View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be possible to just install their gnome2-ified version of OOo? I'm not a Gnome user myself, but damn, if I can get rid of that complete POS that is OOo's horrible and slow-as-hell UI I'd be super happy.
spikkle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: USE= ximian? Reply with quote

link wrote:
Quote:

I've looked over some of the patches, and they don't look to devastating. Maybe a better angle for this project to take would be to work on applying the patches into Gentoo GNOME proper. It'd be interesting to see how these patches compare to the latest versions (gaim for example).

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a n00b, after all) but since Gentoo is a meta-distro, wouldn't the simplest way to accomplish this be to have a "ximian" USE flag? So if the flag was turned on then the traditional gnome sources would be downloaded, ximian patches applied, then compiled and installed as usual? Without it the user would just get "Vanilla gnome?"

Personally, I'm very excited about what Ximian is doing with gnome. I was particularly impressed with the updated print dialogs and cups integration as per the screenshots on OSnews. You guys, too, are doing a great job, and if there is anything I can do to help out, feel free to post. :)

It's like what forms at the corners of your mouth while you sleep, only softer, wetter, and with more substance.
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are we going to keep track of what packages are "done" wrt successfully modifying the ebuilds to (optionally) apply Ximian's patches?

If done in this forum thread, it could get nasty quickly. Can anyone host a (semi-private) repository of some sort for us to coordinate the patching progress on?
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik, there's a component in breakmygentoo.org's bugzilla. Use that for submitting ebuilds you've done. We can also host what's done on their ebuild site, as Matt has taken an interest in this project. I agree that pasting ebuilds into the forum would get really messy really fast.

spikkle, we've talked about using a ximian USE flag, and that would be the most logical approach in my mind.

intergalacticwalrus, i would love to get ebuilds of ximian's OOo. but one thing i've noticed (i've got a copy of XD2 running here). OOo "Ximian Edition" is based on OOo 1.0.3. And in all honesty, OOo 1.1 is by far better than even the Ximian 1.0.3 patched beyond all hell edition. What may be a nice thing to try applying to the 1.1 branch would be the patch that changed all OOo's icons to GNOME ones. But other than that, I like 1.1 way better.
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working on gtk+-2.2.1; should we also use the bugzilla to mark that we're working on something (to avoid work duplication) by creating a bug for the package (assuming someone else isn't already working on it) and assigning it to ourselves (if the bugzilla is set up to allow this, that is).
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik.swanson wrote:
I'm currently working on gtk+-2.2.1; should we also use the bugzilla to mark that we're working on something (to avoid work duplication) by creating a bug for the package (assuming someone else isn't already working on it) and assigning it to ourselves (if the bugzilla is set up to allow this, that is).

Sure. that works. I'm going to be in off and on this week. Got finals to deal with.

That bug per ebuild idea works fine. So anyone interested in packaging, check breakmygentoo's ebuilds before you start hacking one. :) Here we go guys.
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I just noticed when I was about to file the bug for GTK2 (in possibly the wrong place): Should we file the stuff under Gnome: XD2 or New Ebuilds: Unstable?
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please file ALL bugs under XD2...

Good luck and enjoy!
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the deal with the Afga fonts is? Those a nice looking fonts, but they don't seem to be available in the downloadable packages. I'm afraid Ximian's gone and done some "value adding" to their purchaseable edition of XD2.

One other thing I thought of. Anyone that idles on IRC can join #g-xd2 on irc.freenode.net. I personally find IRC an easier place to do business than forums.
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link wrote:
Erik, there's a component in breakmygentoo.org's bugzilla. Use that for submitting ebuilds you've done. We can also host what's done on their ebuild site, as Matt has taken an interest in this project. I agree that pasting ebuilds into the forum would get really messy really fast.

spikkle, we've talked about using a ximian USE flag, and that would be the most logical approach in my mind.

intergalacticwalrus, i would love to get ebuilds of ximian's OOo. but one thing i've noticed (i've got a copy of XD2 running here). OOo "Ximian Edition" is based on OOo 1.0.3. And in all honesty, OOo 1.1 is by far better than even the Ximian 1.0.3 patched beyond all hell edition. What may be a nice thing to try applying to the 1.1 branch would be the patch that changed all OOo's icons to GNOME ones. But other than that, I like 1.1 way better.

Yeah I like the 1.1 betas of OOo too, but I was hoping Ximian's version would be less, you know, big and slow, since they use a tried, tested and true widget set, but then again now that I think about it, how much of a change would a different widget set bring to OOo?
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What widget set does it use? It looks exactly like OOo 1.0 vanilla with GNOME stock icons. and it runs a bit faster. But still slower than 1.1beta
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that OOo uses the athena widget set, at least 1.0.x
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read through many of the replys to this, and it appears to be a daunting task. Not only would you need to keep up with Red Carpet's updates, you'd also need to keep up with others. This is a huge project, will you be takling this on your own?

Not to sound negetive, if you're going to do it, do it. However, wouldnt it be more worth while to modify Gentoo's Gnome 2 system and make it something unique? All the ebuilds are there, coordinating with the maintainers and adding your own patches, mods, images, default themes etc. would create something Gentoo users could be proud of.

I'm no expert on Gnome 2 (IMHO it's usability is highly unusable) but a Gentoo Gnome could be more of an asset than putting Ximian on my machine.

Please, no flames, it's just an idea. :twisted:
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'd all rather just see the patches. They'll probably make it in for gnome 2.6, but it would be nice to have 2.3-2.4 patched with the ximian patches. As for those who have said OO runs slower....Where are you running Ximian OO? If you have it running in Gentoo, please do tell what all this entails. If not, then how much would be involved in getting it into Gentoo? Right now, I'd be very happy with just the Ximian OO part, unless it is truly slower than 1.1beta2, at which point I'll stick with 1.1beta2.

Karl
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul138 wrote:

I'm no expert on Gnome 2 (IMHO it's usability is highly unusable) but a Gentoo Gnome could be more of an asset than putting Ximian on my machine.

Please, no flames, it's just an idea. :twisted:

What we're working on (or at least what I'm working on, I don't know what philosophy will govern future contributors) is to apply Ximian's improvements to Gentoo's gnome ebuilds (toggled by the "ximian" use flag).

A "Gentoo Gnome" of sorts would be a cool idea, but I don't think creating a third quasi-fork (ximian, gnome.org) would be a good thing for the Gnome community (if it even managed to happen). An improved theme/branding package of our own would be cool, though.
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the way I think we will be taking this on is by patching. All Ximian's patches are present on patches.ximian.com. And adding patches if ximian is in the USE variable. erik's been busy, and has cranked out a few ebuilds already. They're in bugzilla.breakmygentoo.org.

For up to the minute coverage of this, I suppose you could subscribe to the xd2 component. Or join the IRC channel or what not.

If this ximian use flag is going to get accepted into Gentoo proper, we have a long road ahead of us. We'll eventually have to coordinate work with foser and the Gentoo Gnome team. But that's a ways away. We need working patched ebuilds first.

karl, i'd just stick with 1.1beta. I've been let down about ximian OO. Its not as good as the 1.1 betas i've seen. maybe applying the stock icon patch or something would be cool though.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link wrote:

If this ximian use flag is going to get accepted into Gentoo proper, we have a long road ahead of us. We'll eventually have to coordinate work with foser and the Gentoo Gnome team. But that's a ways away. We need working patched ebuilds first.

My understanding from conversations with foser is that there won't be a ximian use flag in the forseeable future because many of these patches will find their way back into their respective Gnome packages upstream. The patches that don't will be evaluated by the Gentoo devs to see what they deem needed/usable and just simply added to the ebuilds. The work y'all are doing will help speed that process I'm sure, but I wouldn't count on seeing a new use flag anytime soon... :(

Having said that... Gentoo devs work in mysterious ways so who knows what will actually happen here....
sisob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ximain are working atm on porting their stuff to OO1.1 so as soon
as OO1.1 is acutally out I imagine they will updated to that. They will
also be updating to gnome 2.4 when it comes out.

The Agfa fonts are closed source...
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnome improvements won't see vanilla Gnome until 2.5. This means that the earliest the XD2 stuff would be "stable" without applying it downstream is 2.6.
XD2 itself is stable, it's just not on Gentoo (yet); this is what we're working to remedy.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is a great idea, patches will get into the new Gnome stuff asap. If anyone can explain to me what the benefit of having Ximian Desktop is, I would appreciate it. Currently, I don't see anything that much different from the patched up version of gnome we have on breakmygentoo. The print module is definitely something we should want, and it will be done officially pretty soon from what I've been able to tell. The rest of these patches are really more ui based patches and those will hopefully make it in for 2.4. After all, cosmetic changes are 50% of what happens after feature freeze.

I'm all for having ximian desktop ebuilds, but we need to make sure those are suffixed with patch levels. Here are some reasons:

1) These will probably not ever go upstream to portage proper as all the patches will eventually be merged into gnome proper.

2) For proof of #1, read the story about Breakmygentoo.net on the GWN. The main reason for starting Breakmygentoo is that it's very hard to get unstable or unsupported (see Copyright issues with Ximian) stuff upstream to portage proper. There are many fine lines to consider with Ximian and their artwork. Just to give you an idea of how hard it is to get something in portage, my gnome-noia ebuilds from February still aren't in there. That's another story, and one that I am pleased with the answer of why they're not in portage right now.

3) With the dawn of the XD2 project, we will have three gnome versions running around with possibly three versions of the same package with different patches. Imagine the horror this is on developers trying to figure out a gtk+-2.2.2-r3 bug if portage proper, breakmygentoo gnome devel releases, and XD2GEN2 all have gtk+-2.2.2-r3 as their name. It would be nice for portage proper to do gtk+-2.2.2-r3, breakmygentoo to be gtk+-2.2.2-p1, and XD2GEN2 to do gtk+-2.2.2-p2.

These are my concerns right now with this project. I'm really glad to see all the interest in getting this stuff ported over, so I hope you'll read my words and understand where I'm coming from.

Karl

Edit: I've yet to use XD2, so don't flame me if I come off as a complete moron when talking about the differences between XD2 and gnome-2.3.3. But honestly, I haven't seen any screenshots or heard anyone say anything that was drastically different.
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common misconceptions regarding XD2GEN2:

1. XD2 is unstable.
XD2 is NOT unstable, it is in fact both stable and commercially backed by Ximian as such (when run on officially supported OS', which Gentoo is unfortunately not).

2. Ximian's improvements will appear in upstream versions quickly.
The earliest upstream GNOME version that can realistically be expected to contain Ximian's more involved improvements is 2.5 / 2.6.

3. Copyright issues prevent porting of XD2 to Gentoo.
Gnome is primarily licensed under the GPL and LGPL. The only issues have to deal with Ximian's trademark, which can be handled just like with the x11-themes/redhat-artwork package.
maxmc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link wrote:
Yea, the way I think we will be taking this on is by patching. All Ximian's patches are present on patches.ximian.com. And adding patches if ximian is in the USE variable. erik's been busy, and has cranked out a few ebuilds already. They're in bugzilla.breakmygentoo.org.

The correct adress is http://bugs.breakmygentoo.net/. :?
djf_jeff
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finish to put gentoo on my spare computer yesterday.

I will help to test ebuild and anything you need. Just need to be patient, it's a pentium 400 but it do the trick.

Just to know, where is all the action for this project, the ebuild?

Good luck
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had many problems to upgrade after using Ximan 1.4 on RedHat. But to have it as ebuild (easy to uninstall) would be cool. Nevertheless, from XD2, the only two things I like are the printer UI, and OpenOffice. But still, good luck to your project.

Jeff : you will need to be patient. If you did not read the thread, it's about a project to start porting XD2 (part of it at least) to Gentoo... come back in few weeks, months...
djf_jeff
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the whole thread and I know that it will be long. But they have start and I want to help...

They release some things at breakmygentoo.net (in bugzilla).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: