Stupid Question: Gentoo PPC Live CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cascadefx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Stupid Question: Gentoo PPC Live CD Reply with quote

I have used Linux for a long time and I can find my way around a few distributions including Slackware... so I know that this is a dumb question, but any help would still be appreciated.

I just downloaded the latest "full featured" live CD for the Power PC (1.4_rc7). I can get the thing to boot just fine on an eMac (educational iMac). I can even get X windows to work (after using the EZ setup tool) but it defaults to a real bare window manager (twm, I think).

I have the KDE build, but I can seem to get KDE to launch. Are there any idiot proof steps out there that can walk me through this.

Thanks

PS. Does anyone know if this build has the HFS+ kernel mode driver loaded on it? I saw the announcement that HFS+ read/write support had been achieved and was hoping it was included. If so, what a great Mac rescue disk this is going to make. Idiot proof steps for mounting HFS+ out there? The man pages still listed HFS as the only format being supported... but I am crossing my fingers.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being nasty but try a search useing "start kde". You can probably do the same for that dos format your tyring to run ;) If its not on the cd you can always build it and hack your own cd., search "documintation, tips & tricks"

hielvc
cascadefx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
Not being nasty but try a search useing "start kde". You can probably do the same for that dos format your tyring to run ;) If its not on the cd you can always build it and hack your own cd., search "documintation, tips & tricks"

hielvc

Not taking it as being nasty.

I am just trying to run KDE from the CD. I am not planning on installing gentoo on these machines. As such, it doesn't seem that the "start kde" topics that I found apply. They seem to answer the question of how to install and run kde from a gentoo system that has been loaded to the hard drive.

As this is the "full featured" LiveCD, I thought that KDE would run without much of a fuss other than a config (as the networking always requires).

Is this more clear... or am I still a complete dolt?
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used this LiveCD so I can't say for sure, but try this and see what you get:
Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm start

hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry miss understood your question. I havent really looked at current cd;s and there offeriings. I do remeber reading about a knoppix style cd possibly being hacked up. I think it was in one fo the last 2 or 3 newsletters. You might try posting in the PPC forum, as those guys ar far more knowegble about your neck of the computing world and hackinmacs.

Err you know the front page of the current gentoo.org :oops:

Luck hielvc
cascadefx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
Sorry miss understood your question. I havent really looked at current cd;s and there offeriings. I do remeber reading about a knoppix style cd possibly being hacked up. I think it was in one fo the last 2 or 3 newsletters. You might try posting in the PPC forum, as those guys ar far more knowegble about your neck of the computing world and hackinmacs.

Err you know the front page of the current gentoo.org :oops:

Luck hielvc

No problem... I figured it out.

First you have to run Xeasyconf. Then create an .xinitrc file in root's home directory. Put the following in the file:
Code:
startkde

Then type:
Code:
startx

KDE comes up fine.

Last edited by cascadefx on Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all of that down fairly quickly, though I was trying to figure out how to get wireless to work right. I use a non-broadcasting ESSID, along with WEP "encryption" to make it more annoying to get in.
cascadefx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cascadefx wrote:
snip...
KDE comes up fine.

You would think that the .xinitrc file would have already been created. Unless there is an easier way, this is the only way that I could figure out to get it to work.

The problem is that it is a non-obvious solution for something that is supposed to be "KDE ready".

Oh well...
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I had to do after running Xeasyconf was go into rc.conf and:

DISPLAY MANAGER=kdm
XSESSION=KDE-3.1.2

Then "startx" would load up KDE.
cascadefx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:
All I had to do after running Xeasyconf was go into rc.conf and:

DISPLAY MANAGER=kdm
XSESSION=KDE-3.1.2

Then "startx" would load up KDE.

That looks like it would work fine too, but I would still have thought that these would have been set up by default for a "KDE ready" LiveCD. It is confusing if nothing else.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: