome2 wrapper. No flames this time please Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
we have gnome and trolls now? sounds like we need a linux build of NWN so we can get some troll hunting going ;)

Hopefully it won't be out before Gnome 2 is final, or I wont have time to oversee the release ; )
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Gnome-audio Reply with quote

sa wrote:
how is the best way to get the gnome-audio files for gnome2? or is there such a thing?

I'm not sure here, I haven't seen any tarballs on the Gnome ftp/release notes, nor otherways, and I'm generally against sound in windowing environments as they prove distracting at best.

but again, there might be some somewhere....
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome Still Broken Reply with quote

wohlford wrote:
Well, I unemeged Nautilus and that seemed allow me to get to the Gnome menus to open a terminal. I was also able to open the Gnome preferences and change window managers to twm(ugg). That allowed me to do things with windows. I then unmerged sawfish, re-emerged it and deleted the .sawfish directory in my home. I then tried messing with buy-buddy, but couldn't quite figure out how to use it with any sort of purpose. I'll be more than happy to help in reporting bugs, but need some detailed instruction on how to do so.

Bug buddy is a simplified Gnome bug reporting tool.
when an application crashes bug-buddy will intercept it and generate a backtrace, telling the developers where the program crashed and what it was doing wrong, hopefully enough to solve the issue.

When using it to simply report bugs, select "debug: nothing" and press "forward"

select what "product" it is that you want to file a bug against. (nautilus for example). press "forward"

select what sub-part(component) it is. preference menu. installation, help, documentation, this will vary from product to product.
also type in a version (unknown works in worst case)

Check that its not in the list of most common bugs

type a summary and a description of the bug.
"nautilus doesn't display icons of foo.bar files correctly"

"
check "use sendmail directly" and fill in your emailaddress, then press "forward" and your report is sent.

Quote:

What does emerge -e gnome do exactly. More to the point, can I do an emerge -e world to rebuild my whole box?

emerge -e will pretend that the system is empty, It doesn't work perfectly as it will use the most up-to-date packages avaiable instead of the ones you have currently installed.

and emerge -e world should be enough to rebuild all packages you have installed.
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: bugreports in bugzilla Reply with quote

billatq wrote:
After hearing all of the great things about Gnome and seeing the spectacular desktops, I was very interested in installing it even though I'm more of a blackbox (yeah, not even flux :)) person. however, I've been unable to get it to install. It seems to die whenever it tries to compile the applets. Any advice? Things I should post?

yes, post the complete log from the "emerge gnome-applets" assuming its there that it breaks, add this in a bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org and assign it to spider@gentoo.org

and its nice to see that there are others who are BlackBox people here :)
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider, that's really unfortunate. I had something else to say, but I'm sure it'd incite the ire of many a KDE fan. ;)

I, for one, was grateful for the link, and although there are always going to be people unhappy with some ideas, I think that on the whole it was a good thing to provide it. Don't think for a moment that your work on gnome (ebuilds and otherwise) is not appreciated.

Why shouldn't I let nautilus draw the desktop? I know that doing that will hurt performance a bit, but it looks very pretty that way...
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well.. still fails to build. I submitted the bug report. I may just do a fresh install later on to play with it some more.
chuzwuzza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Nautilus in GNOME 2... Reply with quote

I've just installed gnome2 after previously having gnome 1.4 installed and have run into a problem with nautilus.

It seems I have the bug listed here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75635

Nautilus won't use the tree sidepanel view (which is basically the only reason I use graphical file managers. General viewing and manipulation of files I'll do in the console). It brings up the message saying the tree view failed to start but nautilus itself keeps working fine. According to the comments at the bug report, it is due to having an old version of nautilus installed at compile time or something. I did have all of gnome 1.4 installed (including nautilus) before I emerged gnome 2. Will it be enough to unmerge nautilus, and then emerge it again? Has anyone else had this problem?

---EDIT---
Hmm, it seems it's not just the tree sidepanel, it's all - the notes and history too. It's just because I only had the tree panel displayed before that I only got the tree error message
------------

Last edited by chuzwuzza on Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a complete gnome2 update, the last betas were about 10 days old. Everything compiled fine after I removed gnome-core and re-emerged gnome-terminal and gnome-session.

However there are some minor quirks that I haven't figured out.

1. Nautilus is not displaying all icons. Have a look at
this. Is there a workaround or are the icons not created yet?

2. In the GDM configurator I can change the themes for login but these don't take effect. I'm still getting the sunflower no matter what I choose. After changing the theme for the x-th time GDM crashed. This happened befor but I cannot reproduce this exactly and I don't get any serious backtrace, so I wait before filing this as a bug.

3. I cannot change the themes in Desktop-Preferences. I have Crux, Metal, Thinice but the themes won't change. Diid I forget to emerge/compile anything?

4. gedit isn't using any ISO-8559-15 compliant fonts. I am not able to use the €uro-Symbol for example. But it seems to be aware of the locale settings, because it appears in the language of the locale setting. The translation however seems to be incomplete - about 30% of all menu entries are still ing english.

5. If you change the default application for certain file types and use non - default-apps yo have to log off and re-logon before the changes take effect!

6. If you use xine for *.mov and *.qt file extensions and add the -p flag gnome2 is crashing and returns to the gdm logon screen.
Cooldy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: You need Metacity-setup Reply with quote

To change the theme for Metacity to somthing besides crux, you need to emerge metacity-setup
and then you should be able to change the theme to something besides crux.
:D
To get the tree sidepanel in Nautilus
go to Edit->Preferences->Sidebar Panels and check the box that says "Display Tree tab in sidebar"
Although you probabbly already know that.
Stop reading, get back to computing, computators.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: