n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not saying its right, but

Code:
% cd /usr/lib
% ln -s libexpat.so.0 libexpat.so

*shrug*

got me through build. haven't actually restarted anything though.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazy_and_crufty,

You will hate that - now things break at run time instead of failing to start.

See this page for a script to rebuild everything that depends on libexpat.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
lazy_and_crufty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, will do. just curious though, why would I hate that?

no matter what I did, xgettext had issues during the attr build...it kept looking for the .0 link. By connecting the .0 to .so, I've ensured that the lib can be found.

Is this because the .0 should be a different then the .1?

right now i'm in the middle of a massive emerge --update --deep --newuse world so I really just want to keep things moving right now while the system is unstable. I will take your advice to heart though, and circle back!
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ok, will do. just curious though, why would I hate that?

Because applications that are actually using expat but with a different ABI then they were compiled for can and will crash.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: libwnck-2.20.3 Reply with quote

Hi hoping someone can help. I can't get past this package while trying to update my system. This is the build error:

Emerging (4 of 37) x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3 to /
* libwnck-2.20.3.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking ebuild checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking auxfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking miscfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking libwnck-2.20.3.tar.bz2 ;-) ... [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking libwnck-2.20.3.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3/work
* Fixing OMF Makefiles ... [ ok ]
* Running elibtoolize in: libwnck-2.20.3
* Applying portage-1.5.10.patch ...
* Applying max_cmd_len-1.5.20.patch ...
* Applying sed-1.5.6.patch ...
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3/work/libwnck-2.20.3 ...
* econf: updating libwnck-2.20.3/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
* econf: updating libwnck-2.20.3/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-gtk-doc --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking dependency style of i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc3
checking for intltool >= 0.35.0... 0.36.1 found
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3/work/libwnck-2.20.3/config.log
* ERROR: x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
* environment, line 577: Called gnome2_src_compile
* environment, line 514: Called gnome2_src_configure
* environment, line 528: Called econf 'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 513: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* die "econf failed"
* The die message:
* econf failed
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3/temp/environment'.

* Messages for package x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3:

* ERROR: x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
* environment, line 577: Called gnome2_src_compile
* environment, line 514: Called gnome2_src_configure
* environment, line 528: Called econf 'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 513: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* die "econf failed"
* The die message:
* econf failed
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-2.20.3/temp/environment'.
* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above post here.
See also https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-168963.html

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like an expat error, so I'm not sure why it was moved here.

You're missing a dependency

emerge XML-Parser
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Installing gdm, portage, libxpat problems Reply with quote

Hey all! I am new to gentoo and these forums, but I am pleased with both so far!

I am having some real trouble getting gnome to work on my PC. I have, i believe, sucessfully installed gentoo and am in my own working environment. I did a simple "emerge gnome" at first, and that ran for a really long time, but eventually finished.

Then I did an emerge --update --deep --newuse world to try and get everything on the same page. After a few tries that eventually got through and all was good. I updated the 40 some odd configuration files using the automatic updating utility.

The moment of truth and i try to run gnome, and I get the following:

#gdm
gdm: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

So I read a few other threads and the general consensus seemed to be that running "revdep-rebuild" would fix the problem, which apparantly had something to do with symbolic links...? So i emerged gentools to get the utility, and that went fine...but then:

#revdep-rebuild
<snip>
*Portage patch failed to apply (ltmain.sh version 1.5.26)!
*Please bug azarah or vapier to add proper patch.
*ERROR: media-libs/fontconfig-2.5.0-r1 failed.
*Call stack:
* Ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_unpack
* environment, line 2586: called eautoreconf
* environment, line 846: called elibtoolize
* environment, line 1083: called die
* The specific snipped of code:
* die "Portage patch failed to apply!";
* The die message:
* Portage patch failed to apply!
* If you need support.......

Any thoughts, suggestions? What do I do now?

BvG
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you search before you post :wink:

merged above post here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried several scripts on this page:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~neddyseagoon/docs/mzbots_wisdom.xml

with no success.

I guess I have the same problem as the rest of the people in this thread. But I am no closer to a solution.
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, i am really new to gentoo. I have been using linux for a couple years now, but always have used distros with a packaging system (yum) i am really new to compiling in general, so sorry if i ask stupid questions.

I really dont understan why i cant seem to make any of the advice in this thread work.

I try to get revdep-rebuild to fix the mess of programs that were broken from the incorrect libexpat.so.0 problem, but it always fails in the same manner as I described in my earlier post. I believe it figures out all of the broken programs, emerge just always fails!
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really dont understan why i cant seem to make any of the advice in this thread work.

That is why this thread is so long... The official revdep-rebuild solution did not work for many but there are a few other ways to fix the problem. I have solved this on over a dozen machines and I ended up having to use combinations of these methods to get each of the machines running. On some machines I only needed two methods on others it was more difficult. In this process I would highly recommend using the following script to help the build process by automatically continuing after a failed package in the emerge: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828-highlight-.html

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I am absolutely new to this distribution. It is my first time install, and I have run into a problem (which presumably anyone who wants a graphical desktop would) which has totally stopped me dead in my tracks. So Gentoo is basically a n00b proof distribution. What a triumph for the open source world.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wait till the next release (2008.0) which I believe will be out next month. I can assure you that the next release will not have this expat problem. Gentoo generally is not this unfriendly as I have never seen a problem anywhere near as hard to fix as this one and I am an experienced user. I have been using gentoo for almost 4 years and I manage more than 30 gentoo machines at home and at work.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really dissappointed that this was not mentioned in the Gentoo Handbook! If they had prefaced the handbook with a line to the effect of "After you get 90 percent through your installation, and are so close to a GUI that you can taste it, you will run into a problem, which has a solution, buried in our user forum. But heres the gotcha: the solution may or may not work for you! Best of luck!"

So now I am in the situation where I can either a) wait a month till the next version of Gentoo should have this problem fixed, and in the meantime think of my computer as an elaborate piece of modern art, or b) find some other distribution.

Uhhhhh. B
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the above doesnt come off as rude to any of the people who participate on this forum. I respect wholeheartedly people who are willing to give freely of their time to help total strangers with their problems. I guess I am just frustrated at having lost so much of my free time on so futile a cause. Please accept my apology if you were offended. Perhaps you will see me here again in a few months...
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wait a month till the next version of Gentoo should have this problem fixed

The problem will be fixed with the next release because the next release will have the new expat and not the old. The problem only occurs if you try to upgrade a system from the old expat to the new. If you build clean with the new you should not see that. So the problem you are having is the last release had the old expat and the 2007.1 release was canceled.

Instead of waiting for a month if you are somewhat experienced with linux you could post every expat problem you have (in this thread) and we can help solve them...

One thing you can try (which will probably work better) if you are just installing is to not install the GUI from the livecd and instead install just the minimal packages. Then do an emerge --sync and then upgrade expat before installing kde or gnome. And I also mean you will be compiling these or using tinderbox or similar for binary packages. See the link I posted about update.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay

Last edited by drescherjm on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the solution may or may not work for you!

The problem is that revdep-rebuild should in theory fix the problem however the stable and unstable versions both have bugs that prevent that from happening. The two main problems I see are slotted packages and packages removed from portage. If you use the stable revdep-rebuild with out the -X parameter and you have an out of date system it is guaranteed to fail because it will try to rebuild packages that are no longer in portage. Note that a livecd will probably be out of date the day you download it... If you use the -X parameter it will not handle slotted packages correctly because it will install the newest version and may not address the broken slotted package at all thus leaving your system just as broken as before you executed revdep-rebuild. On top of that the stable version of revdep-rebuild may not return the full list of packages to rebuild or no packages at all even after it says that a lot of things are broken. The unstable version which fixes the last of these problems is broken in yet more ways but I still use it...

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: some final thoughts Reply with quote

That is a LOT of use of the word "broken" to describe the solution to this problem. The whole reason I wanted to migrate to Gentoo from Fedora Core 8 was because of the allure of being able to make a system that was designed for my hardware specifically, and would be as stable as I wanted it to be. The disparity between this vision and the reality has left me really disillusioned about Gentoo. At the beginning of the process I was really getting into the idea of being able to have such control over my system, and its contents, and was really learning a lot from the process... It is a shame.

And the shocking fact of the situation is, that if you look back over these nineteen pages of posts, you will see that the first was posted over a year ago. Which means that the developers have presumably been aware of this problem for at least that long. The fact that it still is an issue is just...I don't even know the right word. In my experience with Linux, Gentoo has been the best documented and seems to have the most involved community of any that I have worked with. However, if such a MAJOR issue exists, that it prevents a successful installation of a GUI...in 2008, and has existed for over a year... I am forced to the perspective that the promise of the distribution, and its delivery are not at all in sync.

I just installed Ubuntu from the live CD, and really, honestly, it isnt what I want. However, the simple reality of the situation is that I struggled with Gentoo for about 30 hours, only to hit a dead end. Conversely, after 5 minutes of configuring the auto installer and 30 minutes to install to the hard drive, I have a working Ubuntu system, that is ready to be prepared for exactly what I want to do with it. I wont have as much fun with it, and it wont be so custom, so mine, and it probably wont run as well as it could with Gentoo. But it works.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bvongunten,

From your post, you appear to have missed the difference betwen Gentoo and binary distros.
That you believe you can have a customised sytem installed using the GUI installer shows that.

The Gentoo GUI installer tries to be too clever, allowing builds from sources. There is a whole thread about that on the forums. To get a customised system, you need to do the manual install.

*any* ready made binaries you install and not optimised for your system. If you have a 32 bit Intel/AMD CPU, they are optimised for generic i686. Thats still better than many binary distros, which target i586.

Lastly, if you have problems with the command line install, you will have problems maintating your Gentoo.
Keep in mind as you read that Gentoo is a meta distro. It gives you the tools to make your very own distro and demands that you use them.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
bvongunten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the command line install. I started with the basic live cd and then did a stage 3 tarball install from the internet. My installation went fine. I was simply unable to get a GUI up and running, which in this day and age is unacceptable. The fact that the expat lib problem prevented a fresh install from getting a gui up and running...unacceptable.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bvongunten,

You don't need to accept it, you can fix it and share your knowledge, thas how the Gentoo community works.
A handbook update warning of the libexpat issue and to do the update before GUI install would have been useful, pending the release of 2008.0 but hindsight gives everyone 20-20 vision.

This page offers a couple of different libexpat fixes.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to admit it, but this bug just hit me again. I can't get inkscape to start.

Code:
rick@triffid ~ $ inkscape
inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
rick@triffid ~ $

I've tried re-emerging inkscape, putting inkscape in package.keywords to get the latest version, re-emerging expat, and the updates advised on the "The Collected Wisdom of mzbot" page under the heading "expat-2.0.1 an alternative approach".

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should try next?
ledskof
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck for me yet.

I've followed mzbot to the letter and everything I've done thus far still results in:

Code:
/usr/bin/xgettext: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 * ERROR: sys-apps/attr-2.4.39 failed.

Anyone figured out a consistent solution to this yet?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledskof,

Code:
emerge -n1 '>=portage-2.1.2.12' portage-utils && emerge -qep world | grep --color=never -oFf <(scanelf -plRBF '%F %n' | awk '/libexpat.so.0/{print $1}' | xargs qfile -qC | sort -u; echo -e "libtool\ncurl") | xargs emerge -1

creates a list of packages that are linked to the old libexpat and rebuilds them.

Add a p to the end of the command, like this, to see a list
Code:
| xargs emerge -1p
please post the list.
The part of the command
Code:
emerge -n1 '>=portage-2.1.2.12' portage-utils &&
ensures you have the right portage and portage-utils to support the rest of the command. After the first time, you only need to run
Code:
emerge -qep world | grep --color=never -oFf <(scanelf -plRBF '%F %n' | awk '/libexpat.so.0/{print $1}' | xargs qfile -qC | sort -u; echo -e "libtool\ncurl") | xargs emerge -1
which will save some time

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: