Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentooers only forums
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should most of gentoo forums be only for gentooers?
Yes! All of them! N00bs must RTFM!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Yes. Most of them - they make sense only for gentooers anyway.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe some of them...
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Make availability and permissions based on karma :)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
None of them, we are fine.
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Don't even thing of it! We are not a private club!
73%
 73%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 49

panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: gentooers only forums Reply with quote

Well, actually I am not proposing forums available only for l33t. But as recently I see more and more performance problem on the gentoo forums site, I am thinking - how many posters are not actually gentoo readers? Of course some of forums are useless for non-gentooers: Installation, Portage. But many are used by non gentooers as well.

So, I've got a very crazy idea: what if to close some of forums for only gentoo users. Let's say, you could (somehow) update "gentooer" (why not have such) field in your profile only from Gentoo and those forums will be available only for such gentooers. Of course, Installation and Portage must available for everybody (Programming must be splitted and available only for gentoers). Of course there will be still "intruders" but that's ok. The performance will be improved.

Of course, if Gentoo will get sponsors for better servers/channels then all forums could be opened again.

What do you think? Bad idea?
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a ridiculous concept. the moment we do this the moment gentoo loses alot of its appeal as a welcoming and helpful and positive community.
beowulf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: gentooers only forums Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
Well, actually I am not proposing forums available only for l33t.

that's what it sounds like when i read this... assuming the word "l33t" means "select few"....
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: gentooers only forums Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
Well, actually I am not proposing forums available only for l33t.
That certainly seems like what it is.

Quote:
But as recently I see more and more performance problem on the gentoo forums site,
The main performance issue is that the forums and bugs sites are running on the same machine. Thursday afternoon, the server experienced some problems (I'm not certain if "what" has been discovered yet). There are plans to seperate bugs & forums onto different hardware.

Quote:
So, I've got a very crazy idea: what if to close some of forums for only gentoo users.
How do we determine a "gentooer" from a "non-gentooer"?
GXTi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: gentooers only forums Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
how many posters are not actually gentoo readers?

The few that arent gentoo readers are just having a little fun on the 'Off the Wall' forum, but thats not many...

panserg wrote:
(Programming must be splitted and available only for gentoers)

gotta love that spelling :D
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:

Don't even thing of it!

There is your answer ;).
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way it is now is absolutly okay!

cheers

SteveB
Death Valley Pete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a complete newbie ('newbie', not n00b - I can't stand 1337 notation), and Gentoo is my first serious experiment with Linux (tried RedHat, hated the package management, went to Gentoo a week later). I won't kid you, I came here for the hype: I too could have a totally optimized, non-bloated, and dare I say 'elite' :wink: system. I knew it was supposed to be for experts, but all the Gentoo backers on slashdot said that it wasn't hard to install if you follow the docs. So I gave it a whirl (on dialup no less). It was easy to get a base setup, but harder to get things to where I wanted them to be. There's absolutely no way I would have stuck with it if it hadn't been for these forums. Gentoo's user community is the best, most positive I have encountered for anything, anywhere. If you close off parts of the forums to anyone, then you'll become just another Debian.

Which, if you think about it, would make a nifty catchphrase:

Quote:
Gentoo: come for the hype, stay for the community.

Gentoo isn't the greatest because of portage, java-config, or anything on the LiveCD; it's the best because it's completely driven by a dedicated community that cares about the users.

My 2 cents.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it is Friday (lol, it was actually posted on thursday, oh well :roll:), nuff said!

Let's move on, everyone is welcome here and that's how it should be!

Erik
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe anyone would suggest this...

Puggy
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:
I can't believe anyone would suggest this...

I thought I was clear here:

panserg wrote:
Well, actually I am not proposing forums available only for l33t...

panserg wrote:
...What do you think? Bad idea?

Although, I still think that the fact I am running Gentoo on some boxes may give me something which makes more sense than amount of posts.
klasikahl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtfm newbies.

i dont want to waste my time with newbies, and these forums are being hit awfully hard (thus causing the mysql errors and downtime you've all seen). 75% of the install questions are answered clearly in the docs. rtfm

make the forums RO. you have to apply for posting abilities. MUWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH pwnt.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already a distro for people with that kind of an attitude; Debian.
If a n00b asks such a question you just have to give him a friendly direction where he/she cand find the answer without tell him to STFU and RTFM.

No need to be elitist och rude IMHO.
klasikahl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two kinds of newbies...

there are those who read the docs, sleep with the docs, and become the docs beofre they ask their question; and then there are those who dont even bother reading the docs before they ask...hell, there are even those who ask questions about the install and when you say rtfm, they ask where the docs are.

i have no problems with the first type of newbie, but the second and especially the third i cannot stand.

also, debian is newbish compared to gentoo. ;)
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people have got a bit carried away with persecuting newbies here. It's nobody's fault their a newbie and I for one welcome any newbie to the linux world. Just because a newbie posts a question that's been asked before doesn't mean they are not reading the install docs or whatever. Sometimes its just a little confusing and nice to have som clarriffication. Obviously some posts are a bit annoying as they ask a questino which is clearly documented in the install guide, but how long does it take to point them to that fact... no harm done.

One of the main reasons newbies (and others) come to gentoo is the great forum and community surrounding it. Throwing this away seems totally retarded.

One of the main points here seem to be some people trying to ban newbies to reduce the load on the forum. That is stupid. The stupid questions some refer to, make negligible difference to the forums I expect as they are nearly always answered in a single post.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klasikahl wrote:
rtfm newbies.
If you are bothered that much by the posts, ignore them. Leave rudeness at the door. Yes, there are more friendly ways to tell people to rtfm.

Quote:
make the forums RO. you have to apply for posting abilities.
This is already required. Guests use to be able to post, now it is required that they be registered.

klasikahl wrote:
i have no problems with the first type of newbie, but the second and especially the third i cannot stand.
Just to be clear, ignore the posts if you have that much of a problem with it. Gentoo has built a nice community, we don't need to tarnish it.

I think the original topic of the thread has been covered, so locking.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: