[network] MAC spoofing with NetworkManager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: [network] MAC spoofing with NetworkManager Reply with quote

Hi,
as a preparation before moving to a new environment with many networks of different types (vpn, wlan, lan etc.) I decided to install NetworkManager. I believe it is a good program to satisfy my upcoming needs of easy and fast switching between different networks. The problem is, here where I have network now I need to spoof my MAC address (had a different computer before, now I have a new and need to spoof the old one, can't just contact my ISP, because when I move out the old one will be used again etc etc.). Well, NetworkManager has no easy interface or option to do the job.
I installed NetworkManager according to http://gentoo-wiki.com/NetworkManager. Now, I will explain how I managed to get it working.
Prerequisites:
    Installed:
      NetworkManager (installed as explained in the link above)
      iproute2/net-tools
    Hardware:
      ethernet card supporting mac changing
If you had mac changing configured before installing you probably used
Code:
mac_ethX="AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF"
But the tutorial above told you to deactivate net.ethX. But it also explained that the net service itself is nothing wrong, only two different dhcp clients are bad. The obvious conclusion is, you can activate net.ethX unless it doesn't do anything useful. Well, again not quite right.
How does MAC changing work? I dunno, I only know that MAC has to be changed once per card-activation. After the card it activated it can change modes/addresses etc. but none of this will affect the MAC. Now, what does NetworkManager do? It assigns modes and addresses to our card (activating it only if necessary). That is, if NetworkManager gets the card already activated it should not bother it. You know where I'm heading? Yes, you need to activate the card with /etc/init.d/net.ethX to change the MAC. Nothing NetworkManager will do is able to affect the initial change. Now, how should we set up a card without firing up a dhcp client? Obvious, we assign it a static ip. Which one? Doesn't matter, because this setting will be overwritten by NetworkManager once it gets some useful IP. My config looks like:
Code:
adam@awi-laptop ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/net
# This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
# scripts in /etc/init.d.  To create a more complete configuration,
# please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
# in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
config_eth0=( "noop" "127.0.0.1" )
modules_eth0=( "iproute2" )
mac_eth0="AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF"
adam@awi-laptop ~ $ sudo rc-update -s | grep -i net
      NetworkManager |      default                 
               local |      default nonetwork       
            net.eth0 | boot                         
              net.lo | boot
Now, that's it. This works for me.

Hope it was useful to anyone.
LiveLarger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't easier to just use ifconfig?

Something like ifconfig interface hw/class adress ??
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiveLarger wrote:
isn't easier to just use ifconfig?

Something like ifconfig interface hw/class adress ??
Well, it surely would if there were a place to put this command, but where would you put this? Into which configuration file? Well, there is none. /etc/conf.d/local.start is the only file where you can freely start cmd's, but it's executed *after* NetworkManager starts dhcpclient. And that is just too late.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: