[SOLVED?] DEBUG(n) Failed to mmap file, libstdc++ and things
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theRealMorpheu5
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: [SOLVED?] DEBUG(n) Failed to mmap file, libstdc++ and things Reply with quote

I'm really sorry for the topic line but I just couldn't figure how to briefly describe my problem. Here's the long version.

I'm running suspend2-sources-2.6.22-r2 with all the relevant scripts and the thing that crossed my way today isn't new to me, but still quite strange: for some reason, during an emerge -DuNav world, the system just calls some hibernate script - which aren't working for my laptop - and just hangs there (with the panel backlight on and the last X image still on display). So I had to press the power button for a long time and reboot the machine the rude way.

Here comes the weird part. When init came into the game it started to say something like
Code:
DEBUG(1) Failed to mmap file

invoking this file: core/misc.c at line 622. But this wasn't happening for every rc script, just for someone like apache or xdm. Sorry for the really bad reporting but it seems like I don't know where init keeps its log files.

Then I just tried to relaunch emerge -DuNav world which said "you're alright, nothing to do here" but I *knew* there was something to do there. So I resynced (please don't blacklist me :? ) and reemerged but nothing happened. Then I took a peek at the world file which was surprisingly empty! A regenworld did the trick and I was able to restart my emerge. Soon after the first package started configuring, it said that it couldn't find libstdc++ anywhere (well, it said the system wasn't able to run C++ programs, indeed) so I did a quick emerge libstc++ which rebuilt some ldconf or such (?) and everything seemed to work right. After this I rebooted my machine and init worked flawlessly.

I didn't yet relaunched my emerge because I'm still a bit scared: the last (and first) time I had hibernate scripts automagically launched there were no bad consequences.

Does anybody have an idea? Please ask if you need me to post some more informations, I really need this laptop to work for my own work.

EDIT: From the logs of hibernate it seems that no hibernate script was launched today but the behavior of the system was to shut down all the peripherals, become totally unresponsive and make the caps lock light blink.

EDIT: Oh, yes, the other reason for not restarting the emerge yet is this:
Code:
checking if scandir argument is const struct dirent * or struct dirent *... neither...
checking if scandir argument is void... configure: error: I don't know how to call scandir

Last edited by theRealMorpheu5 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
theRealMorpheu5
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up?
theRealMorpheu5
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ideas? Sorry for upping but this is scary...
theRealMorpheu5
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up. Still no ideas?
Habbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have nuked some important headers, but as to which ones... :roll:
You might try to re-emerge the following packages: libc (glibc is the most usual, but you might be using newlib or uclibc), gcc, kernel-sources (in your case, suspend2-sources) and any kernel headers package and... I'm out of ideas, sorry if this doesn't help...
EB FD   jmp $-3
theRealMorpheu5
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. After a week since the last upgrade, today eix started to emerge out of my attention. When it was already in the build phase (past the configure) I decided to follow up some log files and see what happened.

Well, nothing did. It seems that everything is working fine now... but I really don't know why.
Habbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, shutting down all peripherals, blanking the screen and making CAPS LOCK blink means that something went really wrong. It's a kernel panic either related to the video drivers or (worse option) so mindbogglingly bad that the kernel couldn't resort to print anything to the screen, so it just blinks the keyboard LEDs. I saw it for the first time when trying to set up the usplash boot splash in Ubuntu: if I didn't specify the video mode through a vga=xxx option, the video card autodetection would somehow bork the kernel so bad that it would just blink CAPS LOCK - like a sinking Titanic launching its flares :cry:
EB FD   jmp $-3
theRealMorpheu5
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad I'm quite used these days to hardware-related faults. I mean, every time I had gcc randomly stopping it always was either the mobo or the ram. I recently had my desktop killed by the mobo as well as with the previous mobo it was mounting. I'm praising every kind of god it's not happening something bad on my laptop - even though the last thing was a lightning frying its mobo... :)

Seriously, even if the video card seems to be the most probable cause - ATI x300 with ati-drivers-8.40.4 - I can't see a reason for it to be since I wasn't operating the machine - except for compiling (twice) that particular package. Duh.

Anyway, thanks :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: