Kernel bug vs hardware problem: Need people to do a test
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Kernel bug vs hardware problem: Need people to do a test Reply with quote

I recently got a second hand blade 2000 with 2xUltraSPARCIIIcu@900 and 4GB of RAM.

It has worked fine up until I started the bittorrent client "rtorrent" on it. I can do a bucle like this:
Code:

while emerge samba;do :;done

Which makes samba compile again and again and again until it breaks. For hours, it can run without a hinch using many gccs in parallel, but the moment I started rtorrent... the gccs would segfault or "bus error" and the loop would end.

Since I only got this blade 2000 recently I can't easily discard a hardware problem, but it seems very weird that I would be able to compile stuff for hours and hours and it'd only break because of rtorrent, and this program has a history of uncovering hideous kernel bugs (in x86), so it's quite likely it's its fault.

It happens to me with 2.6.17.14 and by old-qla2xxx carrying 2.6.22.1 as well.

So, all I ask of you is to emerge and run rtorrent on your sparc64 boxes, leaving it downloading something, run that loop in some other terminal and leave that be for a few hours (or until it breaks). Then, report back including machine description and kernel version.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by rvalles on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattsteven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the bus error and the consistent reproducability it seems extremely likely that the torrent application is the culprit. I don't have the hardware to test it with to help you directly but this has bad memory management written all over it.
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsteven wrote:
With the bus error and the consistent reproducability it seems extremely likely that the torrent application is the culprit. I don't have the hardware to test it with to help you directly but this has bad memory management written all over it.

I trully hope it's the kernel, specially considering the fact rtorrent has uncovered other kernel bugs in the recent past, it doesn't use much memory or cpu itself (but does use madvice and mmap a lot) and it's an userspace app after all (other programs should not fail! specially not with the kernel not leaving anything on syslog)

But I won't be able to rest until someone else confirms the bug, because if it's a hardware problem it'll be a PITA for me (just got the box at ebay from another continent (ew!)).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: