grub + xp worked, vista doesn't
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: grub + xp worked, vista doesn't Reply with quote

I've been looking all around and can't figure this out.

I have hd0 (linux, grub in mbr) and hd1 (1st partition is vista, had been xp until I reformatted it for vista install).

I made hd1 master and disconnected hd0; installed vista, everything works fine (this is the same way I installed xp).

I put hd0 back to master w/hd1 now as slave; grub, linux still start fine as usual. But this entry I've always used for xp doesn't work w/vista:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

The screen just goes black and POST starts all over; so I tried "rootnoverify (hd1,1)" and the old xp splash screen came up then exited so the grub entry still seems functional but vista won't start.

I did some searching and apparently vista's bootloader is different than xp's but I ran across a site where a guy sets his up exactly as I have mine setup but still nothing.

Anyone got an idea how I can get grub to start vista? I looked at a couple grub+vista googles and besides the occasional extra grub keyword (which didn't seem to help) I still get nothing.
Lasneyx Iliah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-537283-highlight-grub+vista.html

There are some explanations and links to other sites which tell how to setup your grub configuration.
I hope this helps you. Cheers.
Mark [SOLVED]
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it; I've been through those but will read through them again.

Part of the problem it seems is that many ppl have both OSes on one disc - mine are separate discs. The 2 other things are there's nothing wrong w/grub (it can find the old xp bootloader still) where that seems to be the issue for many ppl w/vista+linux dual-booting problems; last is that xp booted just fine with the setup in OP so you would think vista would too. Hmm
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's interesting; I cannot get grub to start vista on another disc and I suspect it has something to do w/vista's bootloader. Although this setup I had been using flawlessly w/xp for a couple years, it just won't work v/vista.

But I discovered I have a BIOS pop-up boot menu (never realized that before), it lists hd1 and vista starts using that so I guess I'm set. I've always felt safest booting like this using linux tools but I guess (hope) this will be ok.

Knowing MS's obliviousness I was terrified hd1 would come up as hd1, vista would see that, want something on hd0 for the future and wipe out/corrupt linux data/grub/mr on hd0 like it was nobody's business. Thankfully that didn't happen and even though that piece of shit defaulted to "enabling performance cache" on my linux disc (geez, the idiocy) so far it looks like I'm ok.

I foolishly booted a win98/95 cd/floppy years ago planning to install it but it blithely overwrote mbr w/its crap - pissed me off royally. So naturally I get white knuckles when I know windows can see linux discs/partitions, never knowing when it will just start plonking down its own crap.
adrislayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i have exactly the same problem here. With Xp, everything ok, but with vista it doesn't.

i have vista installed on the second sata drive and linux on the first. with xp it worked fine too.

i have exactly the same grub configuration:
Code:
title=Windows Vista Ultimate
map (hd0) (hd1) # Tell the first hard drive to pretend to be the second
map (hd1) (hd0) # Tell the second hard drive to pretend to be the first
root (hd1,0) # Tell GRUB Windows is on /dev/hdb1 (No pretending here)
rootnoverify (hd1,0) # GRUB won't attempt to mount the Windows drive
makeactive # Sets the partition to active
chainloader +1 # Tells GRUB to load the Windows bootloader when done

if someone have a solution it would be appreciated. i'm doing the switch with the Bios now but it really is pain to do so.
AES
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to reinstall grub after a Vista install on hd1,0. Vista wiped the MBR without even prompting me.

title Aggravation
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
makeactive
chainloader (hd1,0)+1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: