Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
CFLAGS Central (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenon2050 wrote:
does it matter if MAKEOPTS="-j2" is set? I forgot to do it on my machine and already bootstraped and emerged and don't want to have to do it again...

Doesn't matter. That flag only controls how many subjobs make runs in parallel. You can set / unset it at any time, there's no difference in compiler output.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: my Cflags Reply with quote

hey can some one take a look at my CFLAGS for my pemtium-m !!!

Code:

USE="nptl x86 oss alsa apm arts avi berkdb crypt cups encode foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png
python qt quicktime readline sdl gd cpdflib slang spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv java zlib usb pcmcia msn yahoo dba"

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
-fschedule-insns2 -mno-push-args -mno-align-stringops
-fcse-skip-blocks -falign-labels -fdelete-null-pointer-checks
-fno-signaling-nans -fno-merge-constants -fsched-interblock
-fmove-all-movables -maccumulate-outgoing-args
-foptimize-sibling-calls"

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo ftp://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo"

SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

RSYNC_RETRIES="3"

MAKEOPTS="-j2"

AUTOCLEAN="yes"

ok, ok it is my entire make.conf :D

thanks in advance....
blueSceaDa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not over-exaggerate that about the cflags, this is quite enough, will cause less errors and won't be really noticeable slower:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

off-topic: maybe you then want to add something like LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1" (this seems 100% stable, as whole ubuntu is build with them, without patches for that, afaik) ... look at the LDFLAGS Central thread
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueSceaDa wrote:
off-topic: maybe you then want to add something like LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1" (this seems 100% stable, as whole ubuntu is build with them, without patches for that, afaik) ... look at the LDFLAGS Central thread

A compiler driver command line LDFLAGS (-Wl,-whatever) will mess up anything that links with libmysqlclient.so through /usr/bin/mysql_config.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
A compiler driver command line LDFLAGS (-Wl,-whatever) will mess up anything that links with libmysqlclient.so through /usr/bin/mysql_config.
Can you comment further on this? I've setup my desktop as a testbed server with Apache, PHP 5 (with mysqli support), and MySQL 4.1 without problems and I have LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1" in my /etc/make.conf file.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, perhaps it's fixed in the 4.1 line, but that line causes a lot of other stuff to break.
The problem arises because the LDFLAGS value gets taken over verbatim in mysql_config (i.e. with -Wl in front of each option, the form suitable for the gcc compiler driver) and then gets passed just like that to ld by software that souces mysql_config (and ld doesn't understand the -Wl syntax).

rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: my Cflags Reply with quote

orvtech wrote:

the first line is good. the rest needs to go. :wink:
most of those flags get turned on by -O2 and the ones that don't actually make things less optimized.
darkfolk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -fexpe
nsive-optimizations -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse -ftracer -funit-at-a-time -fprefetc
h-loop-arrays -maccumulate-outgoing-args -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -frename-regi
sters -fweb -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -fstack-protector"

My CFLAGS.[/code]
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkfolk wrote:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse -ftracer -funit-at-a-time -fprefetch-loop-arrays -maccumulate-outgoing-args -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fweb -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -fstack-protector"

My CFLAGS.

-O4 is pointless. The highest -O value is -O3. Change it to -O3.
-mmmx -msse -msse2 are already implied by -march=pentium4. Specifying them is a bad idea since they can theoretically interfere with certain low-level stuff. Get rid of them.
-mfpmath=sse is evil. It is much slower than the default and will break stuff. Do not use this, or -mfpmath=sse,387. Get rid of it ASAP and never look back, at least until GCC 4.0, preferably 4.1 - when they come out, i.e. Q4 2005 or so.
-fexpensive-optimizations -funit-at-a-time -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 are already implied by -O2. Get rid of them.
-frename-registers -fweb are already implied by -O3, but as some ebuilds filter -O3 it may be OK to leave them in - at your risk though (note that I use them separately as well and haven't had problems).
-ffast-math is iffy. I use it too, but some ebuilds may break with it. I filter it for those ebuilds. Use at your own risk, too.
-ftracer also breaks some ebuilds, notable tetex and openmotif. Use at own risk.
So I advise you change your CFLAGS to this if you want to have cool-looking flags and don't care about possible consequences:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse -ftracer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -maccumulate-outgoing-args -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fweb -fstack-protector"
and to this if you want a stable system:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fstack-protector"

drak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: my Cflags Reply with quote

orvtech wrote:
hey can some one take a look at my CFLAGS for my pemtium-m !!!

Code:

USE="nptl x86 oss alsa apm arts avi berkdb crypt cups encode foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png
python qt quicktime readline sdl gd cpdflib slang spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv java zlib usb pcmcia msn yahoo dba"

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo ftp://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo"

SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

RSYNC_RETRIES="3"

MAKEOPTS="-j2"

AUTOCLEAN="yes"

ok, ok it is my entire make.conf :D

thanks in advance....

Unless you know what you are doing I would remove the line that says ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" as this will emerge software which is in testing and not marked as stable (for all pacakges). This is almost a certain source for system instablity.

If you want to install a particular package as unstable it is better to add it to /etc/portage/package.keywords (create it if you dont have one) See example below of what to add

x11-base/xorg ~x86

This will emerge the latest version in portage marked as unstable / testing for x86 platform.

As for your flags

try "man gcc" and search for O2 this will show you all the flags that are implied by O, O2 and O3 optimisation, then you can remove all the ones you have duplicated and look at what is left to see what is likely to be causing you problems
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I advise people stay away from -fnew-ra. In the majority of cases it breaks compilation or, worse yet, causes the code to behave strangely at runtime. The graph-coloring register allocator that is enabled by this flag has been dropped from GCC 4.0 since it proved to be inferior. See http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html for more details.

rm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for info, following setting are ok8)

my system has neatly compiled with the following config:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -ftracer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common"
USE="acpi alsa cdr cjk dvdr font-server gtk2 hal ithreads mono nls nptl pthreads python readline tcpd truetype xinerama xml2 unicode userlocales X"

and I must say it's nice and fast. I'm running on a Shuttle SN41G2 with an Athlon-xp 2500 Barton, 1,5GB ram.

I just finished installing - starting from stage1 - gentoo on my notebook (Sony GRX with Pentium 4M 1600Mhz and 1GB ram).

Code:
CFLAGS="-O3 -mtune=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -ftracer -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -msse -msse2"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common"
USE="aac acpi alsa apache2 apm -arts avi berkdb cdr divx4linux dvd dvdread firebird font-server gnome gstreamer gtk2 gtkhtml hal ithreads -kde mmx mono nls nptl nptlonly -oss pcmcia pdflib posix pthreads python -qt readline sse tcpd truetype wifi unicode X xine xinerama xml2 xvid"

and here as well nice and fast :D

bye,
rm

[EDIT]
BTW: my desktop was first built with -O2 and without the LDFLAGS.
Adding those 2 features really makes a world of difference.

Last edited by rm on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm:
Do NOT use -mfpmath=sse or -mfpmath=sse,387. SSE floating point code produced by GCC currently runs much slower than 387 FP code. GCC currently is bad at modelling more than one register set at the same time. Remove that flag and let the compiler choose defaults.
Also, get rid of -mmmx -msse -msse2. They are utterly redundant and can potentially cause trouble. Benefit of specifying them equals zero.

rm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@moocha

well those flags are not in my desktop system, I just put them in my newly installed notebook.
Next time, I rebuild world I'll remove those flags (after checking the facts once more, somewhere else :wink: , no offense meant).

thx for the info.

bye,
rm
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS:
Code:
shrek@maximus ~ $ grep ^CFLAGS /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-mtune=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops -falign-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -mfpmath=sse -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ftracer -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fweb"
shrek@maximus ~ $ grep ^CXXFLAGS /etc/make.conf

Works well for the stage 1-on-3 install (link in sig), as well as emerging gnome and netbeans.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, are there any cflags specific to amd xp-m?

Have the 2500 512 cache version

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:

cheers

You should use -march=athlon-xp. Check the gcc manual:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

My flags btw:
CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon64 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fweb"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon64 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fweb -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fno-enforce-eh-specs"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
borkdox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty wrote:
carpman wrote:

cheers

You should use -march=athlon-xp. Check the gcc manual:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

My flags btw:
CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon64 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fweb"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon64 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fweb -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fno-enforce-eh-specs"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"

Any benefit from -Os?

I am about to emerge -eD world with these::
CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fweb -ftracer"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fweb -ftracer"
Moartel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is slightly OT, but i searched the forum half an hour for informations about the ldflags (they where explained in a really good thread some time ago, but i have no bookmark :( ) but did not found something that helps me. Maybe someone of you still knows where they where discussed and can help me.
borkdox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moartel wrote:
Maybe this is slightly OT, but i searched the forum half an hour for informations about the ldflags (they where explained in a really good thread some time ago, but i have no bookmark :( ) but did not found something that helps me. Maybe someone of you still knows where they where discussed and can help me.

Info on LDFLAGS::
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-226909.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-67777.html

So far I am still emerging world, I also added -frename-registers to my cflags, see what happens...
riogezz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know which flags should i set for a Pentium 90 with 32 MB ram.
I set up make.conf with:
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
USE="apache2 acpi mime fastcgi ftp gif jpeg imagemagick ipv6 ssl java python ncurses samba mysqli"

With this conf i always get errors in compiling with scripts/bootstrap.sh (compiling from stage 1).
I think it could be that maybe i set up wrong FLAGS
nightfrost
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks, I have 4 different make.conf files (make.conf, make.conf.1, make.conf.2, and make.conf.3). In addition to that I have a script in /usr/bin which I call softemerge. softemerge basically replaces make.conf with one of the other make.conf files and emerges the specified package with --oneshot. So, e.g.
Code:
softemerge kdemultimedia 3

will use the flags from make.conf.3, emerge kdemultimedia without adding it to world, and then restore the original make.conf.

Why this fuzz? Well, basically, I've noticed that -fvisibility-inlines-hidden and -fvisibility=hidden really improve speed, but several packages fail to build. Some of these packages might be built if -fvisibility=hidden is removed, others require both of the flags to be removed.

These are the relevant lines in my make.conf-files:

Code:

#CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" #uncommented in make.conf.3
#CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -fforce-addr"#uncommented in make.conf.2 and make.conf.1
#CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" #uncommented in make.conf.3
#CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden" #uncommented in make.conf.1
#CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fvisibility=hidden" #uncommented in make.conf.2 and make.conf.1
#LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1" #always uncommented

now, why don't I use -O3? Any system I tried that flag on has actually proved to be rather slow. The best perfomance boosts I've experienced are from the fvisibility-flags, ldflags (which have, by the way, never ever been the cause of problems for me), and -nptl. These three have given me a system about three times as fast as any other distro I tried (at least that's how it feels:)).
amon-ra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My amd64 laptop's make.conf. I enble bigger optimizations in programs such as xorg. What do you think about it?

Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -fforce-addr -funit-at-a-time -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fPIC"
#CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O3 -fforce-addr -funit-at-a-time -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ftracer -funroll-loops -funswitch-loops -fpeel-loops -ffast-math -fPIC"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
#CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -frepo"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
#LDFLAGS="-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"
nightfrost
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you definitely should remove -fPIC from your CFLAGS. Your basic idea, though, is very good I think- at least that's what I'm trying to do myself somehow :)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riogezz wrote:
I would like to know which flags should i set for a Pentium 90 with 32 MB ram.
I set up make.conf with:
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
USE="apache2 acpi mime fastcgi ftp gif jpeg imagemagick ipv6 ssl java python ncurses samba mysqli"

With this conf i always get errors in compiling with scripts/bootstrap.sh (compiling from stage 1).
I think it could be that maybe i set up wrong FLAGS

No, it's because compiling with 32 MB of RAM will most likely quickly die with an OOM kill.
I wouldn't use Gentoo on such a machine. Wrong distribution.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 35 of 37

Jump to: