View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanBUK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is mentioned a bit further up this topic but I think all USB sticks need a VFAT filesystem.

Last edited by DanBUK on Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Filo_kg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Livecd-ng init probs when booting the 'new' livecd. Reply with quote

DanBUK wrote:
(...)
I had probs when booting my cd, it couldn't mount the cloop filesystem and then cp the var etc home dirs. then Kernel panic. Anyone else had this problem?(...)

Yes I have also encountered this problem. the system starts to panic after insmod cloop wrong argument or something like that. I have tried to insert this module with the same parameter on my normal Gentoo system (as you can read in /usr/sbin/livecd-ng) insmod /path/to/your/cloop/cloop.o file=/path/to/your/image/livecd.cloop and got the same error. However in logs I have found some additional useful info:

Jun 23 21:15:24 filo cloop: Welcome to cloop v0.68
Jun 23 21:15:24 filo cloop: /mnt/hde8/tmp/gentoo-basic/livecd.cloop: 2266 blocks
, 131072 bytes/block, largest block is 131112 bytes.
Jun 23 21:15:24 filo cloop: out of memory for compressed buffer 131112

Which was quite strange because (with 256 MB of RAM) I for sure had enought free memory.

So I have changed in /usr/sbin/livecd-ng the block size of cloop from 131072 to 6553

cat ${LOOP_FILE} | ${CD_BUILDTEMP}/${CLOOP_DIR}/create_compresse
d_fs - 65536 > ${CLOOP_FILE} || chroot_die

And now I can insert the cloop without any problems. However I didn't check if it works in real cd.

I am just wondering why I had to change the block size? My cloop is about 127MB, I use kernel 2.4.18 (because of the bloody broken HPT370 driver!) and I have changed the size of initrd to -N5000.

Any clues why is it happening?
DanBUK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Livecd-ng init probs when booting the 'new' livecd. Reply with quote

Filo_kg wrote:

So I have changed in /usr/sbin/livecd-ng the block size of cloop from 131072 to 6553

cat ${LOOP_FILE} | ${CD_BUILDTEMP}/${CLOOP_DIR}/create_compresse
d_fs - 65536 > ${CLOOP_FILE} || chroot_die

And now I can insert the cloop without any problems. However I didn't check if it works in real cd.

Any clues why is it happening?

I'm not sure why its happening and the above fix was nearly correct apart from a little type "131072 to 65536". And it now works from CD boot.

I am currently building an -mpcu=i686 -o3 flagset iso. With Alsa, X, Mozilla, QT, mplayer, gabber, xchat... some more maybe, if anyone wants the iso, let me know.

edit ... whoops I should read more carefully, it does have the 6 in the code block.... lol

Last edited by DanBUK on Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

searcher wrote:
Well i got the image all working (thanks Paul, i owe you one) But still no luck from my usb-stick and config :( I'm assuming it's the usb-stick since my bios tells me it is capable from booting from usb. Tried all the options there. So my guess my stick just doesn't support it. Too bad, i'll just use it for knoppix storage then.

Maybe i'll give this a try again once school ends (in about two weeks). I have a lot of stuff to take care of right now :D

*i'm using some no name brand stick that i got for about 20 euro's, just for the record :)

I have the same motherboard and am having the same problem. The cd image I made out of the /opt/tmp/gentoo-basic/livecd.iso works, but the usb stick does not. And as an aside, I too am using a cheap 32mb stick like yourself ;) It is also supposed to be bootable (at least that is what they claim - I have never tried it).

I have noticed that no matter what USB option I choose in the bios, it is always listed as USB-FDD, and only listed when the stick is plugged into the usb port at boot.
DanBUK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: cloop segmentation fault Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have been playing with livecd-ngand I kept on getting a cloop segmentation fault on the livecd-ng cloop stage. Having done some reading on the cloop bugs db, I think this error is todo with cloop needing memory for the whole clooped image, so as I am upto about 1.2GB on the cd I therefore need 1.2GB of RAM or SWAP available. I am waiting for the current livecd-ng cloop to finish, butI think this has solved my problem. Will let you know in about 30mins when this finishes....

Anyone else been having problems with cloop?

Cheers,
Dan.

Last edited by DanBUK on Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanBUK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Well that was partially wrong Reply with quote

I did in the end solve this seg fault problem, I think. I have reverted back to the 0.63.1-4 version of cloop, as its the marked stable version. (still increased my swap to 1.3GB + 256Mb Ram for the cloop stage)
And I am currently typing this inside my new livecd. Approx 330Mb ISO image (which is 28% of original size!) . Not much been installed on...

Alsa - All drivers
X (inc nvidia drivers)
Fluxbox
Mplayer
Gimp
Mozilla
Gabber
xChat
Nessus
OpenSSH
mlDonkey(If you wanted to dl to ALL of your HDD space by booting from CD...)

And its running quite well...
Now I think the process of making them is a bit more stable, time for diff versions...
Cheers,
Dan.

Last edited by DanBUK on Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
DiS-K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff works great.
I got it working with a Dell USB drive on a Dell Optiplex GX260.

Hint: Turn on USB Emulation in the Bios if it isn't already. That'll make USB available at boot, and made my Optiplex machine able to boot of the drive.

I also tried to boot of it on a Dell Latitude C640 (portable pc), but unfortunately, it doesn't support booting of USB.
grudge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I recently got a 128 mb stick which I use for transferring files between work and home. I'm def going to try this. Just a couple of quick questions :

1) I understand that if your motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb device, then you can still create a small bootdisk which then boots the usb stick. Is this true ? and if so, how would I go to try and create something like this...

2) How easy would it be to load something like X on the stick, obviously the different screencards would be a problem (for use in dif pc's). Any way around this, like a hardware detection proggie ?

3) Same idea as 2, but for different network cards, sound cards, etc ? Would be difficult to create some or other program which runs when you startup to either detect your hardware or which will ask you for the different hardware you have.

I'm just curious .... :wink:
DanBUK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Autoconfig - Hardware Reply with quote

If your looking for hardware detection, take a look at the Knoppix cdrom, there are autoconfig scripts you can rip/modifiy quite easily.
I have put links to them in this topic:-
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=62734

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Dan.

Last edited by DanBUK on Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jspectre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: LinkSys JumpDrive 2.0? Reply with quote

I've been trying to make this work. I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if a LinkSys 2.0 (HighSpeed USB) 256M stick would work? I've got a Soyo K7VTA-B (2BA1) mobo.

I've also got a question on formatting the stick. I formatted it with fdisk, made one giant partition. Tried FAT16. Turned on the boot flag. Should it have been something else? Tried every USB boot option on my mobo (ZIP, FD, CD and HDD) but nothing seemed to work.

Thanks!
gladbach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs vfat from up in the thread.
gladbach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is dying in the build process. I dont see that I am missing anything in the tutorial.... ;/

Code:
livecd-ng gentoo-basic build
Using current working directory as LIVECD_ROOT.
>>> Extracting stage tarball...
mount: special device /root/.ccache does not exist
chroot_generate: aborting.

any ideas?
semireg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: What next after bootup? Reply with quote

I'm was born on a redhat system, so please forgive my gentoo naiveness.

I have completed all the steps listed in the thread and it boots fine. However, after I pick my keymap it says "CD not found". I have a USB 2.0 external cd-rom that I would like to be able to mount discs from. This enclosure works fine under my redhat system, is there something I'm missing? lsmod shows usb-storage, usb-uhci and usbcore loaded.

If there is another thread/resource that would be better suited to aide me, thanks for showing me the way :)

Loving gentoo, Semireg
The Sentinel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaragon wrote:
Try increasing LOOP_SIZE in /etc/livecd-ng/profiles/<your profile>/settings. You have 80000 there and that is to small.

The same problem with 'livecd-ng <profile> initrd': edit /usr/sbin/livecd-ng and increase the -N3000 to mke2fs in initrd_create.
I've been struggling to get the initrd phase of the livecd-ng script to complete.
Originally I was getting the "no space left on device" error messages when the initrd step was trying to create the device nodes.

Having adjusted:
- The LOOP_SIZE parameter in /etc/livecd-ng/profiles/gentoo-basic/settings to
- The -N parameter in the mke2fs line of /usr/sbin/livecd-ng to 20000.

I am now able to get past the creating of the device nodes, but get the following error no matter how high I increase the above-mentioned parameters to:

cp: writing `/gentoo-basic/cdroot-initrd/bin/busybox': No space left on device

The location the build is taking place has over 1.5 Gb of free space.
I've traced through the scripts and can't find any other parameters that might be casuing this error.

Any ideas?

Ta,
T.S.
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: floppy boot disk Reply with quote

Not all can boot of usb.

If we could make a boot floppy with

- usb_massstorage
- sd_mod
(2.5+ kernel modules)

and then append="root=/dev/sda1" probably via grub because it can be edited live, then all can boot from usb.

But does it fit?
smouge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gladbach wrote:
mine is dying in the build process. I dont see that I am missing anything in the tutorial.... ;/

Code:
livecd-ng gentoo-basic build
>>> Extracting stage tarball...
mount: special device /root/.ccache does not exist

any ideas?

The ccache package is missing. To resolve:

# emerge ccache
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to create a livecd with a kernel with support for the SiI3112 Sata raid controller.

I am using:

- 1.4rc4 stage 3 package
- latest ac-sources

I had to make some minor adjustments in /usr/sbin/livecd-ng such as changing the busybox executable to busybox.sh and change the initrd filesystem inodes to 5000. Apart from that, everything ran fine.

When I try to boot my created livecd, here's what I get:

[img:86c70cf395]http://www.colortechdp.com.br/pessoal/init.jpg[/img:86c70cf395]

I am sure there's support for ramdisk and initrd in the kernel.

Code:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=8192
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

It looks like the contents of initrd are not being loaded in the ramdisk. Do I have to pass any special command to do such task?

As a test, I tried using 1.4_rc4 initrd in my livecd and it will pass this point, but will kernel panic a bit later while running linuxrc with a 'tried to kill init' error.

I can mount my initrd in a loop device without a problem.

Anyone have knowledge in this?
cchee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for great tip here.... i have been looking for this since i get my hand on gentoo (recently)... Now that I follow the instruction, I ran into a problem of conflict package as show below when i ran livecd-ng gentoo-basic build:

[blocks B ] <dev-perl/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.05-r6 (from pkg dev-lang/perl-5.8.0-r12)
[ebuild U ] dev-lang/perl-5.8.0-r12 [5.8.0-r10]

I am using stage3-x86-1.4_rc4.tar.bz2 in my CD_STAGETARBALL setttings. Any idea on how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happens while trying to emerge irssi, a text based irc client. You could just open /etc/livecd-ng/profiles/gentoo-basic/stage1-packages and comment the irssi line, if you don't need one.

The true cause is because your current portage tree has a newer perl version which has some internal modules (extutils is one of them) and the version in the stage3 tarball is older and still use external modules, which is blocking the update.

Oh btw I managed to solve my initrd problem and it's almost working on my custom hardware. :D
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone with a mini-itx board set up a usb flash drive to run linux, leaving the HD in the case(the one I want only can have one HD) for video/music? I want to build a vdr and want linux to take up as little space as possible, i.e. rest on a little usb flash drive.

Is this possible? I scanned through this thread and all people are trying to do here is make a live cd. What I'm wondering is can the entire linux system be just on the usb flash drive?

For a vdr box I don't need any gui(vdr has it's own) and just have networking so I can pull video off of it onto my other computers. VDR (http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/) even has plugins for playing dvds. I also wouldn't need drivers beyond the one my coputer needs, since it will only be used on one computer.

I know this is possible with linux, but I'm getting used to emerge and want to use gentoo to do this. Wasn't there a fork in gentoo just for stuff like this?

Thanx,
Stan
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all gentoo linux friends!

First I really appreciate work on this HOWTO and found almost all replies usefull while trying to make my own test-demo-fun-good-way-to-learn-gentoo-internals livecd.

But I am having problems and hope many of you solved this and are kind enough to help.

Last step I did was ...livecd-ng gentoo-basic isogen and unmount. Burned cd and basically I got this error:

Checking root filesystem...
fsck 1.33 ...

ext2fs_check_of_mount: No such file or directory while determining weather / is mounted

* Filesystem couldn't be fixed [!!]

Give root password for maintaince and so on.

I think it is related with /etc/fstab /etc/mtab but not sure. Any solution?
PS. If this is not detailed enough please ask for more info.

Thank You,
Slobodan Sredojevic
murphynet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all.

My cd boots up fine until just after "switching to tmpfs" when it trys to remount the root filesystem with read/write.

"Root filesystem could not be mounted R/W :("

could this be a problem with my kernel?
xanthumn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wonderful howto!

However I have the same problem as murphynet ... CD boots just fine, but stops after switching to tmpfs.

USING: stage3-x86-1.4-20030806.tar.bz2

Code:

---- Switching to tmpfs root filesystem
INIT: version 2.84 booting
* Remounting root filesystem read-only (if necessary)...  [!!]
* Checking root filesystem...                             [ok]
* Root filesystem could not be mounted R/W :(             [!!]

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

I don't have a root password, so I hit enter and it droped me to a simple prompt but none of the automagic happened.

[edit] If I run mount proc -t proc /proc and then run each service in the /etc/runlevels/boot and default directories I have a usable system. I just don't know how to get around the root fs being mounted R/W... I will keep you all updated if I work this out. [/edit]

Any info/help is apreciated.

Last edited by xanthumn on Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
BurnedOutGeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following the directions and have the following error when I run livecd-ng gentoo-basic initrd:

80000+0 records in
80000+0 records out
mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#

Any ideas why? I'm getting close!

Mark
woffer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm getting an error while runing liveng-cd gentoo-fegis initrd

Code:

>>> Executing tar xzf busybox-0.60.5.tar.gz...
>>> Executing make clean...
>>> Executing make DOSTATIC=true...
3000+0 records in
3000+0 records out
mknod: `rd/c6d31p2-': No space left on device
mknod: `rd/c6d31p3-': No space left on device
mknod: `rd/c6d31p4-': No space left on device
mknod: `rd/c6d31p5-': No space left on device
mknod: `rd/c6d31p6-': No space left on device
mknod: `rd/c6d31p7-': No space left on device

and so on for another 3 bilion devices.

Anyone got an idea on this ? =)
or has the makedev command been change in the 2.6.0 kernel ? (runing 2.6.0-test4 but the iso should contain a 2.4.20 kernel)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: