View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Upgrade to expat-2.0.x needs revdep-rebuild Reply with quote

Hi all! expat-2 is stable and it causes some ABI breakage. A sensible upgrade path is:
Code:
#first, expat itself
emerge -u1 expat

#now some basic libraries that are needed for building stuff
emerge -1 gettext XML-Parser

#clean out old revdep-rebuild data
rm /root/.revdep*

#now, rebuild everything else that is broken
revdep-rebuild -Xp
revdep-rebuild -X

If something fails to build, first try
Code:
revdep-rebuild -X

(if you haven't already done so) and then try to upgrade again.

Mod edit: Stuck 2007-08-13. --kallamej
Unstuck as this problem is almost certain to have been resolved on all systems where it was relevant. -- desultory

Last edited by Voltago on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to expat-2.x.y needs revdep-rebuild Reply with quote

if remerging gtk+ fails after going to expat-2, do the following:
Code:
emerge fontconfig
emerge pango
emerge gtk+

it also looks like the issue with the xeffects overlay is now corrected: kdelibs-3.5.7-r2 is now ARCH in the overlay as well as portage.
STrRedWolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozilla-firefox-bin breaks using expat2 (as probably most other 32-bit binaries). A cheezy simlink of libexpat.so to libexpat.so.0 got me back up and running, but it's a hack and we could do better...
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STrRedWolf wrote:
mozilla-firefox-bin breaks using expat2 (as probably most other 32-bit binaries). A cheezy simlink of libexpat.so to libexpat.so.0 got me back up and running, but it's a hack and we could do better...

Never do this.

Even to loosely suggest this, could cause others to try this and it's simply wrong. While this may work for your immediate issue, it will cause other problems and hide other bugs/problems that crop up later and you won't be able to fix.

It is likely that there is another package it depends on that it actually broken and needs a rebuild. SO, the symlink is actually masking that packages problem as well. Though, perhaps there needs to be an update to the mozilla-firefox ebuild... perhaps submitting a bug to the maintainer of the ebuild would be prudent.

Anyway, here are the packages on my system which depend on expat:

prometheus ~ # equery depends expat
[ Searching for packages depending on expat... ]
app-office/openoffice-2.2.1 (dev-libs/expat)
dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r4 (!build? dev-libs/expat)
dev-libs/apr-util-1.2.8-r1 (dev-libs/expat)
dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.34-r1 (>=dev-libs/expat-1.95.1-r1)
dev-python/pyxml-0.8.4 (>=dev-libs/expat-1.95.6)
dev-util/git-1.5.1.6 (webdav? dev-libs/expat)
kde-base/kopete-3.5.7 (jingle? dev-libs/expat)
media-libs/fontconfig-2.4.2 (!xml? >=dev-libs/expat-1.95.3)
media-libs/mesa-9999 (dev-libs/expat)
net-dns/avahi-0.6.19-r2 (dev-libs/expat)
net-misc/neon-0.26.3 (expat? dev-libs/expat)
sys-apps/dbus-1.0.2-r2 (>=dev-libs/expat-1.95.8)
sys-apps/hal-0.5.9-r1 (>=dev-libs/expat-1.95.8)
sys-devel/gettext-0.16.1 (dev-libs/expat)
www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.6 (dev-libs/expat)

equery is your friend. Try rebuilding each of these packages, starting with al the dev-* and sys-* packages. Make sure you get rid of that silly symlink first.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STrRedWolf wrote:
mozilla-firefox-bin breaks using expat2 (as probably most other 32-bit binaries).

Really? That surprises me a little, since firefox-bin-2.0.0.6 is running fine here with expat-2, and I couldn't find a dependency on it:
Code:
find /opt/firefox -type f -executable -exec ldd {} \; | grep expat | wc -l

gives 0. Might be some other library that firefox depends on though.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to expat-2.x.y needs revdep-rebuild Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
If something fails to build, first try
Code:

(if you haven't already done so) and then try to upgrade again.

qt bombed when I did revdep-rebuild after upgrading expat. emerge -e system fixed it eventually. Wish I'd have tried that first, maybe it would've saved me 3 hours of compile time.
SwissBushIndian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2 failed Reply with quote

Code:
!!! ERROR: x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1632:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 983:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 1322:   Called gnome2_src_compile
  gnome2.eclass, line 70:   Called gnome2_src_configure
  gnome2.eclass, line 66:   Called econf '--disable-gtk-doc'
  ebuild.sh, line 586:   Called die

Really need some help with this :(
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more of the error message would be helpful... and does
Code:
revdep-rebuild -p

tell you to rebuild stuff?
SwissBushIndian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a bunch of broken packages that depend on this one failing. It's the gnome update from .16 to .18, kinda pissing me off ~~

Code:

>>> Emerging (1 of 16) x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2 to /
 * libwnck-2.18.2.tar.bz2 RMD160 ;-) ...                                                                 [ ok ]
 * libwnck-2.18.2.tar.bz2 SHA1 ;-) ...                                                                   [ ok ]
 * libwnck-2.18.2.tar.bz2 SHA256 ;-) ...                                                                 [ ok ]
 * libwnck-2.18.2.tar.bz2 size ;-) ...                                                                   [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                     [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                    [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                   [ ok ]
 * checking libwnck-2.18.2.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                               [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking libwnck-2.18.2.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2/work
 * Fixing OMF Makefiles ...                                                                              [ ok ]
 * Running elibtoolize in: libwnck-2.18.2
 *   Applying portage-1.5.10.patch ...
 *   Applying max_cmd_len-1.5.20.patch ...
 *   Applying sed-1.5.6.patch ...
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2/work/libwnck-2.18.2 ...
 * econf: updating libwnck-2.18.2/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
 * econf: updating libwnck-2.18.2/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-gtk-doc --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking dependency style of i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc3
checking for intltool >= 0.35.0... 0.35.5 found
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool

!!! Please attach the following file when filing a report to bugs.gentoo.org:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2/work/libwnck-2.18.2/config.log

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1322:   Called gnome2_src_compile
  gnome2.eclass, line 70:   Called gnome2_src_configure
  gnome2.eclass, line 66:   Called econf '--disable-gtk-doc'
  ebuild.sh, line 586:   Called die

!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
!!! A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.18.2/temp/build.log'.
Nijinski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-575655.html
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to expat-2.x.y needs revdep-rebuild Reply with quote

Unne wrote:

qt bombed when I did revdep-rebuild after upgrading expat. emerge -e system fixed it eventually. Wish I'd have tried that first, maybe it would've saved me 3 hours of compile time.

I was sent here from a related thread ( https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4185800.html#4185800 ), and have been stuck in this problem since yesterday.

I've done all the suggestions in this thread and the other one (and some others on the topic), but qt3 still bombs.

In desperation at around 2AM last night I tried your emerge -e system, but that bombed in some x11-app.

I re-synced and tried emerge -uvD world, which once again started with qt3, which still bombs as follows:

Code:

/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8/plugins editfunctions.ui -o editfunctions.h
/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8/bin/uic: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [listboxeditor.h] Error 127
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8/bin/uic: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [editfunctions.h] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8/tools/designer/designer'
make[2]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8/tools/designer'
make[1]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8/tools'
make: *** [sub-tools] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r3 failed.
Call stack:
  qt-3.3.8-r3.ebuild, line 214:   Called die

I notice that there was also a qt4 scheduled to be built... should I skipfirst and see how the rest goes?

Or is there something else I can do to get a working system? Konqueror works, but Kmail doesn't, and firefox doesn't (running from the command line produces:
Code:

~ $firefox
No running windows found
firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (1)

Like I said, I've already done the emerge xpat curl step (and other packages suggested), the revdep-rebuild -X step fails with qt (first of 50 packages).

Thanks for any suggestions.

cheers, Ian
PCalitrack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Likewise problems Reply with quote

I also have problems with libexpat.so.0 except in gnome. Gtk+ fails to build without it, and then every other package fails to find gtk+ unless libexpat.so.0 exists. The only way I am able to have X windows running is by symlinking libexpat.so.0 with libexpat.so.1.

I don't get it though, I have search the ebuilds for packages that install this library file, yet nothing seems to. Why is it unsafe to symlink it? I'm tempted to believe it is supposed to be symlinked, cause that is the only way I can get my system to run. I've tried revdep-rebuild, re-emerging my packages, etc. Nothing works. Do I need to reinstall the old expat and then install the new expat in parallel, because I believe the new expat deleted the libexpat.so.0 file? Is their not a package that will build this file?
PCalitrack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a fake ebuild of dev-libs/expat-1.95.8 just to see what the libexpat.so.0 file was up to in the older version of expat. It turns out that it is just a link to libexpat.so.0.5.0, which of course doesn't exist in expat-2.0.1. However, that further leads me to believe that libexpat.so.0 should just be a link to libexpat.so.1.5.2 in the newer expat (to mimic its usage in the previous version where it linked to libexpat.so.0.5.0). Don't most libraries do this anyways for backwards compatibility?

Sorry, if I may be leading some astray, but let me know of a better way that works if there is one.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Likewise problems Reply with quote

PCalitrack wrote:
I also have problems with libexpat.so.0 except in gnome.

Then perhaps this thread might be of interest for you: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546876

PCalitrack wrote:
I don't get it though, I have search the ebuilds for packages that install this library file, yet nothing seems to. Why is it unsafe to symlink it? I'm tempted to believe it is supposed to be symlinked, cause that is the only way I can get my system to run.

No, it is not supposed to. libexpat.so.0 and libexpat.so.1 are different, that's why they have different numbers at the end. They may be quite similar, so some programs run quite well with either of them, but if an application relies on one specific version and finds the other, it will crash.

PCalitrack wrote:
I've tried revdep-rebuild, re-emerging my packages, etc. Nothing works. Do I need to reinstall the old expat and then install the new expat in parallel, because I believe the new expat deleted the libexpat.so.0 file? Is their not a package that will build this file?

Did you do revdep-rebuild while you had your symlink in place? Because then you quite probably fooled revdep-rebuild into thinking that everything was OK. So remove that symlink and try again to run revdep-rebuild -X.
grozin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to follow the upgrade path proposed in the first message in this thread. But in step 2, emerging gettext fails. I am now typing this at another computer, because my main one is not fully functional after upgrading expat - I cannot start kde and cannot visit this forum (haven't tried links, may be, it works). So, I have to re-type things. The failure is:
Code:
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gettext-0.16.1/work/gettext-0.16.1/gettext-tools/misc'
if test "emacs" != no; then \
<skipped>
fi
emacs: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to re-emerge emacs, but this attempt failed, of course. Looks like a circular situation - to emerge emacs, I need gettext, and to emerge gettext, I need emacs. revdep-rebuild tries to emerge kdelibs first, and fails. Nothing works - no kde, no emacs, cannot use the computer.
Could somebody help?
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose
Code:
USE=-emacs emerge -1 gettext
emerge -1 emacs
emerge -1 gettext
grozin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gettext emerges OK. Emerging emacs fails:
Code:
LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch -l loadup dump
./temacs: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-hu. So the 'temacs' application, whatever that is, wants libexpat.so.0. Your best bet would be to find out where 'temacs' comes from, why it wants that lib, and fix it by rebuilding.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Two days ago I did
Code:

emerge -uD world

Gnome and KDE plus some more needed to be upgraded.
After running for a while I got the expat errors.
I simply did
Code:

emerge --resume --skipfirst

When it finished I did
Code:

revdep-rebuild -p

I forget what exactly had to be rebuild,but it was quite a lot.
My box is now running OK.
I had a look in /usr/lib:THERE IS NO LIBEXPAT.SO.0!!
So don't make that symlink.
Revdep-rebuild will take care of your problem.
Gerard
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Stanley Pain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've pretty much got my system back up and running except for a few things.

I'm running on a 64bit platform, so anything that needs /usr/lib64/libexpat* works fine. However, applications that need the 32bit version do not (Opera, 32bit flash wrapper for FireFox, and a few others). I've done a full system and emerge world update which went through without a hitch.

Revdep-rebuild still shows a few packages that need to be updated.

Code:

emerge --oneshot -X =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-10.0 =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-qtlibs-10.0-r1 =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs-10.0-r1 =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs-10.0-r1 =net-www/nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.4

Running revdep-rebuild starts up okay, but fails compliling on gtlibs and gtklibs from the above packages. Linking to the 64bit libaries doesn't work, and running revdep-rebuild -X gives me an emerge error -X command unknown. I feel like I'm so close yet so far. Any help would be appreciated.

edit:

Here's my emerge --info

Code:

System uname: 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:30:10 +0000
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.16
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.23b
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.21
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O3 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -O3 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks metadata-transfer parallel-fetch sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirrors.tera-byte.com/pub/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acl acpi alsa amd64 arts berkdb bitmap-fonts cairo cdr cli cracklib crypt cups dbus dri dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd evo fam firefox fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal iconv ipv6 isdnlog jpeg kde kerberos ldap mad midi mikmod mmx mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nvidia ogg opengl openmp oss pam pcre pdf perl png pppd python qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session spell spl sse sse2 ssl svg tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode vorbis xml xorg xv xvmc zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

jhansen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: apr-util problems Reply with quote

One big gotcha for me was that I needed to re-emerge dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12-r1, NOT necessarily only dev-libs/apr-util-1.2.8, before apache and subversion would link correctly.
NTT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/opt/Acrobat7/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Binary Adobe's PDF reader - so no source code available. What will I do with packages like this?
Arfrever
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTT wrote:
Code:
/opt/Acrobat7/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Binary Adobe's PDF reader - so no source code available. What will I do with packages like this?

Report a bug to upstream. Or use e. g. KPDF.

Perduodu linkėjimus
Arfrever
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTT wrote:

re-emerge it after you fixed your system, then it will work again :roll: :idea:

my "upgrade" didn't work out as flawlessly as for others:

approx 400 packages need to be re-emerged [still emerging] & I think the first run won't suffice :(

revdep-rebuild here I come again :P

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
anz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: thanks for the posting ... Reply with quote

... but I could not read it anymore after updating - kde/gnome crashed suddenly (mesa could not find libexpat.so.0 8O )...
the emerge --oneshot after "revdep-rebuild" crashed when starting reemerging any gnome package (the solution: emerge -av <gnome-package> and a newer version was installed without error).

A emerge expat showed to run
Code:
revdep-rebuild -X --library libexpat.so.0

(Thanks alot for that hint in the output!)

A emerge x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.21-r1
crashed - no xml::parser installed (although it is) - so
emerge dev-perl/XML-Parser
... and do not forget to reemerge gettext ...
After that, the emerge shared-mime-info worked ...
... with the second nice hint
Code:
Please 'emerge gentoolkit' and run:
 * revdep-rebuild --library libintl.so.7

After that action revdep-rebuild worked without any troubles (during the night).
(Important for muddle-headed people like me: before starting a new revdep-rebuild
do not forget to make a rm /root/.revdep-rebuild.*)

... in future I will check in the forum BEFORE doing updates ... I swear ...

Last edited by anz on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: