Running Java Applets
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Running Java Applets Reply with quote

Ok, I finally found a Java IDE that I like (i'm more into the GUI IDEs, than the CLI IDEs, so I'm using netbeans), and i can create and compile java applets, what i'm working on in school, no problem. however, when i try to run them, whether in the IDE, or using Firebird, it loads, but then dies. I assume it means I'm missing a JRE somewhere, but i did emerge the blackdown-JRE, and blackdown-JDK, so I think i should be ok, except it doesn't work.

in netbeans, i get an I/O error, something about it not being able to read, and it kills the applet. i really have no idea where to go with this, but i'd like to get it working, anyway i can. i know i will be reinstalling gentoo again soon, within a few weeks i think, just because i have done a few random stupid things, so any solution will suffice, for now at least.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a Java policy issue. I've not worked out how to make this work properly, so I have just turned off the security manager whenever I've needed to run something from the local disk. In Konqueror, you do this via the Settings->Java & Javascript dialog. I've no idea how to do it in netbeans.

If that doesn't help, try searching on Google with the exact error message, and if that fails, post the error message here.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it with the appletviewer ?
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't believe so, but i don't know what the appletviewer is. i've been going through netbeans playing with it, haven't read the instructions yet :p. so far i've gotten pretty far, i think.

also, i'm using MozillaFirebird, I'll try to change the permissions.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appletviewer is a little tool in the JDK to test applets without a real browser, so see if your problem is in the applet or with the browser. Try
Code:
appletviewer <your-html-file>
to check it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: