Using Compaq Compiler Suite to Bootstrap Gentoo/ALPHA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Using Compaq Compiler Suite to Bootstrap Gentoo/ALPHA Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of work with dev-lang/ccc and dev-lang/cxx recently, if your not familiar with them, they are the high performance c/c++ compilers that nearly always out-perform gcc on AlphaLinux.

You can read more about them here.

I have been trying to make it possible to compile your entire system from stage1 using these compilers, and today I finally bootstrapped and `emerge system`ed a 164UX using ccc/cxx on all except a few applications that dont, and probably never will, support anything except gcc. (eg: glibc, binutils)

I've written some preliminary documentation here, and theres a stage1 tarball that supports ccc/cxx installation early enough for bootstrap available there.

It's not possible to use the standard scripts, so i've made some especially for anyone who wants to try this, and at the moment only a stable installation is supported, eg

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="alpha"

but i will fix this soon, I will rewrite the installation scripts to support more installation methods, at the moment it contains a list of known supported packages.

I've had to check in some changes to the portage tree, a lot of developers hardcode gcc as the compiler, i've replaced most of these with ${CC:-gcc}.

I'm happy to tell you the system feels much faster, and a lot of things ive benchmarked just blow gcc out of the water :D. If your an Gentoo/Alpha user i would 100% reccommend you try this out!.

If anyone wants to give it a try, please try it out and let me know :)
pantherace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: KDE? Reply with quote

I have been having problems getting kde emerged on a 333 ev56, and I was wondering if this wouold work for kde? (kdegames)

I like gentoo, and use it on all the boxes I can, but aside from basic stuff, everything new is marked as unstable (and often uncompilable) on alpha, at least in my experence, which is frustraiting as it often takes a 1.5 hour delay to try and figure out why it failed. Oh for the days of kde2-betas and at least knowing where the problem was .... even if I and several other alpha users couldn't fix it for a long time. (/personal annoyance rant)

I may as well get another one of them started trying this tommarrow. Do you have any numbers on gcc vs ccc speed? (I know which one will be faster-just my last benchmark was alpha 164 vs atlons where alphas of equiv clockspeed were about 1.5 times as fast...using gcc)

Sorry if this just sounds stupid, I am going back to bed....
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE? Reply with quote

pantherace wrote:
I have been having problems getting kde emerged on a 333 ev56, and I was wondering if this wouold work for kde? (kdegames)

KDE is a little unstable on Alpha right now, i think 3.0.x is relatively stable, and some people use it as their everyday desktop. 3.1.x broke reliability on Alpha however, but there is a dev working on it.
pantherace wrote:
I like gentoo, and use it on all the boxes I can, but aside from basic stuff, everything new is marked as unstable (and often uncompilable) on alpha, at least in my experence, which is frustraiting as it often takes a 1.5 hour delay to try and figure out why it failed.

If you can emerge and run something on Alpha that isnt marked alpha or ~alpha, thats a bug. If you file a bug (make sure you select Alpha as hardware platform so the Alpha team is notified), or pop into #gentoo-alpha on irc.freenode.net, we _will_ mark it ~alpha, probably within a few minutes.
Quote:
I may as well get another one of them started trying this tommarrow. Do you have any numbers on gcc vs ccc speed? (I know which one will be faster-just my last benchmark was alpha 164 vs atlons where alphas of equiv clockspeed were about 1.5 times as fast...using gcc)

I have some artificial benchmarks using freebench, where ccc wins, but it isnt by a significant margin. however, things ive benchmarked like perl, bash, openssl, gzip all totally obliterate gcc stats. If someone wants to make some fancy html benchmark stats using these apps let me know ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: