View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No single distribution can be all things to all people. I expected people to bad mouth Gentoo, it happens with every product no matter how good it is.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to write an ebuild? How much effort is it to upload/distribute it? There ya go - the package management is so easy almost any user can contribute, this is why Gentoo has such an huge number of packages. That, IMHO, is why Portage is one of the best package managers.

Brad
mta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm holding out for 128-Bit CPUs, my techie buddy tells me they are "just around the corner".. he's 1337 because he reads /."

LOL classic
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore /.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

z28James wrote:
:/

I tried and successfully installed about every distro under the sun, including rh, mandrake, slackware and debian and gentoo was the distro that I liked.

Now theres people saying I have "too much time on my hands" or im "stupid".

Seriously hows someone who posts trash talk about an OPERATING SYSTEM on SLASHDOT going to go and say people have too much time on their hands? Little ironic if you ask me ;)

that's what i did. Then i got to FreeBSD and was like "omg i luv u!!!!!!!!!xoxoxox". Later i wished it got updates sooner and spported accelerated graphics and smbfs so i found a bsd like linux. and an now like "omg i luv u!!!!!!!!!xoxoxox".
revil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
Here is a quote from some ASS on slashdot from a few days ago:

You kidding me? Whenever a gentoo topic pops up, some moron posts that. it's almost as annoying as the soviet russia joke.
strange_man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they keep knocking it, it must still be a success! :D
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
Ignore /.

:lol: Spot on!

[rant]
As for "my distro is better than your distro" - all I can say is bollocks. I hate these people who can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that it's all about personal choice. I chose Gentoo after trying (several) other distros as it fits my needs better than all of the others do (space for example is a prime requisite on a laptop). If they want to go and install any of the 'complete' (as I've seen them described on another forum) distro's and waste space / not have a complete clue about what's on their system then fine by me... JUST LEAVE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!!!
[/rant]
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celtis wrote:
AutoBot wrote:
Ignore /.

:lol: Spot on!

[rant]
As for "my distro is better than your distro" - all I can say is bollocks. I hate these people who can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that it's all about personal choice. I chose Gentoo after trying (several) other distros as it fits my needs better than all of the others do (space for example is a prime requisite on a laptop). If they want to go and install any of the 'complete' (as I've seen them described on another forum) distro's and waste space / not have a complete clue about what's on their system then fine by me... JUST LEAVE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!!!
[/rant]

damn right, reason i chose gentoo, ive only got a 14gb hdd on my laptop i need to save as much space as i can for stuff like oggs ;)
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People running down something are most likely just jealous of it. That's a fact proven by real life experience.
caiuschen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Just my 2 cents Reply with quote

I tried RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE before delving into Gentoo. Portage is awesome, but the best part of Gentoo is definitely the community.
skyfolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every distro is the same, as long as it is Linux!

It is normal to see people criticise Gentoo, Cause, for examples, A Red Hat Advocate would dislike Mandrake. A Debian would not like Redhat. Windows Advocate would dislike Linux, FreeBSD would dislike Linux.

Sometimes criticism is a way to let us know what others think of us and perhaps could improve what we are.

I myself dislike Buggy Mandrake.
A smile of joy since I was born.
emily bronte
ghotirsd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just my 2 cents Reply with quote

caiuschen wrote:
I tried RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE before delving into Gentoo. Portage is awesome, but the best part of Gentoo is definitely the community.

Amen to that.
A hearty "Me, too!" Though I'd gone from RH, Slack, OpenLinux 1.0, Suse (all back in the early-mid 90s), Mandrake, Sorcerer/Lunar, FreeBSD to Gentoo.
FreeBSD just didn't have current enough software (i really got tired of having to do everything in Linux emulation mode - if I want emulation, I'll emerge the Vic20 emulator-relive my computing roots), not enough hardware support and borked ports.
cult hero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As annoying as the Soviet Russia joke!? How can anyone ever get sick of that!? That's my reason for even reading Slashdot.

It's more in line with the evil that is "BSD is dying."
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: re: slashdot posting Reply with quote

mrjohnston wrote:
Its like the Limp Bisquit thing where everyone really loves it then starts turning on them.
Uh, I'd rather not see Gentoo compared to Limp Bisquit. Thank you (trying not to hold onto that thought).
SLH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Idea for an enraging t-shirt:

"Gentoo Linux: We're not advocates, we're just smarter than you." :twisted:

ALL ABOARD! First stop, Uranus!
shash
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Dante quote is spot on! :D

Why should we waste time arguing which distro is "best"? I use one because I love it - use your own! :roll:
jingo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shash wrote:
Why should we waste time arguing which distro is "best"? I use one because I love it - use your own! :roll:

Exactly!! good point!

I vote for this comment!
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
Just saw this on /.:
Quote:

A faster broadband connection is only helpful for binary packages. Gentoo takes 99% of its time compiling Gnome. Gentoo is just a system for stupid people with too much time on their hands. The only achievement of that distribution is that it makes installing Linux a difficult, time-consuming, and error-prone process that gives you bragging rights.

Yes, I did install Gentoo. Twice. I deleted it both times after figuring out that it would take another 5 hours to recompile gnome/mozilla/konqueror/insert-app-name-here because the package was some buggy pre-release alpha version.

Finally, they can't even get portage right -- it is one of the most unintuitive systems ever created. Why not make it more interactive and customizable? It's about as painful to change the options for building an app as it is with a source RPM. Unless you invest hours in reading crappy documentation and hacking portage scripts, you get all the disadvantages of using RPMs (lack of configurability) combined with the disadvantages of compiling from source (time waste).

What the hell is wrong with just using a normal distribution like Mandrake or Debian, people? Does gedit really need all the optimization it can get from compiling it for a P4 with SSE2 extensions enabled? What if you decide to upgrade to an Athlon?

Its funny just looking at it :)

Indeed! It says it's not customizable... I have been using linux distributions since 1998 and must say that Gentoo is the most customizable and 'bug-free'. It doesn't mean that it hasn't bugs, just that those bugs are solved in matter of days, while in other distros, these bugs sometimes are never solved until the next version of the distro. It perhaps depends on why you use linux, well, I'm a programmer among other computer-related things (like software disigner and blah blah blah 5-year degree) and must say that the simple fact to see that things go compiled and configured just calms me down... there are no unexpected errors... let's put as example the well-known RedHat KDE menu bug, the euro-key in console for Debian & slackware, the small-package-providing of other distros as archlinux (no, it does not cover my needs as programmer... I do need testing tools). And the best of all is that because of the fact that everything that gets into my system is compiled first, it assures that if I get a tarball that is not in gentoo (everyday harder to find one ;)) or to compile my programs _it_just_WORKS_ ... While in distros like Debia, Slackware, RedHat, Archlinux, ... (won't say mandrake... that would be like admiting I like windoze) I always fall into a dependency failure, unsupported versions from here and there and that's what desperates me in other distros that does not in Gentoo.

I also would like to say that there are people in http://www.etse.urv.es (that's the politecnic/engineering school) that plan to precompile almost every gentoo source and bring it binary... a hard project, but eager to achieve it :)
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My distro can beat up your distro." :roll:
mu-sly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Gentoo rocks!! Reply with quote

gentooJunkie wrote:
If Gentoo wasn't, in their minds, either a serious compeditor or a real threat to their userbase, they wouldn't have any motivation to startup this distro war. This Gentoo flaming is only proof that Gentoo has really made its mark.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they attack you, then you win." (Gandhi)

If Gentoo weren't so awesome, the people flaming it would just ignore it. If they want to flame it, then so be it. Ultimately, it's only their loss.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: