Howto: Make a trully multilib system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fernan82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Howto: Make a trully multilib system Reply with quote

I removed the instructions because it will cause problems installing wine.
My goal now is to use the emul-linux libraries as much as possible but still be able to install any packages from portage that are not in the emul-linux packages in a way that once ABI_X86=32 is more stable I can switch without problems.

Last edited by fernan82 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you didn't try and install using the multilib stage 3 and set a multilib profile.

No chroot is necessary. That is only if you are running a no multilib profile or have specific need of a 32 bit specific environment.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mmogilvi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fernan82: The Doctor's strategy is definitely the simplest way to install and run 32-bit-only programs on a mostly-64-bit install, although it has some limitations, such as:

• For the most part, portage won't install 32-bit versions of programs that have fully-functional 64-bit versions available. And most programs have 64-bit versions...
  • In a stable system (ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"), most 32-bit runtime libraries are installed from pre-built binary packages called emul-linux-x86-*, instead of building from source like native gentoo.

There is currently a major "multilib" effort underway to replace emul-linux-x86-* packages with "native" library ebuilds by enabling the appropriate USE flag. It isn't yet officially supported, but the basic idea is to unmask and widely enable the USE=abi_x86_32 (or equivalently, ABI_X86=32) flag. But there are a lot of complex dependency hell issues to wade through when switching, involving things still asking for emul-linux, emul-linux turning into more of a "meta" package when abi_x86_32 is enabled, some required packages still only have the abi_x86_32 flag in unstable (~amd64) versions, a few rare libraries still haven't been converted at all, etc. But see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7509542.html?sid=c5b44664c998872c1c014477e22c3048#7509542 for more information about how to try it out on a mostly-stable system.

Although this new scheme is a whole lot better (more configurable, and automatically keeping libraries in sync with headers) than the emul-linux packages, there are still some limitations:

• It doesn't automatically figure out and limit which libraries need to enable abi_x86_32 to meet your main (world) requirements. You either need to enable it very rather widely (globally with exceptions, or use package wildcards), or manually construct a rather large list of specific packages. And the error messages from portage can be confusing to interpret if you are missing a few...
  • Won't let you have different USE flags in 32-bit vs 64-bit builds of libraries (except some ebuilds may sometimes ignore unsupported USE flags for some ABIs).
  • Typically doesn't provide both 32-bit and 64-bit builds of an executable, nor make it easy to prefer the 32-bit version when the 64-bit is possible.
fernan82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did used multilib tarball with the emul-linux packages at first but there's more than a few missing libraries and you can't just compile any library package from portage so I wouldn't call it trully multilib. I'm not trying to install 32-bit programs from portage, I need to run programs 32 bit programs for which I don't have the source code and to build 32-bit libraries from sources that are not in portage and have dependencies on libraries that are not on the emul-linux packages. That's where I spent most time trying to build the missing libraries from tarballs.

I dabbled with ABI_X86=32 but ran into problems and couldn't find much info about it so I moved on quickly. Once I tried chrooting I got everything working pretty quickly. I will look into it though for now this does just what I need without much hassle. Thanks
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting all emul-linux-* to compile (native 32 bit libs) from all packages is still a work in progress, AFAIK.
fernan82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I ran into a problem, it breaks the wine ebuild. I'm using the emul-linux packages now but with this method on the side so I can install ebuilds to fill in the gaps on the emul-linux packages.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: