DRI, Radeon Mobility and System dying
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazarius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: DRI, Radeon Mobility and System dying Reply with quote

My system dies when I use X with DRI (both 4.3.0) with a desktop manager. Fortunately, when I multihead it, the DRI does not get enabled and thus the computer doesn't die.

What happens is I click "Exit" in Fluxbox or other similar WM and the screen goes blank, not even allowing ssh'ing in. This may be due to the fact that I have the radeonfb for the vterms (alt-F#s) as well?

Help?

Thanks. Mike
eee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: ac-sources? Reply with quote

Which radeon do you have? I've got a 9000 and could not get dri with the gentoo-sources - had to use ac-sources (Alan Cox is a god).

Have you set up agpgart in your kernel as a module? Even if you can't get get 3d acceleration, at least you'll have a functional 2d system.

Oh, and I am using the radeon frame buffer, so I don't think that's the problem.
lazarius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: gentoo-sources Reply with quote

Radeon Mobility M6 LY
Gentoo-sources
AGPGART in kernel, since as a module it won't load (saying something about init_module or something not existing)
xfree-drm-4.3.0
xfree-4.3.0

As it is, UT is playable... which is ok.

Also, on my multiheaded display, I cannot set the resolution of my CRT screen (secondary monitor), as it keeps telling me RADEON(1): Virtual height too small for (something) ... minimum (some number... 18 or 128 or something like that). Ever seen that before?

MIKE
eee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: ac-sources Reply with quote

Make sure you've selected the proper chipset for your system under 'Character devices' -> '/dev/agpgart' in the kernel config. If you haven't, the kernel won't be able to initialize the agpgart module.

If that doesn't work, give the ac-sources a try. When using gentoo-sources (or vanilla-sources), I was unable to get the agpgart module to load without the agp_try_unsupported=1 option (and the display froze when I did that).
DiD@SyN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Radeon Mobility M6 LY too. I had this white screen already with some other cards (trident etc.). With the Radeon Mobility M6 LY I had this issue only with the ati.2 XFree & Kernel Drivers from the gatos project.
try to donwload the drm-4.3.0 kernel modules from [url]dri.sourceforge.net[/url]. they should work. but agpart should be setup correctly. As eee said, use the right chipset for the agp controller. so you should get the agpgart.o running!

DiD@SyN
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: