changed mbd, cpu and case, result wierd net issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knute
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: changed mbd, cpu and case, result wierd net issue Reply with quote

Ok, I needed to do some upgrades and had a computer that had previously failed. I thought it was the mbd, but it was the cpu.

Anyway, after getting a new mbd, and then a new cpu and memory and then dinking with getting the wire on the mbd hooked up correctly :rolleyes: I finally got to getting the network setup so that I could actually switch the system from pentium 3 to athlon xp.

Anyway, my old computer had an intel lan on it, and it was set up as eth0 and really had no problems with it.

After moving the drive and everything, I struggled with getting eth0 set up. Recompiled the kernel with the via-rhine net drivers, but no joy.
I even went a step further and put in an old 3com 3c905b card, recompiled the kernel for the 3com driver, rebooted and tried to bring up eth0 again. still no joy. It kept saying that eth0 did not exist.

A while back, I had installed hwmon for some reason, and ran across it in my search.
Well, I used it, and found 2 nics set up as eth1 (rhine) and eth2 (3com).
I'm re-emerging system now, but I'm curious, where would I go to get rid of the old eth0 and reset it so that it's normal.
I mean, it works just fine as eth1, but that's not the point, I'm just curious where this setting is stored more than anything right now. :twisted:

TIA,
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security to Duplicate Threads, refer to topic "Want to get rid of eth1_rename [SOLVED] (udev103 and network".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: