View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a
Code:
emerge -uDav world
after the revdep-rebuild -X and then do another revdep-rebuild.

I can say that I managed this expat update quite smoothly on all x86 machine I have to administer. I found out, that the best way to do the expat update is this way:

First, update system which already pulls expat in:
Code:
emerge -uDav system
If you also have to update curl like me, do this (not necessary when you run the second revdep-rebuild later, but I wanted to get rebuilt as much as possible with the first revdep-rebuild):
Code:
emerge -1v curl
Then run the first revdep-rebuild:
Code:
revdep-rebuild -X
Now, do update the rest of your system:
Code:
emerge -uDav world
Run --depclean for packages which were mistakenly installed by revdep-rebuild -X (this happens for example when you have apache installed. Apache needs apr{,-util}-0.9.x to work but revdep-rebuild -X pulls apr{.-util}-1.2.x in).
Code:
emerge -a --depclean
Last step is to run revdep-rebuild again, this time without the -X option (which should catch for example the correct version of apr{,-util}):
Code:
revdep-rebuild

This should work quite well with machines having KDE installed. I don't know if this works with Gnome as well.

By the way, if you really find updates like the expat one annoying, then please consider to use LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml). It's unsupported and sometimes leads to strange errors, but it can definitely save you from this kind of hassle.

Cheers
Poly-C

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, fifthed, and nthed. I know some people do not care for as-needed at all, but it's advantages far outweigh it's problems. I've been using it almost since it first became available under Gentoo. When I updated expat, my rebuilds came out to less than 10 packages. I should have saved the outputted list.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. Though I haven't set as-needed system wide. Instead, I am using bashrc to selectively apply as-needed to kde-base and kde-misc category packages only.

I only had a handful of packages actually needing a rebuild.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
When I updated expat, my rebuilds came out to less than 10 packages. I should have saved the outputted list.

Hehe, 3 rebuilds on a recently installed x86 stage1 with --as-needed. That was the most easiest expat upgrad I ever did... ;)

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos of nothing, I've decided 'outputted' is a terrible past participle, and I won't be using it again.
paddlaren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Problem with Gtk+ Reply with quote

Anybody got the x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13 working with this package?

For me it seems to fail on a utility that comes with the package or I don't understand what dependency I should fix.
I skipped it for a start and are continuing with the rest in revdep-rebuild so it might be solved later on.

The message I got is:
Code:

i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared  .libs/imviqr.o  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/gdk-pixbuf/.libs -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/gdk/.libs -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/gtk/.libs -L/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/gdk-pixbuf/.libs -L/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/gdk/.libs ../../gdk-pixbuf/.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so -L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../ -L/usr/lib ../../gdk/.libs/libgdk-x11-2.0.so ../../gtk/.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libX11.so /usr/lib/libXfixes.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libcairo.so -lm  -march=k8 -m32 -Wl,-soname -Wl,im-viqr.so -o .libs/im-viqr.so
creating im-ti-et.la
creating im-viqr.la
(cd .libs && rm -f im-ti-et.la && ln -s ../im-ti-et.la im-ti-et.la)
(cd .libs && rm -f im-viqr.la && ln -s ../im-viqr.la im-viqr.la)
../../gtk/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 im-xim.la  im-am-et.la im-cedilla.la im-cyrillic-translit.la im-inuktitut.la im-ipa.la im-thai.la im-ti-er.la im-ti-et.la im-viqr.la  > gtk.immodules
/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/gtk/.libs/lt-gtk-query-immodules-2.0: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [gtk.immodules] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/modules/input'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/work/gtk+-2.10.13'
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *   ebuild.sh, line 1654:   Called dyn_compile
 *   ebuild.sh, line 990:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *   ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
 *   gtk+-2.10.13.ebuild, line 108:   Called die
 * compile failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13/temp/build.log'.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtk+ seems to get fixed if you rebuild fontconfig and pango, then gtk+. Since you're skipping it, fontconfig and pango will probably get rebuilt towards the end of the revdep-rebuild.
paddlaren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
gtk+ seems to get fixed if you rebuild fontconfig and pango, then gtk+. Since you're skipping it, fontconfig and pango will probably get rebuilt towards the end of the revdep-rebuild.

Thanks!
I missed the pang-lib in my preparations. Will try this and continue. Right now I have to make KDE and Kaffeine stable enought to record the SciFi-Friday TV here in Sweden... Only 4 packages left for that and the rest will be made tonight :)

Thanks for all help in this thread.

Regards,
Erik
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
Hey, for those who haven't noticed yet, expat-2.0.1 just went stable on amd64. I'd like to thank the Academy, my parents, God, and "--as-needed" for making this upgrade possible.

I missed something or is it a joke... this --as-needed switch? Please show me a syntax example please?

--
DWW
Arfrever
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancesWithWords wrote:
didymos wrote:
Hey, for those who haven't noticed yet, expat-2.0.1 just went stable on amd64. I'd like to thank the Academy, my parents, God, and "--as-needed" for making this upgrade possible.

I missed something or is it a joke... this --as-needed switch?

It isn't a joke.

DancesWithWords wrote:
Please show me a syntax example please?

I have:
Code:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--as-needed,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common,-z,relro"

(I use GNU Binutils 2.17.50.0.18.)

Read:
Code:
man ld

(You can experiment with "-Bsymbolic-functions" and GLibC :twisted: .)

Perduodu linkėjimus
Arfrever
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gentoo howto on "--as-needed" ([url] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml) [/url]is pretty scary; viz,

Quote:
Note: This guide is related to an experimental feature or function that may or may not work on your system, packages, or architecture. The information stated here is presented only for informative purposes, and is not officially supported. Working patches to fix packages to work with this feature are usually welcome if they don't create more problems for current users. In any case, please don't report problems caused by the steps explained in this guide on bugzilla.

and

Quote:
Warning: At the time of writing, there are many packages failing in funny ways because of --as-needed as they weren't designed to be used with it. While there shouldn't be (note the conditional) problems such as crashes, this flag is not considered safe for production use and not supported in any way by Gentoo.

trizz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albright wrote:
The gentoo howto on "--as-needed" ([url] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml) [/url]is pretty scary; viz,

Quote:
Note: This guide is related to an experimental feature or function that may or may not work on your system, packages, or architecture. The information stated here is presented only for informative purposes, and is not officially supported. Working patches to fix packages to work with this feature are usually welcome if they don't create more problems for current users. In any case, please don't report problems caused by the steps explained in this guide on bugzilla.

and

Quote:
Warning: At the time of writing, there are many packages failing in funny ways because of --as-needed as they weren't designed to be used with it. While there shouldn't be (note the conditional) problems such as crashes, this flag is not considered safe for production use and not supported in any way by Gentoo.

EXACTLY why I'm not about to start using it. This is a development workstation I'm on here, not some hobby box I'm playing with for fun and learning. That's what my laptop is for and I'm more than happy to play these games out on it.

The fact that this update broke apache and is requiring still more revdep-rebuild B.S. possibly --depclean as well, and yet ANOTHER revdep-rebuild after --depclean basically reduces my system to a useless pile of crap... really pisses me off. :x

If it weren't for the fact that I just don't have the time to f*** with it right now I'd would have installed OpenSuse already and been done with this update hell that seems to be the defining characteristic of gentoo.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize that that guide was written quite a while ago, right? Currently, very few things have outstanding problems with --as-needed. Many of the open bugs actually have fixes, they just haven't been committed yet, and at least a couple of the bugs currently blamed on --as-needed really have nothing to do with --as-needed at all. They just haven't been closed yet. And that bit about not reporting any problems to Bugzilla? Yeah, whatever:

[Tracker] LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" support
beso_1717
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You realize that that guide was written quite a while ago, right? Currently, very few things have outstanding problems with --as-needed. Many of the open bugs actually have fixes, they just haven't been committed yet, and at least a couple of the bugs currently blamed on --as-needed really have nothing to do with --as-needed at all. They just haven't been closed yet. And that bit about not reporting any problems to Bugzilla? Yeah, whatever:

and i don't really know why on an amd64 box it doesn't work. whenever the first ld would be called it breakes beacause of the unknown option. and i'm using the latest stable <system>. is amd64 unsupported?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beso_1717 wrote:
and i don't really know why on an amd64 box it doesn't work. whenever the first ld would be called it breakes beacause of the unknown option. and i'm using the latest stable <system>. is amd64 unsupported?

It's supported just fine. Post "emerge --info". It's probably something like an extra space in LDFLAGS that's causing the problem.
beso_1717
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's supported just fine. Post "emerge --info". It's probably something like an extra space in LDFLAGS that's causing the problem.

that was the problem. i'm now able to use the flag, but i haven't noticed great speed improvements around. at least for now.
lmcogs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried most suggestion in this thread but no good. I had a new system up and running kde-meta 3.5 on 2.6.22-gentoo-r8 64bit system. It was quite a feat until I believe I did emerge -uDn world. After rebooting I got the the message could not find kdeinit.
Hadn't a clue what happened until I got to this thread but I'm afraid I am not any wiser. When I run revdep-rebuild -X I get all the kde broken and when it tries to emerge the first package which was kdelibs it failed, also the next when I did --skipfirst.

If no one can give me the instruction on how to fix this then can I get rid of kde-meta and re emerge it. If that's no good can I unmerge kde and emerge gnome? What is the commands.

I have used gentoo for the past couple of years and despite the sometimes hassle of emerge failures and long emerges I found gentoo the best distro and great help. But this is pretty bad and I would agree with a previous person that these type of arguments and opinions don't help the novices.

PS I have downgraded expat and put version 2.0.1 in package.mask. Doing revdep-rebuild -X and at the moment kdelibs has emerged but theres 210 to go. If successful when do I unmask expat 2.0.1?
beso_1717
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hadn't a clue what happened until I got to this thread but I'm afraid I am not any wiser. When I run revdep-rebuild -X I get all the kde broken and when it tries to emerge the first package which was kdelibs it failed, also the next when I did --skipfirst.

for what i know portage puts some other packages needed by kde after emerging kde. anyway, modify your /etc/make.conf adding --as-needed to your LDFLAGS (remember to not put spaces between ldflags) emerge libexpat2, then emerge manually shared-mime-libs and ro a revdep-rebuild -p without the -X option. it doesn't really matter. look in the list of packages that need to be installed and install manually all the packages that revdep wants to install after kdebuilds in this manner:
first all the system/core packages
cairo then pango then gtk+ (this aren't really needed by kde but they may be triggered) and then gimp
xorg packages
in the end kdepackages and then programs. remember to delete the /root/.revedep-rebuild files after running revdep and installing some of the packages there by hand.
lmcogs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beso_1717 Thanks for the reply. I put expat-2.0.1 into mask and now I have kde up and running. So I am pretty scared to try yours advise but I prob will try.

Anyway forgive my naive questions but when you say livexpat2 I believe thats expat? Also it's add LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" to make.conf and also what package is shared-mime-libs, what do I emerge?

Last edited by lmcogs on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
lmcogs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going through your advice, I also did an equery of expat and emerged most of them too, finally cairo pango and gtk+. Then revdep-rebuild -p brought up practically all of kde-meta As you said I will try emerging all non kde stuff first but that's not much. There are over 200 packages to upgrade but I will try the couple of none kde stuff first. I then removed the -p and so far kdelibs and 12 others are emerging ok.

Its a long way yet but it's looking good.

Most of the emerges are recognising --as-needed option in make.conf. Do I keep this option in all the time?
beso_1717
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libexpat2 is expat-2.0 versions.
Quote:
shared-mime-libs
is a package that is required by something and it has to be installed before the package that requires it.
the many packages that revdep pushes may be due that kde has just bumped to 3.5.8 in unstable arch.
for the --as-needed you can have it always on. i didn't experienced any issue with it. at least for now.
the only thing is that you may need to disable it when you compile glibc, but i'm not really sure if this really happens since my problems were with paludis while portage (without --as-needed) compiled fine. for what i know this flag works very well when considering rebuild of packages.
lmcogs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beso_1717 Finally done and got

Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.

Thanks for the help

By the way there doesn't seem to be share-mime-libs
# emerge -pv shared-mime-libs

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies /
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "shared-mime-libs". but there is a shared-mime-info.
3AndMe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm having similar issues with pango and libexpat (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-602948.html).
If you find a solution, please let me know.
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say, that expat is A REAL SHIT! It absolutely broky my system and it can't be fixed by emerge or revdep-rebuild because for fixing sistem after this shitty ebukd deleted libexpat.so.0 I need rebuild kdelibs, which always fails because of libexpat.so.0 absence (I tried enabling --as-needed, this doesn't change anything)
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiberGus,

There were two very different solutions posted in this thread.

My solution was to make a copy of the old libexpat that could be used to bootstrap through the problems you are encountering. The other solution posted by VinzC uses ldd and some logic to determine the proper emerge order to get around the bottleneck.

The problem is that some of the build-time tools rely were made with the old libexpat. They got broken when the new libexpat was emerged. But none of the existing ebuilds record build-time dependencies, they only list run-time dependencies so Portage is clueless about what the proper order should be. My solution lets both libexpats exist on the system at the same time so the build-time expat dependencies don't matter. The other solution involves manually figuring out what the proper emerge order should be and then emerging packages in that order.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: