two or more emergings at a time?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dilandau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: two or more emergings at a time? Reply with quote

can and may there be done two or more emerges at a same time? i noticed that it worked but i have had also fails and would like to know if these fails maybe happened because of making two or more emerges at a same time. the possibility is not entirely blocked, so, maybe because if i really may do that. though, may i do it allways or just in some cases? if just in soem cases i would like to have a general guideline that clarifies in decision wether it is going to work in a case or not. this is not documented anywhere at the moment. the installguide just somewhere reads somewhat of multiple emerges if i understand that parameter in the make.conf correctly. or is that something different? whats it?
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two emerges parallel may work, but if the packages depend on some same component it can create serious problems. So normally don't do it.
The flag you are referring to is the -j I guess, but that's a special option in a Makefile to work in parallel. You'd better check the gmake doc at http://www.gnu.org/manual/make-3.79.1/html_mono/make.html#SEC47
It's a very usefull option for programmers, especially if you're working on multiprocessor platforms.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware of this issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: