Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
cannot log in as root after emerge system then world!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: cannot log in as root after emerge system then world! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Something has really gone wrong since I emerge system/world my server this morning. I cannot log in now as root. I don't know if this is something to do with SELinux but I didn't have this kind of behaviour before.

I get a messaged that I hav exceeded three attempts to log in. (I am sure that I did type the right password). If I try an log in as a non-existent user I get the message
"login unable to obtain sid for xxxxx"
"Would you like to enter a security context?[y]"

I can still access the web server and jabber seems to be running ok.

HELP! Wassup?
mxc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok in grub i selected the option to edit the command line and then added single to the kernel options and booted the machine.

I could get in as root with the old password. To be safe I changed the root password while in single user mode. I then rebooted and I still can't log in as root. This must be some feature of selinux that got enabled with the lasted emerge system. I will have to do some research on selinx. Any poitners?

Maybe this post should be moved to the security forum?

thanks
Mark
mxc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the system back up. Here is what I had to do. Maybe it will help someone

0) Booted up in single user mode
1) I unemerged the selinux kernel
2) I unemerged the selinux policy files (do a emerge -s selinux for its proper labe;)
3) rebuilt the kernel using gentoo source and copied to the boot dir
3) If I rebooted like this then I just got a lot of errors around agetty respanwing. I could see that devfsd was not loading at boot time.
4) I cehcked that the proper options where enabled in the kernel as per the installation guide for devfs, automatic boot etc.
5) After some investigation I re-emegerd ncurses and devfsd. (This had no effect.)
6) Finally found the problem. under /etc/devfs.d there was a file called selinuix-small. I deleted it and now everything works fine.
:wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: