Savage: a Battle with New Use flags
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesymbolicfrog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Savage: a Battle with New Use flags Reply with quote

Picture, if you will, a scenario in which there is (initially) naught but perfect bliss:
After a long (some would say epic) struggle, compiz-fusion and java are able to work together without qualms or squabbling, and compiz-fusion no longer freezes the system upon exit. As a reward for this feat, I decide to fire up my favorite free (as in sweet, pixellatedly-distilled beer) game, Savage: the Battle for Newerth. After a dishearteningly long load time, it crashes, leaving only the woeful message, "You have been unfaithful to me! You cannot experience both the glory of compiz and my gameplay; libX11 is a strange beast to me now, and I know not its foreign ways." (Or perhaps something more terse.)

The solution to fixing java and compiz (emerging libxcb and xcb with the -DNDEBUG CFLAG) does not seem to inspire as much confidence in the game of savage. Sadly, as its source is closed, so too are my options closed. I cannot recompile it with the new libX11. Only re-emerging libX11 without xcb seems to work, but this is not an option for the long-term: is there any way to have two versions of libX11, one with xcb and one without? I had read (on the excellent gentoo-wiki) something in the TIPs about having multiple versions, but I want the same version installed, only with different USE flag settings. Otherwise I must (and this is truly tragic, comparable only to Sophie's choice) choose between compiz and savage.

Oh, and frist psot and all that.
micronuke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this same problem. Funny that it was all working together when I was using Savage installed from SFE in my home directory but when I installed it from portage it quit working.
--
In fact I just installed Savage back to my home directory using the tarball from http://www.notforidiots.com/SFE/ and it runs without errors with xcb set in libX11. I have no idea why.
thesymbolicfrog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Well, you were right Reply with quote

Though I don't understand why, the version of savage downloaded directly from the SFE website does indeed work with libX11, even with the xcb USE flag. Perhaps an update to the ebuild is in order? I would ask for one myself, but I'm not entirely sure what the procedure is for requesting one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: